©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

This is MLS

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
OK, I admit that I am copy-catting the NFL thread, but with no ill-will meant towards "American" Football. I just happened to start following - and became absolutely captivated - by Major League Soccer this year, and we are currently in the midst of the Playoffs for the season.

MLS soccer has expanded from 10 teams to 19. This past year, attendance at MLS games has exceeded attendance at NBA and NHL games!. The notion that Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey are America's "Big 4" and Soccer is some orphan-euro-latino stepchild are OVER. The US now has a "Big 5" Professional Sports Industry. Anyone who doesnt believe that should take a look at the 25,000-seat Red Bull Stadium in Harrison NJ or the caliber of the players that the NY RedBulls, the Chicago Fire, the LA Galaxy, Sporting Kansas City, or the San José Earthquakes have attracted. (And I'm not prejudiced just because I coached soccer and all 6 of my kids played...although my youngest son is on Varsity Football right now :D )

tree.JPG

And, just because I fucking love Red Bull Stadium (and close-to-despise CitiField), here's a Blogpost of mine from this past summer:

Tully's Page: A Tale of Two Stadiums: NY Red Bulls, and Mets' Citi Field

So, I didnt know if there were any other soccer nuts on board, but I figured, what the hell.....

Last edited:

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Post away bro, it's your thread...I am sure there are others that will get involved.....

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
Top-seeded Sporting Kansas City knocked OUT....DC United & NY Red Bulls playing tonight to make up for game cancelled last night due to snow...

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
You need to make a post with a new updated bracket:)

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
NOT Happy. Yesterday, the DC United/NY Red Bulls game was postponed due to the Nor'easter. They didnt bother to delay it early in the day, so the DC United fans came up in buses...and went home when they chose to postpone the game 35 minutes after they delayed the start. God forbid they buy a plow or something anytime during the day . . . .

So they played tonight. DC United's goalie was thrown out of the game...and rather than taking what could have been an easy win, NY put the WRONG man on the penalty kick, got a red card themselves...and lost the season when DC United scored a goal TWO MINUTES before the end of the game.

tree.JPG

Tyrone

AnaSCI VET
Feb 24, 2007
Although I'm a soccer/futbol fan, I don't follow MLS at all. I like catching the UEFFA or Premiereship highlights or whatever nowa days due to lack of time. Unless it's the World Cup or something, I've been watching Euro. Unless anything has drastically changed, MLS just couldn't compare to the over all skill. Not to hate on MLS, just haven't seen much in a LONG time...Let me know if I'm missing out though...:)

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
Although I'm a soccer/futbol fan, I don't follow MLS at all. I like catching the UEFFA or Premiereship highlights or whatever nowa days due to lack of time. Unless it's the World Cup or something, I've been watching Euro. Unless anything has drastically changed, MLS just couldn't compare to the over all skill. Not to hate on MLS, just haven't seen much in a LONG time...Let me know if I'm missing out though...:)

You're missing out :) A lot of players being recruited from European leagues. I watched the World cup in a bar in Wales once (CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!) and got hooked...MLS has really upped their game big time. Beckham was 'the name," but they followd with a lot of skill: Tim Cahill, Thierry Henry, and others...most MLS players are Euroborn now, and they're GOOD> As I said, MLS attendance now exceeds basketball and hockey in the US> Part of it is the structure: the League OWNS all the teams, so they can make sure that it grows the way they need it to to build a consistent fan base.

Tyrone

AnaSCI VET
Feb 24, 2007
Okay, I'll have to check it out but I just don't know how you can beat watching teams like Barcelona and such. Played year round traveling the states when I was a youngin...won CA state cup and got pretty damn close to winning nationally...did some time playing for the olympic development team regionally when I was 16...just a little back ground and tooting my own horn. lol:sSig_number1:

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
It'll probably piss you off MC, but I did enjoy the vuvuzela during the 2010 World Cup.

Keep in mind I listen to Black Metal, Death Metal and shit like that :D