©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Heavy or light?

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Well it's looking like I'm going to be a true LHW - a g a i n- this year.
Last year at the Nats a LHW won the entire show. It was by far the most crowded class. I was wondering if I should just drink some water before getting on the scale to bump into the heavys. Last year it seamed like many, many of the heavys were just not near as conditioned. My thinking is that I may stand out better being super ripped. But I also wont be as large as them either.
What are your thoghts?

BTW; I wasn't sure where to post this so if I got it wrong, sorry.

CG

hellbilly

Oct 29, 2012
You get really shredded, I wouldn't sacrifice an ounce of that to be in a different class especially if you will lack a lot of size. I would suggest doing your prep, getting in your best shape and look then seeing where you fall. If you think you can make heavy and still be shredded then try the heavy class. I just don't know how they will compare you if there is a very noticeable size difference. My two cents, for whatever it is worth. I struggled with this same thought about my weight classes as well.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
We scale friday morning. The water shut off for me will be friday 7 pm. So it has nothing to do with condition. But the issue of standing next to bigger guys is what I'm thinking about also. Just wondering if super clean will stand out there good or bad?

CG

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
How water we talking? Wouldn't risk it .your luck some heavy newcomer show up shredded sic and u be saying nice job as second
..good luck bro...share any pics would be cool. Thanks ib

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
Depends on the judges that day I guess.
I'd look for size, condition, symmetrical. Full muscles
That are striated.
If I seen a guy that was clearly outsized I'd score
Him low.

Tough to say though buddy.
You know this process well! So jut go do your best.
Good luck to ya

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
What Raj and Hellbilly said. I will add though if you did your usual routine like you do and you step on the scale you are a LHW. Your only a HW by changing that process so I think that should tell you the answer. You will be shredded but as you say they will likely outsize you and that accounts for alot so I wouldn't risk it. Play to your strengths and turn up like you usually do and kill the LHW class :) But it's entirely upto you. Goodluck with whatever you decide to do matey.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Hard one there . If able to squeak into the lhw you'd be hardest and with best size in that class . Either way it goes I want to see you shake it up real nice in 13. T

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Well it's looking like I'm going to be a true LHW - a g a i n- this year.
Last year at the Nats a LHW won the entire show. It was by far the most crowded class. I was wondering if I should just drink some water before getting on the scale to bump into the heavys. Last year it seamed like many, many of the heavys were just not near as conditioned. My thinking is that I may stand out better being super ripped. But I also wont be as large as them either.
What are your thoghts?

BTW; I wasn't sure where to post this so if I got it wrong, sorry.

CG

If you think you can compete in the heavy's,,,make the move.

Flex2019

Oct 26, 2012
Last year I had the choice of squeezing down to LHW or staying a little fuller as a HW. Shelby and I discussed it and I ended up going the heavyweight route and won the HW class at the NPC New Englands at 207lbs, then tightened up even more and took 3rd in the HW class at the Eastern USAs at 203lbs. Now this wasn't national level, but they weren't small shows either. I think it's definitely possible to be competitive at the lower end of a weight class if your conditioning and symmetry is right.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Last year I had the choice of squeezing down to LHW or staying a little fuller as a HW. Shelby and I discussed it and I ended up going the heavyweight route and won the HW class at the NPC New Englands at 207lbs, then tightened up even more and took 3rd in the HW class at the Eastern USAs at 203lbs. Now this wasn't national level, but they weren't small shows either. I think it's definitely possible to be competitive at the lower end of a weight class if your conditioning and symmetry is right.

Good points. I know I'm going to be flirting with the 198 to 201 area and my conditioning isn't the issue. I'm just wondering how you guys would call it? Clean against other guys your size that are normally clean or be on the smaller end against a class that wasn't nearly as clean numbers wise.
I'm not knocking the HW class guys. God knows I have seen some really clean ones that are killer. It just seamed last year that many of the HW guys were a little off. Hate to say it but it's true. Watch, this year it will be the class from hell to be in. lol

CG

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Morning Cg. Man with it being that close i'd say Lhw.Your gonna be at the high end rather than low . I see what your saying about hw's at times. being not as sharp .I just think at the 2-3 lb variation will make it low drama on class choice..Flex 2019 has a point though I've seen really conditioned proper peaked guys at the low end of hw's take it all. going to be really interesting.Show date when again? I know junior nats are coming up
soon in chi. June is nats/masters right?
Anyway i'm just yaking while my brain wakes up and gets working.
Still like to see that countdown log. I'm sure many here would.
Thanks, T

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
It's the weekend of July 20+21.

You guys don't know this so I'll just tell ya. Last Oct I was feeling like shit walking out of the gym. Turns out I didn't eat for the next three days. I finally went to the ER in terrible pain with my wife. Within 45minutes of being there I was rushed to surgery. Turns out I was last doing the leg press with 1000plus lbs before leaving the gym. That really isn't alot of weight for many guys in my gym. I was wearing a belt like all the times before. I managed to push my intestines up through my diaphram and into my left lung area. Yes you read that correctly! The surgion had never seen this before. So I'm sitting on the side of the bed as the nurse is asking me to sign the organ donors form and then they run this tube up my nose and into my stomic as I'm sitting there. My wife is crying and telling me how much she loves me.<snip> Well after five days in ICU and a week on a lower floor I came back home. I have a scare going up the middle of my six pack and things are fucked up looking. Not to mention it trully hurts training my abbs. Strange feelings in all directions. Kinda electrical feelings like your funny bone. The good news is they fixed my navil hernia. The good thing that came from this is I started training for high reps instead of HIT style and really responded well to this. So I spent some time playing catch up and now I'm on the plus side of the deal. But I am looking for every angle I can play. It's been a tuff paper route for this body. I have asked for way more than whats fair and it's starting to complain :).

CG

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
It's the weekend of July 20+21.

You guys don't know this so I'll just tell ya. Last Oct I was feeling like shit walking out of the gym. Turns out I didn't eat for the next three days. I finally went to the ER in terrible pain with my wife. Within 45minutes of being there I was rushed to surgery. Turns out I was last doing the leg press with 1000plus lbs before leaving the gym. That really isn't alot of weight for many guys in my gym. I was wearing a belt like all the times before. I managed to push my intestines up through my diaphram and into my left lung area. Yes you read that correctly! The surgion had never seen this before. So I'm sitting on the side of the bed as the nurse is asking me to sign the organ donors form and then they run this tube up my nose and into my stomic as I'm sitting there. My wife is crying and telling me how much she loves me.<snip> Well after five days in ICU and a week on a lower floor I came back home. I have a scare going up the middle of my six pack and things are fucked up looking. Not to mention it trully hurts training my abbs. Strange feelings in all directions. Kinda electrical feelings like your funny bone. The good news is they fixed my navil hernia. The good thing that came from this is I started training for high reps instead of HIT style and really responded well to this. So I spent some time playing catch up and now I'm on the plus side of the deal. But I am looking for every angle I can play. It's been a tuff paper route for this body. I have asked for way more than whats fair and it's starting to complain :).

CG

CG,
Your one crazy son of a bitch!@
Its a crazy story but the things Is knowing you I know its a true story. You pushed your own freaking guts out man! Now that is a
guy in champion-warrior mode.

I know bodybuilding and weightlifting is a huge part of your life but damn man be careful.
take care of yourself buddy and Im always wishing the best for ya.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
CG I hear what you are saying. If I were you though I would just get sick lean and wherever you end up is where you end up. I think if you were 200lbs shredded you could hang with the heavy's and get top five maybe, but I don't see a smaller guy winning nats.
Do you ever do a load on friday night to fill out?

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
CG I hear what you are saying. If I were you though I would just get sick lean and wherever you end up is where you end up. I think if you were 200lbs shredded you could hang with the heavy's and get top five maybe, but I don't see a smaller guy winning nats.
Do you ever do a load on friday night to fill out?

Yes. I normally ride the slin wagon the last 8 hours.

CG