©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Security Concerns

PRIDE

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Apr 2, 2009
Posted by: Rory33

A quick class and some personal thoughts. There are alot of issues of people concerned about anonymity online. First things first I want to discuss is browsing.

First thing is the Tor Browser (get the bundle). You can download it HERE.
This basically acts as a relay when using the browser correctly. Is it 100% secure? NO, nothing really is but this is the closest you can come to it for the average person. Lets say you are in the United States, in Colorado and you want to connect to a site in United States, New York. You open the browser and connect. The browser will automatically configure a series of relays. Ex: Your computer- connects encrypted to one in Sweden- which connects encrypted to one in Australia- which connects encrypted to one in Canada- which connects UN-ENCRYPTED to the one you want to view in New York. Thus if anyone wants to track back your ip from the site, it will show an ip from a foreign country or somewhere other than you. IF they are able to pass thru that computer they would have to go thru several countries (laws are a bitch) and alot of hacking to try an find your official IP. Then they would need to prove that the info sent from your computer was the info that was received on the end site. This is where deniability comes in being that it passed thru encrypted thru several other computers. However it is a small chance that they would ever get thru or spend the relentless time hacking and trying to get thru all the levels of encryption thru every relay. (Its also always best to "borrow" wireless connections from neighbors :) ).

Second is communication between two parties. NO EMAIL IS SECURE! Sorry but I can hack an encrypted email easily with software, steal a passphrase and access it. On top of that BOTH clients (sender and receiver) need to be able to accept and decipher the email. This rarely happens and if you either side is compromised, both can suffer. So what we are looking for is again, encryption and deniability again. This is what gives us a legal loophole. Email is an Old fashioned way of business and since times have changed, we need to as well. OTR instant messaging provides this. My personal favorite can be downloaded here OTR via Gaim. Benefits of OTR?

Encryption
No one else can read your instant messages.

Authentication
You are assured the correspondent is who you think it is.

Deniability
The messages you send do not have digital signatures that are checkable by a third party. Anyone can forge messages after a conversation to make them look like they came from you. However, during a conversation, your correspondent is assured the messages he sees are authentic and unmodified.

Perfect forward secrecy
If you lose control of your private keys, no previous conversation is compromised.

Again this protects BOTH parties and allows you to communicate with your special someone in an secure encrypted manner and with DENIABILITY.

Oh an I would like to point out I absolutely LOVE these novelties HERE. Great to show people at gyms, mailboxes, wu.....

Hope this helps some of you.