©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

METAL - enter @ your own risk

basskiller

AnaSCI VIP
Oct 29, 2004
One of the baddest Rush songs...

The Temples Of Syrinx

Rush-2112- II -The Temples Of Syrinx - YouTube

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Love the live version of Something For Nothing from All The World's A Stage ! Have to settle for the studio version on Youtube, which isn't quite as punchy.

Rush Something For Nothing - YouTube

basskiller

AnaSCI VIP
Oct 29, 2004
Straight out of line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't need a reason

Godsmack - Straight Out Of Line (AOL Sessions) - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
This classic will definitely put your subwoofer to the test ! :)

KoRn-Ball Tongue: MUSIC VIDEO! - YouTube

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Waking up to some thin lizzy this beautiful first day of 2013.
If any of you find a video for Unsung by Helmet could you post?
I'm still trying to get it to work as per earlier instructs. Thanks
TTTTTTTTTT.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
I played the hell out of that album back in the day !

Helmet - Unsung - YouTube

MR. BMJ

Sep 24, 2006
I've always really liked this song!

Black Sabbath - Megalomania - YouTube

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Marsh I first saw those guys in a college bar in the very early 90s.. Tiny venue
maybe a few hundred. Saw alice in chains sound garden blues traveler stp
pearl jam and several others in that spot. Most of those bands did the college
tour coming up. Lots of fun. Thanks for the vid. T

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
I remember a show in '84, about 6 bands, Venom, Celtic Frost were 2 of the ones that are still around today. Metallica was the least popular on the venue and opened up the show. My how times changed.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Another relatively unknown Sabbath song that I always thought was underrated. Thick, drudgy, early 70's power chords by the master (Iommi). Brings back memories of mustard colored corduroy pants and avocado colored refrigerators :)

Black Sabbath St. Vitus Dance (HQ) - YouTube

Last edited:

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Another relatively unknown Sabbath song that I always thought was underrated. Thick, drudgy, early 70's power chords by the master (Iommi). Brings back memories of mustard colored corduroy pants and avocado colored refrigerators :)

Black Sabbath St. Vitus Dance (HQ) - YouTube

Uh lets see vol 4 Never underrated by me . A favorite I think all or most of that album is on my gym mp3..
Thanks for the clip. ....T

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Another great Randy Rhodes riff

Ozzy Osbourne - Over The Mountain - YouTube

basskiller

AnaSCI VIP
Oct 29, 2004
One of the baddest Rush songs...

The Temples Of Syrinx

Rush-2112- II -The Temples Of Syrinx - YouTube

thought this was an interesting read that you might enjoy... or not .. depending on your view

THEY HAVE ASSUMED CONTROL
THE NEW PRIESTS OF THE TEMPLE OF SYRINX

By: Sean Scallon

Based on the work of Ayn Rand’s Anthem, the rock band Rush released the album 2112 in 1976 and it helped stamp themselves as an official “cult” band, meaning one that did not have mass commercial success but plenty of fans who bought their cassettes, records and, back then, 8-tracks religiously.

What started out as Canada’s version of Led Zeppelin quickly became its own brand as soon as drummer Neil Peart joined the band in 1975. Not only was he the new drummer, but he became the band’s chief lyricist. As a devotee of Rand, he began to include her words, phrases and concepts into Rush’s music and introduced a whole new generation to them. Such ideas would be in future albums as well until the 1980s, when the band went more mainstream as they gained commercial success.

Timing is everything when it comes to success in the music business and 2112 was released in an age when collectivism still had its hold on the much of the world but yet was going through a nervous breakdown of strikes, inflation, unemployment and general malaise that was dealt with in discos. It would not be surprising if the young geeks that would soon bring about the computer revolution of the 1980s were listening to 2112 in their garages or dorms rooms, hoping that their new creations: the personal computer and software to run it, would be like the hero’s guitar in 2112, the device that would bring down the villains of 2112 which were The Priests of the Temples of Syrinx, or better known in the real world as IBM.

But what made sense back then is still relevant today when we consider who the new Priests of the Temples of Syrinx are: the central bankers who are “assuming control” of the world’s economy and henceforth “all gifts of life” as the song goes.

The song 2112 takes up the entire side one of the album. In the song, we do not know who Syrinx is or what the priests believe about it. What we do know is they like controlling things, especially the planet Megadon where the young hero of 2112 and his friends live. They apparently control the planet’s culture and methods of communication ever since they created a more egalitarian society in the year 2069 in the aftermath of a great war.

And sure enough as we turn the clock to 2008, only 104 years away from 2112, we find the new group of priests using looking to take control of earth’s “gifts of life” as war rages across the planet and the whole economies of nation-states crumble.. When the hero presents a guitar he discovered in a cave while working for the central government and presents it to priests, they reject it and chase the young hero off because they see the instrument as part of the “elder” race, or the previous inhabitants of Megadon (which we believe to be Earth) which destroyed itself in decadence and eventually war. So as much as want to blame the priests of the Temple of Syrinx (or those now of the Temple of Finance) we must realize they control us because we let them. Or they let us wreck ourselves: too many cars, too many homes, too many luxury items, all of which is paid for again and again on unstable credit. And then we go and fight wars of dubious need and lengthy duration which only spend more phony money that doesn’t exist. When the system breaks down as it must and people become fearful and need someone to turn to, they of course turn those who can promise safety, security, a way out of their own mess.

Thus have we, from people on up through those we vote for to represent our wishes and desires, turned to the priests to save us from ourselves. And we turn to them because they demonstrate power and magic to attract followers. In this case their power is no trick. It’s based on a machine that can turn ordinary pieces of paper into something of value. Thus they can save the businesses and banks and the insurance companies with their magical machines that simply produces more and more value to pay their debts and satisfy their needs.

As the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx say: “We've taken care of everything the words you hear to the songs you sing. The pictures that give pleasure to your eye. It's one for all and all for one. We work together common son. Never need to wonder how or why.” Indeed as all banks, business and major corporations pay heed to their new masters, the only ones now that can provide the money that makes the world go round, they will soon control all that gives pleasure to the eye or at least holds its interest. The control they exercise is due to their magical machines that create money. Nothing can be bought or sold without it, no business, no government; no army can function without it. As soon as the Federal Reserve joined with other central banks around the world in an unprecedented measure designed to provide money to banks and other ailing financial institutions, they all but said as the words at the end of the 2112 chillingly said: “We have assumed control.”

The final part of 2112 is subject to several interpretations. Apparently the hero is going to kill himself in an attempt to journey from one life to another one where the former inhabitants of Megadon reside in their splendid world of freedom and creativity. The hero apparently is shown this world in a dream, and the elder race threatens to return and take back the planet from the Temple. If this is the case, why kill one’s self is such a world exists in reality? I always pictured the hero as one who leads a revolution against the Priests with the eventual hope the elders return to help them overthrow Syrinx. Of course before that happens, the priests take complete over control over all the planets of the Solar Federation, signified by its Red Star Banner, to crush the dissent that’s been sparked by the young hero. But we’ll never know how the story ends because Rush wrote no sequel to 2112 and no movie of it was ever made that could have expanded on the story.

That’s why I never viewed 2112 as a bleak, apocalyptic tome, but one where a single person can strike the spark for freedom. We’ve seen that already this year, in fact more than just one person. But until the revolution against the priests begins, the new Priests of the Temples of Syrnix have assumed control.