©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

FBI: Monitoring Skype and Gmail are "top priority"

norbit09

AnaSCI VET
Jul 14, 2012
Seattle
FBI: Monitoring Skype and Gmail are "top priority" in 2013.

FBI: Monitoring Skype and Gmail are "top priority" in 2013 - Neowin

It is a well known fact that the FBI can find out almost anything about you in a matter of minutes. It is also a well known fact that the FBI can monitor all of your online communication. What the FBI can't do, however, is monitor you in real time. Services such as Google Voice, Gmail and Dropbox are all available to the FBI, but after a certain period of time - which may already be too late.

At a talk in Washington, D.C, FBI general counsel, Andrew Weissmann, said that being able to monitor Gmail, Google Voice and Dropbox, among other services, was now a "top priority" for the FBI as terrorists move online to discuss their plans. The reason the FBI cannot effectively monitor email and social networks is because of the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) which allows the government to force Internet providers and phone companies to install surveillance software onto their network, but does not cover email, cloud services (like SkyDrive or Dropbox) or chat providers, like Skype.

According to Weissmann, the FBI want the power to mandate the surveillance of anything from Google Voice to online Scrabble (a hotspot for terrorist communication, according to Weissmann).

The government can currently request that companies provide "technical assistance necessary to accomplish the interception" under the Title III "Wiretap Act". According to Valerie Caproni, Weissmann's predecessor, the current system does not provide an "effective lever" to force companies to set up surveillance measures.

The FBI has a problem with Gmail, as it is sent from the user's computer to Google's servers, while encrypted with an SSL-level encryption. This makes it very difficult for the FBI to effectively monitor communication without Google's consent. Google, however, is happy to give their consent. A Google spokesperson told Slate: "CALEA doesn't apply to Gmail but an order under the Wiretap Act may. At some point we may expand our transparency report to cover this topic in more depth, but until then I'm not able to provide additional information."

Skype has also come under the spotlight, providing a secure way to chat. Skype is owned by Microsoft, and we reached out to them to ask if Microsoft would comply with FBI requests to view Skype conversations in real time; we will update the article if we hear back.

Weissmann said that the FBI is currently working with "members of the intelligence community" as this is a matter of "top priority this year." The FBI doesn't plan to be closed about this, with Weissmann saying that "there should be a public debate about [about this]."

dudcki27

Banned
Oct 25, 2012
Well what are some of the best free "secure" email providers? I don't want to pay and have a credit card on file.

Rory

Banned
Sep 29, 2012
Well what are some of the best free "secure" email providers? I don't want to pay and have a credit card on file.

One that you connect thru tor an a VPN an dont give any personal info or addresses out. Also hopefully same as the person you are communicating with.

Actually most pay services give you other options then putting a cc on file, pay up the year also is a good idea.

dudcki27

Banned
Oct 25, 2012
One that you connect thru tor an a VPN an dont give any personal info or addresses out. Also hopefully same as the person you are communicating with.

Actually most pay services give you other options then putting a cc on file, pay up the year also is a good idea.

No idea what a VPN is lol. I do most of my internet time on my phone.

dudcki27

Banned
Oct 25, 2012
Dudcki don't feel bad .I'm cheap too..why u think I view nice asshere. Free. Lol..Hawks still bitter at usps for last order.lol..

Lol. Looks like I'm gonna give @neomailbox.com a shot. $50 a year, based out if switzerland, has all the features I'm looking for, and can be accessed with my droid phone. I can cancel in first month and get a partial refund. This way I can make sure it works with my two best friends;)

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Orbot with the Orweb v2 browser is great for droid users. It is tor and both are free.

Where would one download this from is it the orbot with proxy tor from the app store? Or is there another one that I'm missing?

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Correct, from the app store. Orbot uses Tor to encrypt your traffic and Orweb is the compatible browser. Download Orbot first, then Orweb. Once downloaded, open Orbit and activate it. Once on, press the world symbol. This will give you the option to open any of your browsers. Choose Orweb, it will open, and type in the address you want. There is no history or bookmarks with this browser, but that is a good thing.