©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Tyson to fight again

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
Hang it up tyson, hang it up. i guess crackheads still need money.

ce: Tyson to Announce Return to Ring

Email this Story

Apr 11, 9:07 PM (ET)

By HOWARD FENDRICH
WASHINGTON (AP) - Mike Tyson is returning to the ring.

The former heavyweight champion will fight for the first time in nearly a year, facing journeyman Kevin McBride on June 11 at Washington's MCI Center, a boxing source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Monday.

Tyson and promoter Marty Wynn planned to announce the bout at a news conference Tuesday, the source said.

Tyson's manager, Shelly Finkel, did not immediately return a phone message left at his office Monday evening.

The 38-year-old Tyson is 50-5 with two no contests and 44 knockouts. He lost two of his last three fights.

Leading SchoolsUniversityof PhoenixWaldenUniversityKaplanEllisUndergradDevryOnlineJonesInternationalKWUKellerGrad School of Management
Choose a programBusinessMBAComputers& ITHealth& MedicineEducationEngineeringCriminalJusticeAssociatesDegreesCanadianResidents

In his most recent outing, in Louisville on July 30, he was stopped in the fourth round by Danny Williams after tearing cartilage in his left knee.

That was Tyson's first fight in 17 months - and his first loss in a non-title bout. He's entered the ring just once a year since 2001, earning a technical knockout victory over Brian Nielsen in October of that year, getting knocked out by Lennox Lewis in June 2002, and knocking out Clifford Etienne in February 2003.

Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion ever when he knocked out Trevor Berbick at the age of 20 in 1986.

McBride, 31, defeated Kevin Montiy by technical knockout on March 18 in his last fight. Born in Ireland and now based in Massachusetts, the 6-foot-6 McBride is 32-4-1 with 27 knockouts.

GetSwole

Apr 10, 2005
regardless of his age and losin streak..he will still draw money$ and make it :smoker:

Diesel

AnaSCI's GridIron God
Jan 30, 2005
Ghetto
ya know what i beat hes gonna come back witha shit storm...bet me...he hit up a lil juice...ora lot, prolly some GH and hes prolly actually been trainin now...he would knocked danny the fuckout by the way if not for his knee, tysons my boy GETEM MIKEY!

Jaysonl1424

Nov 9, 2004
Tyson is like the Ken Shamrock of their sport. they both domminated in their prime but now they have both lost back 2 back fights. They are getting to old need 2 hand em up n get into the hall of fame

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
Updated info 4-13-05

with this type of shit, that is why he is unstable for the boxing ring. let him go u.f.c.

Tyson Promises 'Train Wreck' for June Fight in D.C.

Email this Story

Apr 13, 3:08 AM (ET)

By HOWARD FENDRICH

(AP) Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson, right, and Kevin McBridge gesture after a news...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - Mike Tyson simply laughed after he listened to his next opponent's manager promise an upset.

Then, after standing toe-to-toe with Kevin McBride to pose for photos, Tyson clasped the Irish fighter's hand, patted him on the back and winked.

Is this a kinder, gentler Iron Mike?

"I don't get into the staredowns and the talking trash. I'm older, so I'm not really too much into that," Tyson said Tuesday. "I don't want to punch a guy in the face before the fight starts."

This from the man who brawled with Lennox Lewis three years ago at a news conference announcing a bout, who vowed to eat Lewis' children, who bit off a piece of Evander Holyfield's ear, who was convicted of rape in 1992.

On Tuesday, in town to announce his fight at the MCI Center on June 11 against McBride, Tyson seemed to alternate personas.

At times, he was introspective or doted on his three children who joined him on stage. At others, he came close to being the Tyson everyone has come to expect: the curiosity promoters hope can still sell tickets and pay-per-view buys even though he's 38 and lost two of his past three fights.

He talked about sinking into depression, called McBride "real cute," labeled himself "probably the worst husband in the world," and told a PR person running the show to "chill out" when she pointed out it was time for more posed photos.

"I just hope these people of Washington, D.C., are prepared to handle this," Tyson said. "It's going to be a train wreck."

It will be the former champion's first fight in nearly a year, and just his second in 28 months. In his most recent outing, at Louisville on July 30, he was stopped in the fourth round by Danny Williams after tearing cartilage in his left knee. Tyson had surgery - the knee is fine, he said Tuesday - and he's been training in Phoenix for three weeks.

(AP) Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson answers questions as his son Miguel sleeps on his...
Full Image

The 6-foot-6 McBride, 32-4-1 with 27 knockouts, was originally supposed to be Tyson's opponent for that July bout. Make no mistake, though, this fight is entirely about Tyson. McBride's name wasn't even uttered by master of ceremonies Rock Newman until nearly 20 minutes into Tuesday's event.

"It's a no-win situation for me," said Tyson, 50-5 with two no contests and 44 knockouts. "If I knock him out in two seconds, he's a bum. If he gives me a shellacking, I'm a bum."

For his part, McBride vowed at least three times: "I'm going to shock the world."

"You have to respect every heavyweight in the business, because all it takes is one punch - and I have that punch. I have no fear of Mike Tyson," McBride said.

His manager, Rich Cappiello, was more specific.

(AP) Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson gestures during a news conference announcing his next...
Full Image

"If people are thinking we're coming to lay down ... we are coming out to knock Mike Tyson out. He had his day. His day's gone," Cappiello said. "I think Mike Tyson gets knocked out within five rounds. We are going to stop Mike Tyson and hopefully end his career."

Tyson has been more than $30 million in debt, and when asked how much longer he thinks he'll keep fighting, he answered: "Long enough to take care of my children - a long time."

While he said he doesn't want to think about another title shot, and said sports fans will decide his legacy, Tyson didn't hesitate when asked who the best heavyweight is right now, saying: "Me."

He also discussed how down he was after knee surgery.

"I was in that little square-box room, and I was on crutches, and it was a very depressing atmosphere. I just fell into a deep depression," Tyson said. "Once those painkillers wore off, it was horrific. I didn't know what to do. I was just like a little spoiled brat. I was at my worst self."

He paused, before adding: "I'm just so happy that I'm happy again."

And then he cackled, a high-pitched squeak that reverberated off the walls of the Lincoln Theater.