©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Hawk looking for another Master's Record Log

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
1,700 is impressive for any age and weight! Sounds like you have a good strategy and out look on how to get there.

Yesterday didn't go as planned. I hit my 1st 2 squats and missed my 3rd (state record attempt, 463). After that I really didn't care about the rest of the meet. Especially after the ref told me, "if it wasn't a record attempt, I would have given it to you". WTF?!? It's either good or it's not!!!

Finished with my 2nd attempts for a total. Missed all 3rd attempts. My heart just wasn't in it after hearing the ref say that.

Squat 440
Bench 303
Dead 491
Total 1234 (same as Nationals)

Here's a vid of the squat. Tell me what you think.

First, I know it sucks when things don't go your way in a meet, but we have all been there and would enjoy kicking back with a cold one with yah and discussing meet tactics. However, I suspect you will use this for motivation once the frustration wears off.

Regarding the squat, it was hard to tell depth from the front angle, but it looks like it was on the line. In the USPA I have seen them call at that height, but if it is a record attempt I suspect they would want there to be no question it was at depth. That being said, you're gonna get that record no doubt!

The problem is that when you get to the top tier of your class it means you are freakin strong and gains come slow. Plus breaking records happen when all things are perfectly aligned.

Plans from here?
Hawk

TLopez

Jan 8, 2015
The problem is that when you get to the top tier of your class it means you are freakin strong and gains come slow. Plus breaking records happen when all things are perfectly aligned.

Plans from here?
Hawk

Ain't that the truth. Plans right now are to take a little break from heavy stuff and work on form with more volume. If my Buddy from Hawaii qualifies for Nationals I will go compete with him. Other than that I don't have another meet planned yet.

Sorry if I missed it but when is your next meet and what records are you going for?

-T-

Last edited:

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Ain't that the truth. Plans right now are to take a little break from heavy stuff and work on form with more volume. If my Buddy from Hawaii qualifies for Nationals I will go compete with him. Other than that I don't have another meet planned yet.

Sorry if I missed it but when is your next meet and what records are you going for?

-T-
First thing, I set the uspa 242 masters 40-44 full power record. It was 1573 and I hit 1578. I had more in my dl but played it safe...it has since been broken and now sits at low 17's.

Honestly, there is no way I want to cut down to 242 again. I am pretty good size from years of bbing and sit at 5'11" and 275. I do have some fluff but quit bbing as I was tired of cutting.

Anyway, I said that to say I was going to go for the spf 259 masters full power record which was 1603, but in December was raised to 1711...so that's on hold. Efferding has the 275 at 2400 lol.

There is also the classic raw uspa at 1763, but I don't know as I have only been pling for 3 years and not sure how much more I got.

So, to answer your question, at this point I am simply going to get my total to 1700 then pick a meet. I suspect that will be in the fall. At that point I will see what records there may be and have actually given some thought to single ply. ..heck some single ply record are lower then raw in the uspa. I suspect I could hit close to 2k with single ply gear. Don't get me wrong I didn't start this for records, but now I not only need it for some motivation I also would like the credentials. I want to work some with up and comers and the only way for people to take you serious is to be russian or have records.

Sorry, for the long winded answer.
Hawk

TLopez

Jan 8, 2015
5'-11" and 275?!?!!? You're a fucking monster.

At our age, this game becomes more of a struggle. But, I like that. Would be cool to see you at a meet. I promise I won't make you feel small. Lol. Good luck to you and your journey to 1700. You have the right attitude to get there. I have no doubt you will.

If you do a meet near the south west coast let me know. It would be cool to meet you.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
5'-11" and 275?!?!!? You're a fucking monster.

At our age, this game becomes more of a struggle. But, I like that. Would be cool to see you at a meet. I promise I won't make you feel small. Lol. Good luck to you and your journey to 1700. You have the right attitude to get there. I have no doubt you will.

If you do a meet near the south west coast let me know. It would be cool to meet you.

That would be cool. I am not sure if I will lift that far away, but I have some friends who may be going to the Olympia. If they do, I am there. It's always cool to meet guys from the board and we would have a blast. Nonetheless, never say never...right?

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
1/12-13

Feeling positive. Building some much needed confidence. 1700 may be closer than I thought.

Monday
Squat(no wraps) 495x1 (flew up),565x1 (heavy but had another 30+),495x1
T bar 4x8
Calves 4x5

Tuesday
Well, my bench has been a total suck fest lately due to lack of mobility. So, for the past week I have been stretching religiously. I stretched before benching today and was able to improve my ROM significantly. I still have weeks or months to go, but I can see 450 in the near future. Anyway, I am just doing controlled singles on my heavy day and then add 10lbs each week.
315x5x1
Flys 3x10 (working on stretch)
DB curls 4x8

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
1/15-16
Thursday, it was my last deadlift day of this cycle so I decided to see what was in the tank. A few things to keep in mind are that I am at the end of a cycle, just squatted on Monday and have not pulled more than 405 since July. So, what the hell why not? It was the first time I felt like at least wanting to know where I stood even if I wasn't at my best.

DL singled up to 545x1. Didn't have too much more, but I can work with this.
SBS just a few light sets 225x3

Friday, started with some stretching which helps my shoulder mobility. I also threw a plate under the end of the bench to give it a slight decline. This allowed me to to keep my shoulder blades pulled together all the way down. I can't tell you the last time I was able to do that. I suspect it will be another few months before I have the mobility to work up to some serious weight again. But, it is necessary and I have the time.

Bench(above) 275x5x2
Side laterals 45s x4x8
Shoulder mobility band work
Calves 3x20
Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
So, I have wrapped up my 3 month cycle of getting back into heavier weights(intensification) and while I enjoyed some success it's time to move on to another accumulation phase. I am going to increase the volume and frequency to gain some more efficiency. Then I will do another peaking cycle.

At this time I am looking far off into December and a SPF meet in Ohio if they have it again. Not, only will this allow me to pace myself, but I will have time to rehab my shoulder and run a complete peaking cycle after the summer. Keep in mind I make very little progress in the hot summer months.

More to come,
Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Last few weeks.

So, I have been slacking on here, but not at the gym. I am cutting some and am down about 5 lbs to 268. The goal is 260, but we'll see. I am also working on restoring mobility to my external rotators. This involves plenty of daily stretching and strengthening the weak links. I am pleased with the small amount of progress I have made, but there is a long way to go to even reach normal.

Training wise I wanted to stay heavy but start an accumulation phase which include training each movement or variant 2x week.

Template
Monday
Comp squat 85% x1 x till RPE 8
3 mat defecit DL 75%x2 till RPE 8

Tuesday
Comp bench singles adding some weight each week
T bar row 4x10
Side lats 4x10

Thursday
DL 85%x1 till RPE 8
SBS 75%x2 till RPE 8

Friday
Closer grip bench doubles adding weight each week
Rope pull thru 3x12
Front raise 4x10

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
2/8 End of week summary
Ok, still trying to lean out but DNP is playing it's usual games...I am leaning out, but my weight is holding steady.

Training went pretty well, I did 85% x1 again this week with 1 overload partial. The partials for both the DL and squat have been 635 they felt heavy for sure but obtainable. I lowered the pins this week and I will continue to do so as I can confidence at each position.

I am also retooling my bench arc as apparently I was hitting my chest way to high (just below my nipple) which explains much of my difficulty in lowering the bar. You think someone may have mentioned it, but nonetheless it will take some time to learn the bench again, but it will be fine since I am working on my mobility.

This week I will deload as it has been 6 weeks and I am due. Then we will go back to some 85% work + a few lbs.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Ok, lets fire this thing back up with a brief summary.

Life: fairly stable, busy but not crazy.

Health: Good, still rehabing shoulders. Things have been going well, but they hurt the past two days. I think that was from taking a ladder of my truck with my boys and things went side ways.

Training: Doing DUP combined with autoregulation...appears to be a winner. Squatting 2 or 3 times a week, benching twice and dl every other.

Stats: still 5'11" and low 270s.

Lifts(guess as it's off season) S: low 600, ;: working back to 400, D:low 600

Next meet dunno but maybe december, I would like to get enough on my lifts to break 1700. That would be great.

Cycle: low T, 1200 npp, superdrol and gh + slin on training days.

Hawk

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
You need to up that dead bro, try the Travis Ortmayer routine for deads. Back off squat and hit this. You'll get carry over.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
You need to up that dead bro, try the Travis Ortmayer routine for deads. Back off squat and hit this. You'll get carry over.

I find it interesting you say that when most raw lifters like Jon Cole and Stan had squats better than their deads even if marginally. The only guys I see with better deads are either noobs or geared guys, usually sumo.

Hawk

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Stan also squatted out of a mono while cole had to walk out.

Sumo isnt a real deadlift it's a shitty half squat that gear whores use. Unless it's raw then what ever. If your built for it cool, but if your not don't push your self to do it. I see so many young guys try to and they get hurt.

But the main reason is you can push the dead harder and get carry over while saving your knees from heavy deep raw squats.

Also I don't know any guy that pulls more in gear than he squats.....

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Well, we agree on and that is that the sumo shouldn't be in powerlifting.

Also, the problem with the dl is the lower back. A person can squat two or three times a week while it appears to me the deadlift is best done every other or once a week. While I am am no proponent of Louie or Broz, they both agree that the dl take more than it gives. Show me someone who focuses on the dl and ill show you someone who gets injured a lot.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Off day,
but yesterday I did my Wednesday routine.
SBS 315x3 which is like a 7rpe
wide grip cable row 4x12
pull thru 4x20
EZ curl 4 x15
Stretching

Friday will be heavy deads and bench.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
John Cole !Strong dude, I lived in phx for a while.
His almost raw 600+ benches were bad ass even with the elbow wraps!
Ask him about dbol and jack pre workout....T

psych

Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
Well, we agree on and that is that the sumo shouldn't be in powerlifting.

Also, the problem with the dl is the lower back. A person can squat two or three times a week while it appears to me the deadlift is best done every other or once a week. While I am am no proponent of Louie or Broz, they both agree that the dl take more than it gives. Show me someone who focuses on the dl and ill show you someone who gets injured a lot.

Hawk
Deadlift training doesn't have to be heavy

The lower back is already taxed from squating

Arching when you bench will add to this

And in your case I know you do manual labor THAT TAXES the back too...When I worked in the quarry lifting rocks I never did heavy deads and I got carry over.

My point is hammer your dead with that routine and just ease off the squat and it will maintain squat, but it will raise your dead.

I was just trying to be helpful you magnificent southern bastard! :p

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Deadlift training doesn't have to be heavy

The lower back is already taxed from squating

Arching when you bench will add to this

And in your case I know you do manual labor THAT TAXES the back too...When I worked in the quarry lifting rocks I never did heavy deads and I got carry over.

My point is hammer your dead with that routine and just ease off the squat and it will maintain squat, but it will raise your dead.

I was just trying to be helpful you magnificent southern bastard! :p

Alright, alright I see your point and promise to give it serious consideration. It is just so far from anything I have ever considered that it will take some time to process. Nonetheless, if it means getting a leg up it is worth it.

That being said, I did train yesterday, however the heat took way more out of me than I thought. The heat index was 106, but we quit at 1:30 so I thought I would be ok...wrong.

7/17 Friday
DL 225x3 315x2 405x1 455x1 (cramped) 405×1,1,1 yeah that's it.
I decided to just do bench for some reps since DLs were weak.
Bench 135x5 205x10 225x10 275x10 315x7 315x5
at this point I just did some side laterals and calf raises.

Hawk