©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Big A`s contest prep diet modification

learner

May 27, 2010
hi guys,
my father is 58 years old, and type 2 diabetic (boderline) but no other health problems(like B.P or arthritis etc) however he is obese,
Stats
ht 5 feet 9 inches tall,
weight 215 lbs at 22 to 24% bodyfat
weight training experience is that of a newbie, but he has been lifting weights for the past 2 years
Squat 185 x 12-15
Bench 135 x 10-12
Deadlift 225 x 10
Barbell rows 135 x 10-12
Miltary press 105 x 10-12

i was wondering if i could put him on Big A`s Fat loss contest Prep diet to get him to a very healthy bodyfat percentage of around 6-8%.
it is an intense program, but now that my Dad is retired he is willing to do it,
my question is how do i set up his Macro-nutrient ratios.

big A has mentioned in his ProMuscle Q n A forum to eat atleast 2 x "lean body mass" amount of protein and 300 grams of carbohydrates.
however 300 grams of carbohydrates is something too much for my dad?
so i was wondering how should i modify his carbohydrate intake?

is it ok to start with
1-1.5 x "lean body mass" amount of carbohydrates ?160-180 grams (carbs)
2 x "lean body mass" amount of protein = 300 grams (protien)
considering his lean body mass to be 160-165lbs

while keeping all other rules just the same as big A has written in his article?

Thanks alot guys
learner

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
hi guys,
my father is 58 years old, and type 2 diabetic (boderline) but no other health problems(like B.P or arthritis etc) however he is obese,
Stats
ht 5 feet 9 inches tall,
weight 215 lbs at 22 to 24% bodyfat
weight training experience is that of a newbie, but he has been lifting weights for the past 2 years
Squat 185 x 12-15
Bench 135 x 10-12
Deadlift 225 x 10
Barbell rows 135 x 10-12
Miltary press 105 x 10-12

i was wondering if i could put him on Big A`s Fat loss contest Prep diet to get him to a very healthy bodyfat percentage of around 6-8%.
it is an intense program, but now that my Dad is retired he is willing to do it,
my question is how do i set up his Macro-nutrient ratios.

big A has mentioned in his ProMuscle Q n A forum to eat atleast 2 x "lean body mass" amount of protein and 300 grams of carbohydrates.
however 300 grams of carbohydrates is something too much for my dad?
so i was wondering how should i modify his carbohydrate intake?

is it ok to start with
1-1.5 x "lean body mass" amount of carbohydrates ?160-180 grams (carbs)
2 x "lean body mass" amount of protein = 300 grams (protien)
considering his lean body mass to be 160-165lbs

while keeping all other rules just the same as big A has written in his article?

Thanks alot guys
learner

I would defo not recommend it. Yeah if he was going into a competition it would be highly effective. But your dad doesn't need any extreme diet. He just needed a well balanced clean diet with limited intake. The weight would drop off him simply by just getting rid of the crap. He could follow some protocols in the diet but no need to lower carbs like that. Everyone is different but many would struggle going so low in carbs... especially at his age and current condition.

Just go with something like 300g protein (chicken, turkey, fish, greek yoghurt, eggs, beef etc) 150g good carbs (fruit, oats, brown rice, brown pasta, sweet potatoes) and 100g good fat (olive oil, coconut oil, almonds, brazil nuts, steak and eggs).

Then see where he goes and modify it slightly. Diets are so individual it is impossible to cover all bases. Starting with a general approach is best then seeing how that goes and modifying if needed. If he is unhappy with weight loss then lower levels slightly. But the above is a good base to start with. There are a decent amount of fats in there but they will be good for hormones and strength etc. If weightloss stalls after many weeks then lower the fat content. He could work down in carbs if needed. I recommend carb cycling. But a base of approx 150g is a good start. I would have Sun off and incase carbs to around 300g with a cheat meal thrown in that day.

These reduced cals and added cardio and weight training should give amazing results over time.

learner

May 27, 2010
Elvia,
I ABSOLUTELY understand your point, but my situation is a little different,
My dad`s motivation is my "Engagement date", 10 weeks+4 days, he is extremely happy for me, the other day he came to me and said "is there a way i can totally transform myself until your engagement? i was so happy when i heard it....that i just said "yes, dad, u can get what u r looking for".

He has never shown any enthusiasm towards to health improvement (in the past), he never had an interest in competing (he used to smoke cigarretes and drink ALOT, which he has totally given up altogether... for the past 10 months) he has been busy all his life creating good amount of money-- taking care of my mom(house-wife), me and my sisters and had been neglecting his health continously for past 25 years -this attitude has always worried me.

he has seen me compete, grinding myself, he has an idea of the amount of effort one needs to put in to get in shape---i am looking at it as big oppurtunity to "Cash the max", as you can see he is 58 and with his bodyfat being 22-24%, this is a dangerous time "health wise" heart problems and others can occur, now that he is SUPER-MOTIVATED to see his son getting engaged, he will be putting his 100% effort...when he sees great results in the shortest amount of time he will be hooked on to it for life.

Now that he is EXTREMELY motivated for the first time, I have to get him the results he has aimed for(i know he has aimed a "little high" but if he ACHIEVES it, his attitude will change for ever...THEN from there on i will make sure to make him realize the "REALISTIC GOALS".

Now i have been a Keto diet expert and putting him on a 14-18 week diet or something will shut down his motivation, he has just started HRT at 200mg Test/week.( i won`t make do any drug cycle or some thing) I am looking at this as an oppurtunity to EXTRACT THE MOST IN THESE 8-9 WEEKS and this will certainly add another 15-20 years more to his NATURAL life, My emotional component is involved..and thats the reason i want him to get the MAX-RESULTS in the shortest amount of time.

So i would appreciate if you could explain me to how to Modify Carbohydrate cycling In Big A`s diet according to the stats i have listed, above

thanks so much Elvia, please help me out HERE.... i love my dad so much, he has worked so hard all his life to make sure that he provides every damn comfort and support(moral emotional financial) for me my sisters and my mom, so now its my turn to THE ONE AND ONLY THING HE HAS EVER ASKED from me.
I am sure you`l understand my point of view.

would appreciate thanks alot
learner

Last edited:

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
I totally understand what your saying. But do you honestly think it is healthy to put him on a bodybuilding contest prep diet? Yes he is in a dangerous state now and losing weight would be the best thing he could do. He needs to change his lifestyle. No short term diets but an overall approach to the way he lives in regards to nutrition. I understand an extreme approach may be effective and may be a way of changing his long term mentality.

By the way don't you think a high protein, low carb and low-moderate fat diet is not extreme when compared to the way he has been? I guarantee if he done that for a few weeks the weight would drop off. Hey instead of 100g fat have 50g... it would melt off. You could follow Big A's protocol but not go fully down in carbs. I personally don't like going under 100g carbs for so many reasons. Hey he might look great but I doubt he would enjoy the day much if he was on zero carbs.

If he starts now 10 weeks is a long time. It's not like he is huge. Start on a well balanced calorie restricted diet and I guarantee if he follows it 6 weeks later he will be transformed. Then you could do a more 'extreme diet' in the final 4 weeks if needed. That way his body has adjusted. Then he could carb cycle in the 4 weeks. 4 weeks from the end date having something like 1 high carb day, 4 moderate and 2 low. Next week having 4 moderate and 3 low, then 4 low and 3 moderate, then 5 low and 2 moderate etc. By the way low and moderate in regards to his current diet so low being about 50g and moderate about 150g and high about 250-300g.

There are so many ways. I find keeping it simple is best so just gradually going down. Don't think he won't transform on a simple cal restricted diet.

learner

May 27, 2010
I totally understand what your saying. But do you honestly think it is healthy to put him on a bodybuilding contest prep diet? Yes he is in a dangerous state now and losing weight would be the best thing he could do. He needs to change his lifestyle. No short term diets but an overall approach to the way he lives in regards to nutrition. I understand an extreme approach may be effective and may be a way of changing his long term mentality.

By the way don't you think a high protein, low carb and low-moderate fat diet is not extreme when compared to the way he has been? I guarantee if he done that for a few weeks the weight would drop off. Hey instead of 100g fat have 50g... it would melt off. You could follow Big A's protocol but not go fully down in carbs. I personally don't like going under 100g carbs for so many reasons. Hey he might look great but I doubt he would enjoy the day much if he was on zero carbs.

If he starts now 10 weeks is a long time. It's not like he is huge. Start on a well balanced calorie restricted diet and I guarantee if he follows it 6 weeks later he will be transformed. Then you could do a more 'extreme diet' in the final 4 weeks if needed. That way his body has adjusted. Then he could carb cycle in the 4 weeks. 4 weeks from the end date having something like 1 high carb day, 4 moderate and 2 low. Next week having 4 moderate and 3 low, then 4 low and 3 moderate, then 5 low and 2 moderate etc. By the way low and moderate in regards to his current diet so low being about 50g and moderate about 150g and high about 250-300g.

There are so many ways. I find keeping it simple is best so just gradually going down. Don't think he won't transform on a simple cal restricted diet.

i get it, thanks alot Elvia
appreciate it