©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Roy Nelson Makes PED Claim

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Roy Nelson: 'People who tend to be in our sport tend to abuse' PEDs - MMA Fighting

For approximately the millionth time in his mixed martial arts career, heavyweight Roy "Big Country" Nelson was asked Tuesday about his rotund physique and unruly hairstyle and beard.

But he's never quite given an answer like the one he gave during the UFC 161 media conference call.

Asked why he looks so much different than the rest of his contemporaries, Nelson, who meets Stipe Miocic in the co-main event at Winnipeg's MTS Centre on June 15, left no doubt why he thinks this is the case.

"People who tend to be in our sport tend to abuse performance-enhancing drugs, so that's why I don't look like a typical UFC fighter," Nelson said.

Nelson (19-7), of course, has been consistent in his stand against PEDs in recent years. Another thing he's become is a consistent winner. The Las Vegas native has delivered three straight first-round knockouts, the most recent victory coming when he finished Cheick Kongo at UFC 159.

"Big Country," who had been expected at one point to next fight Daniel Cormier, took the Miocic (9-1) fight on short notice when Soa Palelei had to drop out of the bout. It was elevated to co-main event status when the Mauricio Rua-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira fight dropped out.

"I wish I had more time, so I could give the fans 100 percent Roy Nelson," Nelson said of the short-notice bout. "But hey, what you do for the company, you do for the company. Stipe's one of the top guys in the UFC. He wouldn't be in the UFC if he wasn't one of the best in the world."

Asked why he took on a fighter like Miocic, who is respected, but not ranked, Nelson said "I think I got offered the Daniel Cormier fight and I think he turned that down. Then we went down the list to Travis Browne and so forth and so forth and so forth. ... Stipe was on the card and he was the only one that stepped up."

The way Nelson sees it, his bout with Miocic is simply another chance to get back to work and start moving up the ladder toward a shot at the heavyweight title.

"Yeah I mean on any given day, I know on any given day I can beat anyone else and knock out anyone else out," he said. "I'm usually looking to wrestle and grapple, but I guess the knockouts just happen."

Nelson was the star of an otherwise uneventful conference call. Having taken a swipe at other fighters over PEDs, he then finished things off with a bit of a lecture about bullying and bettering one's self.

"What separates me from other fighters is, I just want to fight," he continued, "A lot of people out there are bullies and they pick on people and call people names, you need to grow up from that and you need to become a better person."

wrees

Jun 1, 2013
Thats a bunch of BS. He is fat because he has never dieted and trained to not be that way. His fat belly, beard, and long hair are the only reasons he is in the UFC....its his character and people remember him for it. I think its disrespectful of him to claim he doesnt look like the other fighters because they use "performance enhancing" drugs.....yea im sure he has never used anything like that....BS. If you take drink a protein shake that can be considered performance enhancing. Honestly the guy isnt that bad....hes got some hands and and decent ground game for such a fat ass. I never liked him after i saw him trying to suffocate Mirko with his fat belly. Its all about fans tho...and think about how many hillbillys watch his fights just cuz they can relate to that fat belly, wild beard, and mullet!?

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Thats a bunch of BS. He is fat because he has never dieted and trained to not be that way. His fat belly, beard, and long hair are the only reasons he is in the UFC....its his character and people remember him for it. I think its disrespectful of him to claim he doesnt look like the other fighters because they use "performance enhancing" drugs.....yea im sure he has never used anything like that....BS. If you take drink a protein shake that can be considered performance enhancing. Honestly the guy isnt that bad....hes got some hands and and decent ground game for such a fat ass. I never liked him after i saw him trying to suffocate Mirko with his fat belly. Its all about fans tho...and think about how many hillbillys watch his fights just cuz they can relate to that fat belly, wild beard, and mullet!?

I've been in the fight game a long time- he's fat cause he eats like a fucking pig. Plus he's too scared to learn to fight as a lights person.