©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

AR-15 80% lower receiver

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Has anyone here built their own AR using an 80% lower receiver? I've watched the videos on YouTube, and they've got me interested. I have all the necessary tools including routers and such, I'm more interested in the quality of the kits and the quality of the finished product.

From a money standpoint, it almost doesn't seem to make sense to use an 80% lower. The cost of an 80% lower isn't much, if any, lower than just buying a ready to build stripped lower. And when you add the cost of the machining blocks and everything else you need, it's going to be more expensive than going the traditional route.

The fact that you can build an unregistered weapon isn't part of the appeal for me. My motivation is more that I'm a fabricator, and I like to build things, and this seems like an interesting project. If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear it.

Here's a video of the kit that I'm looking at, for anyone that's interested.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SiHdV5slQps[/ame]

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Yeah. Magnus as well. Cali made it illegal now. Its more economical if you purchase a bulk package. You get a lot more lowers for cheaper than paying for dros. Each state is differemt about gun laws regarding the amount you can purchase at a time, if they need to be registered with the state and etc. It is for those dooms day anti gov people like myself. But im beyond that, been there done that. Better options out there than an m4 in any caliber.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Stay away from polymer but if you do then the polymer 80% warthog is the option. Need to research because not all 80% lowers will be mil spec and jigs will not match up. No mixing and matching of brands either. One jig for one lower per brand. A jig only has so many uses as they are poor quality. Fyi.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Yeah but i meant the company and already knew he was lookimg at a .308 ... but i would stay away from polymer as there are other brands with cnc'd lowers for the same price if not lower.