©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Why are bodybuilders bigger today than the past?

geardepot

AnaSCI Major Sponsor
Jun 8, 2018
The past versus the present. The old versus the new. A topic that has been kicked about in the bodybuilding community for some time now. So here's the question? Why are the mass monster's today bigger than the "Golden Era" bodybuilders?
Obviously...access to more and better anabolics and ancillaries is on the list. Better nutritional science and training methods would be included as well. But is that it? Or is it something more? Arnold had one of the most impressive bodybuilding physiques of all time with the over the top and influential personality to back it all up. Arnold was the most popular bodybuilder of his time because of his mental game, posing routine, confidence, and sheer size. So though he’s still considered to be one of the greatest bodybuilder of all time, it is a bit interesting that most of the pros these days appear so much more massive than Arnold ever did.
So...do you think that Arnold (or any of the bodybuilders during that era), could reach the same mass, density, and hardness of say a Ronnie Coleman or Phil Heath if they had access to all the things today's bodybuilders do? And as a secondary question...do you see a genetic limit eventually happening as far as how massive a bodybuilder can become? Swirl this around in your grey matter, and let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
GD

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
Genetic editing is coming soon using Crispr so I can only assume some one will take the leap to alter their genetic code and become some new type of mass monster. There will be a division in the IFBB for GMO Human & Hyrbrids (part animal).

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Very interesting topic.

Insulin, Insulin, Insulin
Pharma grade Increlex IGF-1
Pharma grade HGH
Pharma grade gear AND our understanding of how to use them.
Advanced understanding of training and recovery windows relevant to time.
Advanced understanding of nutrition..and nutrient timing.

All of the above are why the big boyz are much bigger now...…...MUCH

Last edited:

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Very interesting topic.

Insulin, Insulin, Insulin
Pharma grade Increlex IGF-1
Pharma grade HGH
Pharma grade gear AND our understanding of how to use them.
Advanced understanding of training and recovery windows relevant to time.
Advanced understanding of nutrition..and nutrient timing.

All of the above are why the big boyz are much bigger now...…...MUCH

Insulin, HGH, IGF1 has definitely been game changers.

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
I don't think it's just 1 thing but a combination of many things. The biggest would be the introduction of insulin, hgh and igf-1. Diets have also changed and bodybuilders eat more these days and contest preps are very different. The diet and drugs have meant bodybuilder's are leaner on stage. Although I think things have gone backwards over the last 10 years mainly due to excessive hgh and insulin usage.

SURGE

Aug 26, 2010
Insulin, HGH, IGF1 has definitely been game changers.

:yeahthat:

Plus all the advancements in everything else. Although I think the drugs are the main reason. I would also add SEO to the list.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Next will be gene modification. Truly walking, talking myostatin monsters. I'm not kidding. It's already in the works.
My problem with the whole deal is once the line of useful muscle mass has been crossed it's all for show. You look at a guy like Ronnie and he was HUGE and STRONG. He still carried himself with an athletic stride and looked athletic. These MyoMonsters wont be able to even move. Just blobs of muscle. Not for me maman. Whats the Olympia going to make a new class just for genetically modified competitors? May sound crazy BUT YOU GUYS WILL ALL SEE THIS IN YOUR LIFETIMES. My crystal ball told me so...…..lol

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
It's obvious to me and everyone has posted what I believe as well. Mainly insulin and hgh. There is only so far the human body can go though. It would be good to see a freak division in the future!

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
It's obvious to me and everyone has posted what I believe as well. Mainly insulin and hgh. There is only so far the human body can go though. It would be good to see a freak division in the future!

I agree! There isn't much more they can do. If they get bigger in the future it will only be at the expense of aesthetics.

Plus all the advancements in everything else. Although I think the drugs are the main reason. I would also add SEO to the list.

I have noticed that with some of the 212 competitors. They get bigger (arms, delts, quads) at the same body weight.

AGGRO

Oct 25, 2012
More drugs. More food. More everything!

Over the last 10 years the drugs have gotten out of control. People say bodybuilders have alwaysw abused but I have definitely seen a change over the last decade.