©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Love this site

smikey211

Mar 7, 2005
Makes sense

That explains why I can lift more on mondays than thursdays. I will definatly take the advice. I do have one more question though. You said sets of 12 is too much foe any one body part. Well What should I change or omit? And is reps of 12 too much? I actually do 15 to warm up then 3 sets of 8-12. Pyramiding up with each set. And yes, I do have access to the gym 7 days a week A very nice place. They have all the equipment, so if you see anything I should change I am open for suggestions.

thanks again

smikey

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
smikey211 said:
That explains why I can lift more on mondays than thursdays. I will definatly take the advice. I do have one more question though. You said sets of 12 is too much foe any one body part. Well What should I change or omit? And is reps of 12 too much? I actually do 15 to warm up then 3 sets of 8-12. Pyramiding up with each set. And yes, I do have access to the gym 7 days a week A very nice place. They have all the equipment, so if you see anything I should change I am open for suggestions.

thanks again

smikey
12 sets is OK. I wouldn't do more than that. I usually don't go over 10. Let me use your chest routine as an example. If the first exercise is bench press, I would do 2 warmups minimum, but no more than 3. My first warmup is 135lbs for 12 reps. My second is 205 for 10 reps, then 3 work sets. My next exercise is incline bench. Since you are already warmed up you can jump right into work sets. First set 10 reps, raise weight and get 8 reps, raise the weight and get 6 reps then go to the next exercise. For this I choose a pumping, high rep exercise. Either dips or flyes 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps. That would be a complete chest routine. If your pecs aren't fried, you aren't lifting to failure. You don't need more exercise, you need to make the exercises you do more intense. More Is NEVER the key. If you are working out on the 3 on 2 off schedule, the next time you work out do all of the same exercises with dumbbells instead of barbells. I would concentrate on 3 sets of 10 with dumbells and concentrate on power with the barbells. JMHO

21.5GUNS

Apr 5, 2005
I have trained several people who got phenomal results from doing a 1 day on 1 day off training schedule. I personally employ that technuiqe when I put myself through a short mass gaining powerlifting type routine.

Try this for 4 weeks

Day 1 Deadlifts 1x12,1x10,1x8,2x6
Shrugs 3x8
decline close grip presses 3x8
tricep cable extensions 3x8
Rest day
Day 3 Squats 1x12,1x10,1x8,2x6
extensions 3x8
leg curls 3x8
Rest day
Day 5 Shoulder press 1x12,1x10,1x8,2x6
barbell curl 3x8
cable rope curls 3x8
calves 4x20

Your body will grow when you are resting, eating and sleeping, training at the gym is only the stimulus for growth. Like Dragonrider said give your body time to heal.

Last edited: