©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What’s keeping most people from being freaks??

montego

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2018
Genetics first. Gotta have that to be a "freak".

Consistency.

Drive.

Knowledge.

I think that order is pretty spot on.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I remember Dorian Yates being the first true freak in size. Before him, there were some huge guys for sure. But nobody was in the freak zone yet. After Dorian became a freak, other freaks started popping out as well. Year after year, a new freak would emerge. Nasser was a very average bodybuilder, then all of a sudden, he became a freak. Jean Pierre Fux was an average guy as well, then within a year, he became a freak. Then Paul Dillet became freaky, then Greg Kovacs, let’s not forget Ronnie’s magic transformation.

All these freaks did one thing and one thing only different in their drug programs. Ronnie was training like a monster before he became a freak, then all of a sudden with no change in training, he morphed. None of these freaks trained any harder, or did more steroids than the guys before them. They also didn’t figure out some magic diet either.

Yes, genetics are necessary to become a freak. But you need a special type of genetics. The difference between the freaks and the rest of the guys are their genetic response to INSULIN. The guys who for some reason respond to insulin like crazy are the ones who become freaks. If insulin doesn’t do much for you, you’ll never be a freak. Insulin started the freaky era of the 90’s, specifically the mid to late 90’s.

Until you try an aggressive course of insulin, you will never know if you have the genetics to respond to the insulin and become freaky. Some people only gain 10-15lbs in an entire year of insulin use. Other guys gain 30lbs in 30 days the first time using insulin. By the time the year is up, they have added 60lbs to their frame.

So in my opinion, your genetic response to insulin will be the determine factor if your going to be a freak or not. Either you have it or you don’t. You’ll never know unless you try it.

It could be a factor. It's worth stating Dorian always says he didn't use insulin much and never liked it. Although saying something and the actual truth can be 2 different things. He has no real reason to lie though as he admits to taking a reasonable amount of steroids. It is true that there are more mass monsters due to hgh and insulin use. Those 2 drugs combined with aas helped bring in the mass monster era of the 90's. It's also safe to assume many top bodybuilders of today are taking massive doses of hgh and insulin.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
Laziness and lack of desire. If you truly wanted it most people could be freaks.

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
You have to want it above anything. There are a lot of genetic freaks who never live up to their potential because they are lazy and can't commit to anything. A lot of the time when things come easy for people it can even demotivate them. A freak athlete is all about genetics. To look like a freak that's more about food, drugs and training and doing whatever it takes.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
I'd say a combination of not enough food and consistency and progress on strength. I think for somebody wanting to go up in size, they need a good long break from competing. That doesn't correlate into turning into a fatass though, and I think a lot of people have a hard time distinguishing between the two. They either get way too fat and sloppy, or don't eat enough and look the same year after year. I'm not talking about looking softer from a little added fat, distended gut, and water retention either. I'd say, and I believe even John meadows has stated (correct this if I'm wrong), that if you can still see an outline of your abs, then keep going. Once it is gone, take a small cut and get it back under control. I see women eating more than some guys sometimes, lol. Some guys use a certain BF% as a line in the sand to not go over. IMO< I don't think somebody taking a 2-4 month off-season is going to gain much from the prior year or contest, if they are already pretty maxed out, that may happen with a newb, but once you are at your peak, it takes a lot more time to get more muscle. At some point you need to be on a caloric excess to continue gaining weight, along with some time. Where that caloric excess land with each person will probably vary. IMO, people would probably do better with a gradual increase over a longer period. Somebody cutting on 2500kcals might not want to immediately head up to 5-6,000 kcals....but again, this is going to vary person to person.

Guys like Meadows and BBOY, have aton of muscle, they have pretty much all they need (BBOY, correct me brother if I am wrong), so they are in a little different category. I don't think people realize how much muscle these guys carry.

I have to agree with both BigA and DoggCrapp from prior posts at ProM...

With DC (and others), if you have top genetics, you will know in a few months of training when you start passing others up who have been doing the same thing you are for years.

BigA mentioned that anybody can get bigger, but the genetic elite will have better appearance, roundness, muscle fullness, muscle insertions....you know, the look of a pro or somebody with good/great genetics. I agree with this too.

I think almost everybody can get pretty big, maybe a few with real shit for genetics can't, but for the most part everybody can get bigger or improve. You are not going to take a big guy like Hulk Hogan and make him into a top IFBB pro on a stage, he has the size, but still not the shape. He has genetics to get big, even at like what nearly 7' in height?

I do believe there are some guys, take Lyle McDonald for example, who just are never going to be real big. Talk about somebody getting the short end of the stick on genetics, it's him. Now, imo, this guy is a fukking genious, and i'd follow any advice he threw my way, I gobble up his postings, and writings, guy is top notch. However, even with all his knowledge and even if he had say Farrah or Chris coaching him (not that I think he would need it)....he's probably not going to go too far in the size department. IMO, some people need to keep things real and in perspective. And in this case, Lyle actually can get pretty lean, albeit, a very small guy, and with different goals, but he found what works and does best for him.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
If you truly wanted it most people could be freaks.

I don’t believe this for a second. The difference between the top level elite guys and the genuine freaks is a chasm. They’re not even playing the same sport. By the very definition of the word, only the absolute best of the best of the best can even begin to be considered freaks. Freaks are guys that reset the bar for what’s even possible in their given sport. They change people’s perception and make people question how much farther we can go as a species.

If most people could be freaks, then we’d be overrun with freaks right now just in the bodybuilding world. But are we? Not in my estimation. Freaks are the elite among the elite. They’re the guys that the top level competitors look at and wish they could be. They’re the guys that make the pros shake their head in dismay because they know that deep down, no matter how hard they train, no matter how much food they eat, no matter how many drugs they take, they can never get to that level.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Scully, I agree 100%. Do you think he meant freak or "pro size"? Because I believe many more guys can reach to pro size before they got to freak. But the pro size deal is super hard also. lol, I've been pounding away for ever and it just aint gonna happen..............

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Scully, I agree 100%. Do you think he meant freak or "pro size"? Because I believe many more guys can reach to pro size before they got to freak. But the pro size deal is super hard also. lol, I've been pounding away for ever and it just aint gonna happen..............

He may have, and I would agree to that to some extent. But the gap between pro size and freak is tremendous. The same holds true for power lifting. A lot of people could get to be competitively strong. Only a tiny handful will ever be freak strong.

I think maybe because we see so many guys now that are really big and have that pro size that the term “freak” has lost some of its meaning. The bar has really moved a lot in the last 20-30 years as to what a true freak is.

pharmahgh

May 15, 2017
I agree with a lot that was said diet, training, consistency, cycles, genetics all come in to play. My biggest downfall was not hiring a real good experienced coach much earlier. I hit walls where no matter what I do growth stops and then I think well I need a better slin protocol or more gear or 20iu of growth. Then I realize nothing is working but at that point Ive been stuck for a year with no gains just more water. First year with my coach I brought my body fat down to a consistent 7% and every part of my body grew i ended up putting on a solid 9lbs of muscle. I didn't understand hypertrophy training but even gaining the knowledge I get lazy and need to be pushed, I'm also in my mid 40s and get alot more tired than I used to.

Elvia1023

Oct 28, 2007
I posted about this on another forum. I agree with all who have stated you can be a freak. Sully I understand your post but I think we need to define the word freak on here. Freak as in Ronnie Coleman then obviously it's genetics and then comes the hard work and food and drugs etc. A top athlete as in football, soccer, basketball etc then that's all to do with genetics first and then comes the hard work etc. It doesn't matter how much 99% of the population wanted to look like them and how many drugs they took they could never reach their freak status simply due to genetics. No one shoudl even be debating that as it's blatantly obvious.

Now to be just a "freak" I agree almost anyone could do that. You don't have to look good to be a freak. Obviously guys with elite genetics will be able to do it much easier as they can grow muscle at an accelerated rate. They may also have great structure, shape and muscle assertions so they will look fantastic and freaky. But to me a freak doesn't have to have any of that. A freak could just be a monster and if someone wanted it enough they could get it. Most people could be huge and lean on here if they really wanted it.

CG obviously you are older now and have a fast metabolism so we need to be realistic. But if you were 20 years old and spent 15 years eating 5000-7000 calories per day taking in 5 grams of gear and loads of slin and hgh and never missing a meal could you become a huge freak... of course. This is not about health or would someone last it's solely a matter of could they get to that level. I think nearly everyone on this forum could do it the point is most don't want to nor do they have the crazy mindset to do it. Most (not all) have to have serious mental issues (body dysmorphia, insecure etc) to push themselves like that year after year. The average guy who wants to look good, does this as a hobby or competes but has some care with his health simply will not do the things that may be needed for him to get to that level of freakiness... I am exactly the same.

Anyone has the potential to take huge amounts of drugs, eat tonnes of calories, train hard and shoot loads of seo and after time they would be what I call freaky. They may look crap if they stepped on stage but that is not my definition of a freak. Martyn Ford is a great example of a freak and he definitely doesn't have elite genetics. He obviously is tall so that is genetics but he has built what he has through sheer hard work and consistency. Rich Piana was another freak and he was full of pmma and injected everything under the sun. The point is they done whatever it takes. You have to have a crazy mindset and really want it otherwise no one could be eating 10 meals a day and and injecting themselves for 2 hour per day etc. Not all freaks have to do that sort of stuff but I guarantee most people on here could become freaks in 10 years of 100% commitment to being huge and lean. They may die soon after but that is besides the point and we are just discussing is it possible.

Last edited:

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
You're right on the base point, Elvia. But I'm going to guess that most definitions of a "freak" when it comes to bodybuilding means the person has to look aesthetically pleasing as well as have tremendous size.

It takes consistency with the iron and in the kitchen, great structure, great genetics and a great response to all of the ancillaries that make it possible, imo.

lntense

Donating Member
Jul 25, 2012
I'd rather look like Calum than a Freak!

Calum is a genetic freak.

A freak in my opinion is someone with good proportions, height, can easily put on mass with minimal drugs, stays lean/shredded easily, and maintains decent health while doing so. I'm unsure about his health though.

G-FLUX

Jul 27, 2017
I'd say a combination of not enough food and consistency and progress on strength. I think for somebody wanting to go up in size, they need a good long break from competing. That doesn't correlate into turning into a fatass though, and I think a lot of people have a hard time distinguishing between the two. They either get way too fat and sloppy, or don't eat enough and look the same year after year. I'm not talking about looking softer from a little added fat, distended gut, and water retention either. I'd say, and I believe even John meadows has stated (correct this if I'm wrong), that if you can still see an outline of your abs, then keep going. Once it is gone, take a small cut and get it back under control. I see women eating more than some guys sometimes, lol. Some guys use a certain BF% as a line in the sand to not go over. IMO< I don't think somebody taking a 2-4 month off-season is going to gain much from the prior year or contest, if they are already pretty maxed out, that may happen with a newb, but once you are at your peak, it takes a lot more time to get more muscle. At some point you need to be on a caloric excess to continue gaining weight, along with some time. Where that caloric excess land with each person will probably vary. IMO, people would probably do better with a gradual increase over a longer period. Somebody cutting on 2500kcals might not want to immediately head up to 5-6,000 kcals....but again, this is going to vary person to person.

Guys like Meadows and BBOY, have aton of muscle, they have pretty much all they need (BBOY, correct me brother if I am wrong), so they are in a little different category. I don't think people realize how much muscle these guys carry.

I have to agree with both BigA and DoggCrapp from prior posts at ProM...

With DC (and others), if you have top genetics, you will know in a few months of training when you start passing others up who have been doing the same thing you are for years.

BigA mentioned that anybody can get bigger, but the genetic elite will have better appearance, roundness, muscle fullness, muscle insertions....you know, the look of a pro or somebody with good/great genetics. I agree with this too.

I think almost everybody can get pretty big, maybe a few with real shit for genetics can't, but for the most part everybody can get bigger or improve. You are not going to take a big guy like Hulk Hogan and make him into a top IFBB pro on a stage, he has the size, but still not the shape. He has genetics to get big, even at like what nearly 7' in height?

I do believe there are some guys, take Lyle McDonald for example, who just are never going to be real big. Talk about somebody getting the short end of the stick on genetics, it's him. Now, imo, this guy is a fukking genious, and i'd follow any advice he threw my way, I gobble up his postings, and writings, guy is top notch. However, even with all his knowledge and even if he had say Farrah or Chris coaching him (not that I think he would need it)....he's probably not going to go too far in the size department. IMO, some people need to keep things real and in perspective. And in this case, Lyle actually can get pretty lean, albeit, a very small guy, and with different goals, but he found what works and does best for him.

Such a solid post!

The Lyle part made me laugh because its so true! I've learned so much for him its crazy

johnsnowyo

Mar 21, 2018
Calum is a genetic freak.

A freak in my opinion is someone with good proportions, height, can easily put on mass with minimal drugs, stays lean/shredded easily, and maintains decent health while doing so. I'm unsure about his health though.

It's crazy to see how ectomorphic he was before he really started to focus on eating. I'd say yes Genetically he's a freak but not freaky haha

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
Genes are the key. Eating enough food is not enough, you have to be able to digest and absorb it. Ronnie didn't sleep as much as people are supposed to yet he grew. A guy that is born with more muscle fibers and the right type is way ahead of the pack.