©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What is an IU?

Zoldian

Jan 25, 2005
Here is a short something I wrote up about measuring your GH...This is one thing that I have always seen guys get confused about. Hopefully it will clear up some of the misconception about what an IU is exactly.

An iu is not a measure of volume nor is it a measure of weight like I hear most people say. (I.U.’s) are a measure of biological activity specific to the substance.

An international unit is a way to express the activity or effect of some vitamins (primarily fat soluble) and hormones. For each substance that is expressed in international units, there is an international agreement that outlines the biological effect expected with a dose of 1 I.U. The value is different for each substance, since effect differs between substances. Therefore an insulin syringe is for measuring insulin and thats it. So an iu on an insulin syringe is 1iu of U100 insulin.

Think of meaureing GH in terms of milligrams(mg). One mg of GH is equal to approximately 3iu's of GH. So if you have a Serono kit for example, each individiual bottle is 6mg or 3 * 6 = 18iu's of GH. So depending on how much BW you add to the powder you then figure out the concentration of the solution or how much each iu of GH will be on the insulin syringe.

For Example...Say I have a 10mg bottle of GH...I add 3ml of BW. Now I have 30iu's of GH in 3ml. So 1iu is equal to 10units on the slin pin. 10iu's is equal to 100units or 1ml. It just takes a little simple math to figure out.

For Example...Say I have a 6mg bottle of GH and I add 1 ml of BW. Now I have 18iu's per 1ml. So each 10units on the slin pin is equal to 1.8iu's of GH.

Last edited: