©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

BP Vial Opened

snatch

May 8, 2012
The seal ripped off my BP Test vial when I took the cap off, and when I injected a little air into the vial the stopper popped up enough to open the vial (I know, stupid). The contents should be bacteriostatic, but should I consider it contaminated now? I'm already going to transfer into a sterile, sealed GPZ vial, but should I bake it before/after transfer since it's been opened?

Also, do these seals typically rip off like that or did I just pop the cap too aggressively? This is my first vial ever.

Edit: And do you typically draw from the same spot in the stopper to avoid poking too many holes, or pick a new spot each time? I'm drawing from a vial about 8-9 times.

PRIDE

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Apr 2, 2009
The seal ripped off my BP Test vial when I took the cap off, and when I injected a little air into the vial the stopper popped up enough to open the vial (I know, stupid). The contents should be bacteriostatic, but should I consider it contaminated now? I'm already going to transfer into a sterile, sealed GPZ vial, but should I bake it before/after transfer since it's been opened?

Also, do these seals typically rip off like that or did I just pop the cap too aggressively? This is my first vial ever.

Edit: And do you typically draw from the same spot in the stopper to avoid poking too many holes, or pick a new spot each time? I'm drawing from a vial about 8-9 times.

I never had this happen, I would believe you were too aggressive opening it.

Personally, if that were to have happened to me, I would have just preloaded all of the syringes right there. Depending on how long you have left it laying around once that happened you may want to bake it before use, just to be on the safe side.

Stoppers are fairly thick and can take multiple punctures in different spots, no need to over think the process. Just alcohol swab the stopper and stick the pin in.