©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Death

mike1991

Sep 5, 2006
Mental Hospital
Serious question guys. If you worked in the medical field and you had a patient who had a terminal illness and no matter what you did. You could not help with the chronic pain and they told you they were going to commit suicide due to all of the pain and you know they are serious. Would you turn your head and let them go through with it or would you admit them to the hospital and put them on suicide precautions?

gonepimpin

Jan 21, 2006
Being a current med student, the duty of a doctor is to heal the patient and to prevent death at any rate. Most doctors will try and prescribe some sort of therapy (medication) for the patient to help with the pain, if all fails in this instance, they will usually put the person under suicidal watch.

mike1991

Sep 5, 2006
Mental Hospital
Hmm, well the U.S. Supreme Court disagree with you. http://www.euthanasia.com/page3.html

After you graduate you will take the Hippocratic oath and in that oath its states to do no harm. So if your mother had terminal cancer and even with hospice care, she continues to be in severe pain and she tells you that she plans on taking a bottle of morphine and go to bed. You would honestly tell her no. I'm not saying you assist in it, I'm saying would you prevent it.

shanetuff

Jan 24, 2007
Im in the same boat with my mom. She has lupis and MS

pretty much just have to support their decisions.