©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hawk looking for another Master's Record Log

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Ok so I will be reporting on the entire week. This was my third week of triples, my heavy sets were nothing impressive and less than what I hit in the past, but they went up fast and felt reasonably light, the real problem was stabilizing the negative. So, while others may have been disappointed by low numbers, I was encouraged that with some more work I can drive the numbers up quickly.

My weight is hanging around 270 and fairly dry. The cycle is currently 900mg of Sust EW with 600mg Tren A EW. I may crank up the tren and if so I will dial back the T, but want to see how this works for now...I am also using 5iu HGH PRW only.

I have also implemented my new training split along with a new deadlift approach. Basically, it's a low volume of the Hepburn method which is basically use 80% and add a rep each workout.

It may be a bit too soon to speak to the effectiveness of what I am doing, but I am feeling good, recovering as well as enjoying myself.

Monday:
Squat 455x3,495x3,405x3
T bar 3x10

Tuesday:
Bench 335x3 375x2(it went up quick but my right arm got the shakes)315x3
DB curls 3x10
Incline 3x10

Thursday
DL 405x2,2,2 ( I am adding a set a week until I reach 5 then I will add a rep each week).
Laterals 3x10
Calves 5x5

Friday
Closer grip bench 265x3x3
Standing Press 3x10

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
12/25
Merry Christmas
Did some more deload yesterday and will take the rest of the week off. The cycle seams to be leaning me out some which is good although my weight is slowly climbing. So, I'm around 274 which is heavier then I want but what you gonna do?

Looking forward to the next month of singles and hoping I can get some stability back.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
12/29&30

Ok, so first week of 3 of singles. Even though I am pretty weak the weights felt more stable.

Monday
Squat 405x1,455x1,495x1,525x1,495x1 I hope to hit 565x1 in a few weeks
Tbar 4x10

Tuesday
Bench (paused) 315x1,365x1,385x1,135x35 (tricep still tight)
DB curls 50x4x10
Incline 225x3x10

Hawk

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
Love your journal brother. I'll be competing in 3 weeks. Looking to hit a 460+ squat, 320+ bench and 520+ dead at 165. The weight cut might kill me. But f it. By the way, I'm 41. Us old guys still have some left in us.

Great work in here !!

Last edited:

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Love your journal brother. I'll be competing in 3 weeks. Looking to hit a 460+ squat, 320+ bench and 520+ dead at 165. The weight cut might kill me. But f it. By the way, I'm 41. Us old guys still have some left in us.

Great work in here !!

Dude that's great and those numbers are more than impressive! If you have some time I would like to hear how you train as you follow my journey into my 40's and PLing.

And yeah, just as once as I ever was!

Good luck and keep me posted,
Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
1/2
Okay, I missed Thursday so I decided to do light bench followed by deads. After reading an article by Phoe I am changing my bench grip. Add that to spotting a young stud who threw around 405 easy has motivated and encouraged me.

I am trying to keep deads to a more medium volume/intensity approach. Trying to go heavy on both squats and deads is a bit much too recover from. However, I don't like the alternatives such as every other week or not at all such as west side.

My training continues to evolve as I understand myself. I am also gaining some much needed confidence and a smoldering in my gut. Not, the fire I want but it's a start.

Friday
Bench light: 265x3x3
DL 405x2x4

An easy day, but it was good for building on.
Hawk

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Glad I could help out brother it was just a repost from t-nation. I'm really interested to see how it works for you.

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
This will be my 1st PL comp in over 12 years. In those 12 years I focused more on size gain than strength gain (although the 2 go hand in hand). I stayed away from flat bench and just started back on it about 5 months ago, so hitting a 320+ 1st time out the gate will be just fine with me (it's that pause that kills me).

I am 5-3 and usually sit between 180-185. Not sure why I want to make the cut to 165 (maybe just to see if I can do it), but I may just stay at 181 and get the 1st meet in the books. BTW, this is just a local gym meet. Not A Federation like USPA or anything. That's next though.

I am one of those guys that has to have a set in stone training plan. I cant just go into the gym and freestyle it. So for this meet, I've been following to a T, a Routine out of Metroflex Powerbuilding Book. Looks like this:

Monday
Bench Press Paused
Wide Grip Bench Press
Dumbbell fly
Front Raises
Hammer Curls
Iso Prone Abs 1 minute
Side Iso Abs (right and left)

Tuesday
Squat
Olympic Pause Squats
One Leg DL
Side Bends
Plate Twists

Thursday
Close Grip Bench
Military Press (top of head)
Bent over fly
Leg raises (knees to chest)
Leg raises (straight up)

Friday
Squat Explosive (rest 45 seconds)
Deadlift
Lat Pull Downs
Shrugs

Last edited:

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
This will be my 1st PL comp in over 12 years. In those 12 years I focused more on size gain than strength gain (although the 2 go hand in hand). I stayed away from flat bench and just started back on it about 5 months ago, so hitting a 320+ 1st time out the gate will be just fine with me (it's that pause that kills me).

I am 5-3 and usually sit between 180-185. Not sure why I want to make the cut to 165 (maybe just to see if I can do it), but I may just stay at 181 and get the 1st meet in the books. BTW, this is just a local gym meet. Not A Federation like USPA or anything. That's next though.

I am one of those guys that has to have a set in stone training plan. I cant just go into the gym and freestyle it. So for this meet, I've been following to a T, the a Routine out of Metroflex Powerbuilding Book. Looks like this:

Monday
Bench Press Paused
Wide Grip Bench Press
Dumbbell fly
Front Raises
Hammer Curls
Iso Prone Abs 1 minute
Side Iso Abs (right and left)

Tuesday
Squat
Olympic Pause Squats
One Leg DL
Side Bends
Plate Twists

Thursday
Close Grip Bench
Military Press (top of head)
Bent over fly
Leg raises (knees to chest)
Leg raises (straight up)

Friday
Squat Explosive (rest 45 seconds)
Deadlift
Lat Pull Downs
Shrugs

Looks like you are in for a fun ride cutting down 20lbs...personally I would pass myself for an unsanctioned "fun" meet. But, I hate the strength loss that comes with it.

Your routine looks really well balanced. I am quessing the compound moves are low reps and the accessories are higher reps?

To be honest as you may see in my log I am really interested in how guys our age train. It looks like this is working well for you even with the volume of accessory work?

Hawk

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
Looks like you are in for a fun ride cutting down 20lbs...personally I would pass myself for an unsanctioned "fun" meet. But, I hate the strength loss that comes with it.

Your routine looks really well balanced. I am quessing the compound moves are low reps and the accessories are higher reps?

To be honest as you may see in my log I am really interested in how guys our age train. It looks like this is working well for you even with the volume of accessory work?

Hawk

The volume is low. For example:

First week of Bench is 5 sets of 3 with the weight increasing on each set.
Second Week is 4 sets of 3 with the weight increasing on each set.
Third Week is 3 sets of 3 with the weight increasing on each set.
4th Week is a Deload.
5th Week is 5 sets of 2 with the weight increasing on each set.
6th Week is 4 sets of 2 with the weight increasing on each set.
7th Week 3 sets of 2 with the weight increasing on each set.
8th Week is a Deload.
9th Week is 5 sets of 1 with the weight increasing on each set.
10th Week is 4 sets of 1 with the weight increasing on each set.
11th Week is 3 sets of 1 with the weight increasing on each set.
12th Week is a Delaod
13th WEEK IS THE MEET.

Accessory work is low volume as well. Mostly 5 sets of 5 at the beginning and tapering down just like the compound lift.

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
By the way, I was watching the live stream of IPL Worlds (USPA) last November and saw this kid kill it at 161 bw.

Squat- 589.737 lbs
Bench- 421.083 lbs
Dead- 661.387 lbs
Total- 1,672.207 lbs

WTF!!!!!

Rostislav Petkov 758.5kg total all time record at 75kg - YouTube

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
The volume is low. For example:

First week of Bench is 5 sets of 3 with the weight increasing on each set.
Second Week is 4 sets of 3 with the weight increasing on each set.
Third Week is 3 sets of 3 with the weight increasing on each set.
4th Week is a Deload.
5th Week is 5 sets of 2 with the weight increasing on each set.
6th Week is 4 sets of 2 with the weight increasing on each set.
7th Week 3 sets of 2 with the weight increasing on each set.
8th Week is a Deload.
9th Week is 5 sets of 1 with the weight increasing on each set.
10th Week is 4 sets of 1 with the weight increasing on each set.
11th Week is 3 sets of 1 with the weight increasing on each set.
12th Week is a Delaod
13th WEEK IS THE MEET.

Accessory work is low volume as well. Mostly 5 sets of 5 at the beginning and tapering down just like the compound lift.

Thanks for taking the time to share and my right brain loves the lay out. Some volume throught reps and then tapering with higher intensities. I suspect you will do great!

Hawk

TLopez

Jan 8, 2015
I was at Nationals in July and saw this kid. I competed at 165 SubMasters. Won best overall Submasters on wilks score.

You're right Xmen1234, wtf. He's not human. Btw, our #'s are similar. Trying to hit a 1,300 this weekend.

Good luck on the masters record Chicken_hawk. Are you planning on going to Nationals this year? I'll be there. It's a good meet at a great venue.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I was at Nationals in July and saw this kid. I competed at 165 SubMasters. Won best overall Submasters on wilks score.

You're right Xmen1234, wtf. He's not human. Btw, our #'s are similar. Trying to hit a 1,300 this weekend.

Good luck on the masters record Chicken_hawk. Are you planning on going to Nationals this year? I'll be there. It's a good meet at a great venue.

Good luck this weekend and LMK how you did. I have tons of respect for you both and the incredible numbers you lighter guys put up. My hats off to you both.

As far as my plans go, I know where I belong and it is not at the nationals or worlds. I am doing it a bit backwards and am going to get my lifts first and then choose a meet. I need to get my total over 1700 first, which isn't too far away. Once I hit that there are a number of masters records I can attempt. I ain't in a hurry and have 2 1/2 years left in masters 40-44, so we'll see.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
1/4 training summary

Still figuring shit out and one HUGE discovery was regarding my bench which has been stuck and painful for nearly 1.5 years. I have found that I suffer from a major lack of external rotation(humerus). Along with that the thoracic portion of my spine lacks mobility. So, this means I can't lock my shoulder blades together and explains why the negative portion of my bench takes so long and has a hitch in it...basically my rotators are taking more load then they can handle. The solution is a lot of stretching and some rehab work.

Monday
Squat: 495x1,545x1,525x1 I went down shaky but powered it up with NP. I did this with no wraps and it was not intimidating at all. I expect 585+ with some more heavy work and hopefully 600+ with wraps.

Tuesday: Struggled with bench and only hit 365x1...this motivated my research.

Thursday: Defecit DL 2 mats 405x1x5 Too many distractions, at least 10 people came to chat with me so I just said F' it and left.

Friday: Light bench and accessory/rehab work. Pressing is on hold until I get some more mobility.

Hawk

TLopez

Jan 8, 2015
1,700 is impressive for any age and weight! Sounds like you have a good strategy and out look on how to get there.

Yesterday didn't go as planned. I hit my 1st 2 squats and missed my 3rd (state record attempt, 463). After that I really didn't care about the rest of the meet. Especially after the ref told me, "if it wasn't a record attempt, I would have given it to you". WTF?!? It's either good or it's not!!!

Finished with my 2nd attempts for a total. Missed all 3rd attempts. My heart just wasn't in it after hearing the ref say that.

Squat 440
Bench 303
Dead 491
Total 1234 (same as Nationals)

Here's a vid of the squat. Tell me what you think.

[ame]http://youtu.be/0MIOid_m404[/ame]

Last edited: