©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Newbie has DHEA question

rocket

Jan 15, 2007
Hey Everyone,

I am a new member here, and perhaps I don't know where best to look, however I do have a question about DHEA.

I'm a 30yr old female, and I've been lifting for size for 3 years.
For reference, I'm 5'8, 144lbs and about 17.5% body fat. I know I could increase my bodyfat percentage to gain muscle, but I find that doing that is a mental trigger, and I diet down. I am also somewhat impatient with the gains process, which is not a great mindset for bodybuilding!

I am interested in trying DHEA as an initial supplement, but I am curious as to what other women have experienced on it, and what I might expect (if anything) by taking it while my hormone levels are still in a balanced state. (I don't have health insurance, so hormone panels are difficult to get; I am guessing I am in normal range). I've heard many pros for menopausal women, and the only drawback being possible stress on the liver (who doesn't put stress on their liver?) and estrogen-based cancer survivors should not touch the stuff. Since is sounds like a hormone precursor, with potential to become estrogen or testosterone, and women have much lower testosterone levels than men, is there any size benefit to a younger woman supplementing with DHEA?

Thanks!

Big A

IFBB Pro / NPC Judge / Admin
Sep 10, 2005
DHEA is a waste of money.

The only study where it did anything (and that's the study that is being used to promote it), was on 70year old women, and only then it worked only in certain conditions.
It never did anything for anyone else.