©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Vertago?

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
Elvia, who makes the Vertago?

Virtargo is a patented carb. It is sold by many sellers. I use a company based in the UK. I am not sure if they ship to the US. Below I have pasted some info on Vitargo.

Vitargo® is a patented carbohydrate derived from barley starch. It is different because it is made up of larger carbohydrate molecules instead of smaller sugars (e.g. glucose, fructose, sucrose and maltodextrin) found in ordinary sport drinks. Scientists use molecular weight (how heavy the molecule is) to determine the size of molecules. As shown in the table below. Vitargo® is hundreds and thousands of times larger than maltodextrin, sucrose and dextrose.

How does Vitargo® work?
Vitargo® has a larger molecule size than sugars (e.g. glucose, fructose, sucrose and maltodextrin) found in ordinary energy and recovery drinks. Vitargo®'s larger size minimises its osmolality, which refers to how much water it draws. Vitargo®'s low osmolality allows it to move through the stomach 2 times faster than other carbohydrates which tend to act more like a sponge in the stomach. Spending less time in the stomach allows Vitargo® to be absorbed faster, providing a near instant surge of energy into the working muscles, far superior to other carbohydrates. After training or competition Vitargo® recovers glycogen 68% faster allowing for an increase in performance of up to 23% after just two hours, when compared to carbohydrates found in ordinary sport drinks.

CARBOHYDRATE MOLECULAR WEIGHT
Vitargo® Pure 500,000 to 700,000
Maltodextrin 1,000 to 10,000
Starch syrup 250 to 1,000
Dextrose (sucrose) 180

Will Vitargo® make me feel bloated?
Carbohydrate-based energy and recovery beverages can make you feel bloated. That's because the type of carbohydrate used in ordinary formulas act like sponges drawing water into the stomach, which can cause uncomfortable bloating and cramping. Vitargo® is a patented carbohydrate form designed to empty from the stomach faster and be absorbed in to the body more quickly. In fact, university researchers found that Vitargo® emptied from the stomach more than 2 times faster than a comparable beverage with sugars and maltodextrin (the type of carbohydrate used in many popular sports drinks).

Can I use Vitargo® before or during training or when I compete?
Absolutely! Vitargo® is a favorite fuel source of thousands of athletes world-wide during training and competition. That's because it is university proven to be the fastest muscle fuel available. You can use one to two scoops before you begin or during training or competition.

Is your Vitargo the Super Soluble (S2) variety?
Yes we use the Super Soluble variety. Vitargo® is made from barley and is considered a starch. In general, starches don't mix very well in water. We use Vitargo® S2 which is a super soluble form that mixes more easily in water than other starches.

Is Vitargo® sugar free?
Unlike most other sport drinks and recovery supplements Vitargo® is completely sugar free! That means you can enjoy Vitargo® before, during or after training or anytime and not be concerned about sugar.

Is Vitargo® vegetarian?
Yes. Vitargo® is made from barley starch and will fit in with any vegetarian nutrition plan.

Can I use Vitargo® to carb load prior to competition?
Absolutely. In fact, using Vitargo® during "carb-loading" is common among elite athletes and Olympic competitors. You can use Vitargo in shakes and smoothies as a sugar-free carbohydrate source. Each scoop provides 50 grams of glycogen building carbohydrate. Many athletes use Vitargo between meals to ensure they meet their carbohydrate goals during loading and after exhaustive training so that they can eat normally during regular meals.

Is Vitargo® safe?
Vitargo is a safe and natural product.

What Clinical Studies have been carried out?
The original study on Vitargo, performed at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden in 2000, found Vitargo replenishes glycogen levels in your muscles 70% faster than any other sports drink carbohydrate! This means recovery after exercise has been clinically proven to occur much faster with Vitargo than ordinary sports drinks. You can download the clinical study here.

In 2001, a further Swedish study, found Vitargo has a very low osmolality, giving you a rapid stomach emptying, in fact 80% faster than with ordinary sports drinks. This shows how Vitargo vastly reduces the chances of stomach bloating and cramping often associated with other carbohydrate drinks. You can download the clinical study here.

A study performed in 2007 found that the ingestion of Vitargo, post workout, resulted in faster and greater increases in blood glucose and serum insulin concentrations than a low molecular weight carbohydrate. This has very positive implications for those who partake in training sessions, or indeed competitions, where rapid re-synthesis of the muscle glycogen store is required and performance must be maintained during repeated bouts of exercise. You can download the clinical study here.

Vitargo® is manufactured using a patented process by Lyckeby Starch in Sweden. Vitargo® is a registered trademark.

There you go. You can see why I have mentioned it recently. I am gonna use it every morning and post workout from now on. Just checked and the site doesn't deliver to the US at the moment. You might be able to request it to the US. But as Alin highlighted numerous companies sell it so you will be able to buy it easily online. Hope it helps

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
so basically this stuff is waximaize or something similar?

Yeah it is similar but more effective. Waxy Maize Starch passes through the stomach 80% faster than dextrose. That is a great product but Vitargo is superior.

Another good carb product you should look into is Aktivated® Barley. I have never tried it but have heard great things. That is a slow release carb source. I will paste some info below.

What is Aktivated® Barley?

Aktivated® Barley is a slow release, low glycemic index, carbohydrate source and general ‘super-food’. It is rich in beta glucan, fibre, highly bioavailable proteins, essential fats, enzymes and minerals.

How is Aktivated® Barley different to ‘regular’ barley?

Aktivated® Barley is formed when organic barley is put through a unique patented process called the OFO-Method™, named so after its Swedish inventor Owe Forsberg. This process involves exposing organic barley to differing levels of pressure, humidity and temperature. These applications significantly increase the energy and nutritional levels of the barley whilst activating previously dormant enzymes.

Where to find Aktivated® Barley:

Organic Barley has always been a popular source of nutrition, and is commonly found in cereals, oat-based foods and soups. Aktivated® Barley however is not widely available. It is a ‘premium’ food source that would make cereals unaffordable to most if it were used as the main source. It is however being used more commonly in the sports nutrition industry as an addition to meal replacements due to its impressive nutritional profile.

Aktivated® Barley can also be referred to as:

Aktivated Barley Starch, Aktivated Barley Powder, Activated Barley Starch, Activated Barley Powder.

***Unless you see the ‘®’ symbol then the product you are looking at does not use the patented process that produces Aktivated® Barley.***

PERFORMANCE BENEFITS

Why use Aktivated® Barley?

If you are looking to improve your athletic performance then supplementing with Aktivated® Barley as such will not have an immediate impact, certainly not to the extent that something like creatine or arginine would for example. That being said, the indirect benefits of using Aktivated® Barley are clearly evident:

Provision of Sustained Energy — Due to its low glycemic index of between 20-30, Aktivated® Barley releases energy slowly. This makes it an ideal carbohydrate source for all kinds of athletes looking to ensure they have sufficient energy to train and perform to their optimum levels at all times.

Increase Muscle Mass — To gain quality muscle, it is commonly said that it is 80% diet, 20% training. Protein of course is the most important muscle building nutrient, however carbohydrates such as Aktivated® Barley can also play a significant role.

As mentiond above the only downside to Aktivated® Barley is it's price. I can get a 1kg tub for about $30. Thats a very cheap price and not so bad but obviously if your combining it to protein, gear, supplements etc it does add up.