©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

METAL - enter @ your own risk

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
I love my ferocious endings to songs, but speaking of Pestilence, here's the Pestilence I remember from the good 'ole days. The difference here is the absolute ferocious beginning to this classic, from 0:25-2:25 Kreator are just crushing it with no mercy !

Kreator - The Pestilence (Live At Rock Hard Festival 2010) - YouTube

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
Killer guitar work on that tune, lousy album cover ! :D

I'm a big fan of re-masters. Most of the hardcore bands had no $ and it affected the final product, so with the advancement of technology I'm all for bands going back and making it sound like they intended it to.

Re-recordings I'm not big on, although a lot of the Destruction, Exodus and Testament re-recordings were note for note true to the original and much more brutal. So big thumbs up !

The Bathory albums are kind of low-fi, perhaps Quorthon wanted it that way, as I do believe he had the first black metal albums with his first 3 releases. The Return...being a great black metal album, way back in '85. But some of his power stuff from that album and Hammerheart would just be much more crushing with a good-remaster, since that's the only option (RIP).

i get what your saying...but for me...its an album.
its capturing a moment in time.
if you go back and change the way its mixed it completely changes the vibe/feel...

when mustaine went back and redid those first few megadeth albums i was offended man...:D

i love the original mix on "so far so good"...
i know dave was high when he mixed those early recordings and thats why they sound they way they do.
its not the best mix...kinda distant with too much reverb...but thats the way the art turned out so leave it alone.

my 2 cents...:cool:

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
The legendary pick hand of Mille from Kreator, what a Beast !!

Kreator - Demon Prince (Live Rock Hard 2010) - YouTube

"hordes of chaos" is relentless...one of my favorites.

I love my ferocious endings to songs, but speaking of Pestilence, here's the Pestilence I remember from the good 'ole days. The difference here is the absolute ferocious beginning to this classic, from 0:25-2:25 Kreator are just crushing it with no mercy !

Kreator - The Pestilence (Live At Rock Hard Festival 2010) - YouTube

more quality riffs on one kreator album than most bands write their whole careers...

i will listen to "pleasure to kill" this afternoon...been awhile.

ill take this band over any of the "big 4"...;)

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
filipino kids from the bay area...daly city.

IIRC the drummer was 14 when this was recorded...love the energy on this album.

Kill As One - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Megadeth's recordings were always decent since they had a major label behind them. I'm guessing that when Metallica gets low on slush funds they'll re-master and re-release all of the records through Justice. Like the Destruction re-recordings, it's about a 50/50 mix. I like half of the original recordings just remastered for a better mix and about half I like the re-recording as it's just a better song.

That Bathory song, A Fine Day to Die, actually was re-mastered, the album (Blood Fire Death) wasn't. It's on one of the 3 volumes that were released after Quorthon's death. The songs on those 3 volumes were all re-mastered.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Another good Bathory song after Quorthon abandoned thrash/black metal and went into his Nordic/Viking phase. This is just a really solid metal tune, and shows how much Quorthon had matured musically in all aspects.

Shores In Flames - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Had (still have) that Death Angel album, it was solid, I think they just came on the scene a little late and by the early 90's only the established speed metal bands survived, and most of them had to re-tool a bit.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Loved that album back in the day ! Got to see Chuck and Co., tear it up in Columbus OH on that tour. Devastating show, very heavy.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Just a sick guitar tone, no two ways about it. May have lost a little power with only 1 guitarist instead of 2 live, but this dude has it dialed in. The tuned down growl, with clarity and punch is really unmatched imo.

ALTARAGE- Orb Terrax live at Netherlands Deathfest III 2018 - YouTube

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
filipino kids from the bay area...daly city.

IIRC the drummer was 14 when this was recorded...love the energy on this album.

Kill As One - YouTube

I live in the Bay Area. My buddy is in a side project with Will Carroll the drummer from Death Angel, Zetro (Steve Souza) the singer for Exodus and Mike Spencer the bass player for Flotsam & Jetsam. The band is AC/DZ. As you can guess, it's an AC/DC cover band...only Bon Scott era!

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
I got to see Flotsam back around '90, pretty good thrash band, tore it up live.

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
..."no place for disgrace"...not a bad song on it.

Flotsam and Jetsam - N.E. Terror - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Going back to the early days of Quorthon, who I truly feel to be the most influential hardcore artist in the early 80's. Imo he founded the black metal style/sound, one listen to Total Destruction off this album from 1985 (The Return...) is great evidence.

For some reason I like this primitive track :D You can almost feel Quorthon struggling to keep up talent wise, with what was going on in his mind creatively. He starts a nice speed run @ 2:20, but just can't catch up to it...seems like he finally nails it for about 10 seconds at the 2:50 mark and sounds nice and tight. Then have to give him some big props for tinkering around with the vocals to get that evil growling sound that would soon become synonymous with Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Deicide and the like by the late 80's.

Just a hardcore metal head who was thinking ahead of his time and probably a bit bigger than his talent level could put out. One of the big influences of his generation though, which is enough said.

The Rite of Darkness/Reap of Evil, one of my guilty pleasures from the good old days :)

Bathory - Rite of Darkness/Reap of Evil - YouTube

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
more flotsam...

weird(bad)drum sound.

solid album...these guys could play.

Flotsam and Jetsam - Deviation - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Really nice cover of A Fine Day To Die here

EREB ALTOR - A Fine Day To Die (Official Audio Clip) - YouTube

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
id never heard this...:headbang::action-smiley-033::headbang::action-smiley-033:

i like it.

A Fine Day To Die - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Hahaha, ya, my bad, I thought I had posted the original not too long ago ! May be Quorthon's finest achievement. Truly an epic song.