©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Kidney Health

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Hey all, we know of supplements that help with specific organ health, except for the kidneys. The biggest thing those in this lifestyle can do is manage BP. It's still amazing how many people don't do this or rationalize having a higher than normal BP. Aside from monitoring and controlling BP, Curcumin is an incredible supplement for kidney health (along with the heart, other organs, cancer prevention and overall health. All documented in studies).

Now this isn't an opinion and I'm not going to post up articles of somebody writing about why they think Curcumin is an incredible supplement. I'm posting links to medical studies via PubMed or other medical journals. Everyone here should take the time to read these!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435901/#sec3title

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28561324

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3814973/

https://www.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajprenal.90732.2008

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2018/08/09/378919

This was something I found on the Livestrong website (it came up in my search). Definitely check with your doctor.

Turmeric may contain substances that support kidney health, but the spice is also a source of potassium. One tablespoon of powder contains 196 milligrams of potassium. If you have kidney disease, you may need to limit the amount of potassium in your diet, which means limiting your intake of foods such as turmeric. People with kidney disease have a difficult time keeping potassium levels in balance, which can affect heart rhythm.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Just read through all the links. Really useful information I didn't know about curcumin. Thanks for posting.

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
What brands do you guys recommend? I heard some aren't absorbed that well.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Dante (DOGGCRAPP) posted this up regarding Astragalus in the same thread I have at PM.

Ive seen about 60 different individuals bloodwork over the last 3-4 years with kidney impairment and I put them on astragalus every time. Thats pretty much what i do every day now on facebook, answer PM's and look at guys bloodwork. Ive seen guys with GFR's at 28 turn that into 58 with astragalus....Ive seen 34's turn into 77's. It helps virtually EVERYONE that uses it except the people who have driven their kidneys too far gone to come back......Ive seen twice now where guys damaged their kidneys so badly with sky high creatinines (8.3) and GFR at 16...there was no coming back from that...and he went into kidney failure. its not a miracle worker but across the board preventative wise and damage wise its virtually the only compound Ive studied that can regenerate the kidneys to any degree. There is even a study out there of a lady who was in end stage kidney failure, doctors wanted to put her on dialysis and she used (if i remember right) 18-30 grams of astragalus a day and somehow regenerated her kidneys and got back to square one (im going by memory I didnt feel like looking that study up...these were readily available in my posts on facebook but there are alot more)

Astragalus

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...yjDOVazXVjmatCozI0FOi6HsVWxVFU1153rba2hmgbxBo

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scien...BwmDp7NAatvpgebEx5OOeB5zgBte6j1MqHJGD0_IhThQ0

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...cfkK6ljrOA9U3VrhMDJiKct2w7N0_EfymvoNLZtIncFjg

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...RbRX505lP2HJxUfukBLxUU11ndM3oJ7aUqlO4DiqpQsgk

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Dante also made this post as well...

1) From about 1990 to about 2009 I was known as one of the guys to go to ...to put put on size at the fastest rate possible. I stopped training people in 2009 and sadly Ive now become one of the guys to go to when bodybuilders mess up their health badly and they are at a dire decision making point in their lives. I dont mind helping people at all, not at all but ....and this is not embellishing at all...this is the straight out truth....in the last 3 years Ive come across about 22-27 bodybuilders asking for my advice because they are in kidney failure or fast approaching kidney failure.
This was kind of unheard of back in the 90's...I can remember hearing about 2-3 guys total that I heard about in the 90's (a high ranking NPC competitor from Indiana, and a few other high echelon guys and that was about it), it got more prevalent in the 2000's as the drug dosages (and diuretics) went up, and nowadays its becoming SADLY a regular occurrence (in the offseason). Im dumbfounded by the whole "out of sight out of mind" mentality of people in this sport who take their advice from people who espouse "dont worry nothing is going to happen to you, you can take all these grams of stuff and you will be perfectly fine".....Just in the last month there have been 3 guys Im trying to help out here with severe kidney problems and Im starting to get kind of pissed at the whole "dont worry you can abuse yourself and be perfectly fine" crew just as much as im getting pissed at guys who have abused themselves to the ninth degree and think there will be no consequences.
Some of these guys come to me and i have to be straight up honest with them and say "why werent you taking my advice when i was talking preventative methods for the last decade and a half online"? "Now you are presenting me with a problem that I cannot really get you out of, there is no miracle happening when your creatinine is 5 times plus over normal, and your GFR is below 20...its wishful thinking but im sorry the truth is you are going to go into dialysis and there is nothing i can recommend to you at this point that is going to prevent that.
I know alot of you guys who have asked for my advice, Ive given it to you on what i would do if i was you at this point....but do you know what you could do for me? Ill tell you. TELL YOUR STORY. TELL IT. Tell these guys in the sport the mistakes you made, how you got to this point, and where you are right now. Why? Because that story will stick with some (some not all) of these guys in the sport WAY BETTER than Dante Trudel's rant today about this problem that is becoming way too common now in today's sport. People are using 3x the weekly testosterone dosages that were being used in the 1990's, 3x the weekly dosages of tren and virtually everything else, 3-5x times the dosages of GH, its gotten ridiculous. The physique guys because they have to look rock hard year round for appearances are using orals and harsh androgens year round which again is exacerbating the above problem (nevermind 99% of you would faint at your lipid bloodwork if you actually got bloodwork smack dab in the middle of this harsh usage).
The science community and others used to worry greatly about liver problems in the sport back in the old days. Stick that in the garbage bin to be honest with you....dire liver problems are few and far between. Raised enzymes...so common its like clockwork and pretty easily fixed, but the truth of the matter is unless you are abusing high dosage orals for lengthy amounts of time (whereas adenomas are what needs to be worried about in that case) liver problems are minute in the sport.
I used to feel the main health problem bodybuilders needed to worry about due to their drug abuse was cardiomyopathy and atherosclerosis (especially cardiomyopathy). Seeing all the kidney problems there are that are happening left and right now has skewered my thinking and this is now tied or kidney problems rate an incredibly close second place. Ive said time and time again that any bodybuilder really pushing the ergo aids should be on curcumin, ubiquinol and arjuna to prevent cardiomyopathy. Those three compounds will put you in the best position to prevent heart enlargement and have been shown to remodel heart tissue. (I know ive not been talking about BP in this post but cmon if you reading this right now dont know the importance of getting that down and keeping that down thru supplements, BP meds, and exercise whathaveyou....then I probably had already lost you by the 2nd sentence of this post and you skipped to the next post on your timeline.)
I really hate writing on facebook because what i write ends up disappearing and cannot be referenced again (like it can on blogs or message boards)....but I was inclined to write this post because these constant PM's concerning NPC competitors and IFBB pros with kidney problems is really getting to me. I need to sit down and write a long post about preventative measures here (obviously acceptable BP ......thats been repeated ad nauseum), mainly about one compound that every single bodybuilder in this sport who is using ergo aids should be using.
Astragalus. I promise when i get the time i will write it all out but do me a favor and add that compound to your daily supplement stack as a favor for me ok. There is some benefit to be said in this area with grape seed extract and pycogenol but astragalus is virtually the only compound that research shows regeneration of kidneys and a raising of GFR (which is virtually nonexistant with any other compound or drug out there). Ive previously put up a wealth of information on Astragalus before on GU'd up newsgroup and people got hooked on one study that showed (going by memory here, id have to look it up again) someone who was in kidney failure that reversed that kidney failure totally by using 18-30 grams of astragalus a day. Leave it to bodybuilders to go to the extreme and deem something unworthy unless they use the exact dosage of someone that was in kidney failure. Are you in kidney failure right now? NO? Then why would you need to take 18-30 grams a day? Im talking a preventative maintenance dosage of 2 to 5 grams a day split in a morning and nite dosage. Thats pretty easy with 500mg capsules. Four caps morn and four caps nite give you 4 grams astragalus a day.
Your job as a bodybuilder isnt always about gaining muscle mass. You should put the same amount of thought process and effort in maintaining your health. So again ASTRAGALUS....take it, split dosages morning and nite. PS: I wanted to also go into telomerase production, DNA strands, Astragaloside IV, length and health of telomeres, anti cancer etc etc etc....but i thought man if you want to lose the crowd that will do it.....so I will leave you with this, besides the implications this compound has for kidney health, one search by you on astragalus and telomerase+anti aging+ longevity will shock you on what the science community is finding out about this ingredient and telomerase. The 23 and me crowd who gets geeked out on this topic....take a close look at Astragalus and telomeres in a search. The rest of you, bodybuilding brethren, it makes me feel awful getting these PM's, I dont want anyone to go thru dialysis if they can prevent it from happening, please look into adding Astragalus to your mix of things. (PS I dont sell astragalus or curcumin or arjuna....or 99% of the things I recommend strongly for bbers health....this is an Amazon buy for you)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just some interesting tidbits for you. Ive been on your guys for years to add the compound Astragalus to your regimen. Ive seen this all in the last 30 days or so

Bodybuilder 1: GFR down in the mid thirties, creatinine raising steadily over time...(advice on what to do asked at this time)... slight changes and of course Astragalus added in a good dose morning and night. Six weeks later GFR is at 58 and rising.

Bodybuilder 2: June his creatinine was 1.70, his GFR was 50, this bodybuilder is very respectable with his health and he got on to it pronto. I told him what i would do if I was him but he really got after it and changed his diet up, got very educated about all this, made the changes needed and added astragalus at a few grams of it a day and here we are in October and Creatinine is 1.08 and GFR is up at 90!! Huge change

Bodybuilder 3: Came to me for advice because he received very bad bloodwork. I asked him all the particulars like I ask everyone. Wow GFR was 16. Creatinine was 8.3. I gave him as much advice as I could but I knew there was nothing miraculous that was going to happen at this point. You cannot drive something that far gone and come back from it....there isnt a path. He is now on dialysis and I wish him the very best.

People in this endeavor are sometimes so driven they go about everything with blinders on, and its an out of sight out of mind mentality until its too late. You ABSOLUTELY have to get on top of some of this stuff or there is no coming back from it. Personally I am always here to help but you have to give me a plateau and some breathing room in which i can help you on

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
Life Extention, Divine Bounty and trying a new one from Bio Schwartz.

I need to order more supps. I ran out of most and didn't order again but time to be more serious about my health. Life Extension is a great brand but I will check out the other ones.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
It still surprises me the amount of people who walk around with high blood pressure all the time when it could be lowered very easily. Although it's no surprise so many bodybuilders have kidney issues.

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
How about some High BP supps! That’s what caught my eye this post ! Yes I agree ! It’s the silent killer and I’ll bet most people on AAS over time developing it ! Besides Hawthorne berry ,vitamin C , cinnoman extract , beet extract etc! What lowers BP

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
It still surprises me the amount of people who walk around with high blood pressure all the time when it could be lowered very easily. Although it's no surprise so many bodybuilders have kidney issues.

How cuz I don’t find easy to lower but welcome any suggestions

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018

Like I do ton activities, use supplements, eat right , no smoke , no drink , don’t run in family I even use Lisinopril illegally yet still 130/73 which still up from before 120/80 .

Viking

Nov 11, 2011

I meant prescription medication if it's a major problem. There are many different types of bp medication but an ACE inhibitor could be worth taking (through a doctor). Otherwise I would go with carditone as that is very effective at lowering blood pressure.

ketsugo2

Apr 26, 2018
I meant prescription medication if it's a major problem. There are many different types of bp medication but an ACE inhibitor could be worth taking (through a doctor). Otherwise I would go with carditone as that is very effective at lowering blood pressure.

Thanks

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
I have found the best non prescription supps for blood pressure are carditone, grape seed extract, hawthorne berry and ubiquinol. Some people (rare) don't respond well to carditone and if that is the case I would add magenesium to that list (carditone contains magnesium which is great for bp). You can also get NOW foods Blood Pressure Health that contains Grapeseed extract and Hawthorn Berry. The ubiquinol I would go with a good brand such as Life Extension. That combo should do wonders for blood pressure and I use it myself. I also use 1 gram vitamin c twice daily now which can also help.

This thread mentions curcumin and that is another fantastic supplement for overall health (heart, kidneys, inflammation etc). I think every bodybuilder should be using curcumin and ubiquinol if they care about their health. Only issue is they are both very expensive if you get a good brand such as Life Extension (what I recommend).

It should go without stating that a clean diet will do more for blood pressure than most things. Cardio will also lower blood pressure and improve general health. In addition to drinking plenty of water throughout the day (between meals).

I don't like to throw supplements at people but if blood pressure and kidneys are an issue/worry you can't go wrong with carditone (is you respond well), ubiquinol, curcumin and astragulus.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Been taking 2 gram of astragalus per day for awhile now. Looks like Dante is now recommending 4-5 grams per day. Just bumped it to 4grams this week. I've never had any renal problems, GFR and everything always in the normal ranges. Well, creatinine sometimes elevated, but probably from slight dehydration and also training a few days prior. Never had a creatinine clearance test though.

IMO, one of the best things to do is incorporate cardio into the mix. It helps a ton.

Of course healthy eating and not getting too out of shape with bodyfat helps.

My BP is almost always normal, but I have spikes here and there like everybody else. I have BP meds on hand if needed, but wouldn't be afraid to take Carditone as well as a quick option.

Drinking plenty of water helps as well.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
Curcumin is a great supplement and also helps with inflammation and my joints.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Been taking 2 gram of astragalus per day for awhile now. Looks like Dante is now recommending 4-5 grams per day. Just bumped it to 4grams this week. I've never had any renal problems, GFR and everything always in the normal ranges. Well, creatinine sometimes elevated, but probably from slight dehydration and also training a few days prior. Never had a creatinine clearance test though.

IMO, one of the best things to do is incorporate cardio into the mix. It helps a ton.

Of course healthy eating and not getting too out of shape with bodyfat helps.

My BP is almost always normal, but I have spikes here and there like everybody else. I have BP meds on hand if needed, but wouldn't be afraid to take Carditone as well as a quick option.

Drinking plenty of water helps as well.

I found a company that has Astragalus at 2,000mg per cap, 200 caps per bottle.
https://www.nusapure.com/collections/all/products/pure-astragalus-2000mg-per-caps-max-strength-200-capsules-non-gmo-supports-cardiovascular-health-boosts-immune-function-improves-inflammatory-response-100-money-back-guarantee

They have a large variety of supplements! I don't know much about the company but they are interesting.

https://www.nusapure.com/collections/all