©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

working out with bulge disc?

woody

AnaSCI VIP
Oct 30, 2012
ive had a bulged disc now since 2011... ive learned to "tough it out" but i can see the difference it has caused me in my body. ive lost a lot of leg mass.. any other guys here have the same problem? thx

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
My last MRI showed every disc bulged in and the lumbar region and half herniated. Along Spondylolisthesis, stenosis and a few other things. I am sure there are other issues farther up but as they aren't bad enough for surgery I haven't check it out.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Go to YouTube and look up videos for the Mckinnsey back stretches/physical therapy exercises. I’ve struggled with back issues all my life, including bulges, herniations and spinal stenosis. The McKinnsey exercises are the only thing that has ever helped me feel any better. It’s not a miracle fix, but if you do them consistently you should notice a real difference.

koolio

Feb 26, 2017
I've had lower back problems since I was 10 years old...I remember having to lay in traction for a week to allow the spasms to calm down to where I could at least walk...my dad made me quit football and baseball and start swimming...I eventually improved to where I earned a full college scholarship...now at 61 I still get back tightness and mild disc bulging primarily from squatting...30 years ago i began doing a series of stretches before all workouts...I start by sitting at the end of a bench, spread my legs a bit and bend over...this not only stretches the muscles but opens up the lumbar vertebrae easing any pain from bulging discs...I then sit upright, put my arms straight up and bend sideways again stretching the side muscles and opening the vertebrae...it really helps and is easy to do...

Jim550

Oct 26, 2012
Sorry hear to hear Woody. You have probably seen some of my posts on my back, I had a full 360 spinal fusion in Jan of '20. I've had issues for a longtime before that but just grinded through it. My leg mass is still pretty good luckily but have lost a lot of strength as my back till hasn't fully healed. I would recommend not loading the spine, so no heavy squatting. I think you should still be able to hold to your mass if you train correctly, you can still get after leg presses, leg extensions, and several hamstrings movements but I would becareful with deadlifts and stiff leg dead lifts. High reps can be great for the legs as well. One thing I'm getting which I know people with back issues that it has greatly helped is a Glute Loop, an IFBB Pro friend of my highly recommended it for me, here's the best one that they recommend which I think should be fine posting it here as I haven't seen any sponsors that carry something similar bcstrength.com "BC Strength Glute Loop" One of my friends that has bulging discs uses this and talks about how it has helped him so much.