©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Looking for a dog

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the board. My wife and I are looking to buy a dog for our daughter. I want a bigger dog, a protector and friend for my 3year old. We were thinking about a boxer since we have read good things about the breed. However we both work, so no-one is home during the day so the dog would be crated for about 8 hours. Now they say not to do this with a boxer, well they say not to do this with any breed but that's not realistic.

So here's the thing. We are looking for a bigger dog, kid friendly, but most of all one that is independent enough to be alone for the day. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

W

wolfyEVH

Blackbird said:
I was wondering if I could get some opinions from the board. My wife and I are looking to buy a dog for our daughter. I want a bigger dog, a protector and friend for my 3year old. We were thinking about a boxer since we have read good things about the breed. However we both work, so no-one is home during the day so the dog would be crated for about 8 hours. Now they say not to do this with a boxer, well they say not to do this with any breed but that's not realistic.

So here's the thing. We are looking for a bigger dog, kid friendly, but most of all one that is independent enough to be alone for the day. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

just so you know...i read an article like 30 min ago about the average dog costing 35,000 dollars to take care of over its lifetime. Its either a dog, or a car for your daughter.. lol

Bizarro

Oracle's my Mod
Aug 16, 2004
Toxic Dump
Blackbird, you may laugh at me for saying this but I have a pit bull and I am very happy. She is great around my 2 year old boy -- very gentle and listens well. Pit bulls make such great fighting dogs because they are so eager to please their master.

I DO recommend getting a puppy that you can nurture and love if you go this route. Otherwise you might want to consider at rottweiler (spelling?)

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
English Mastiff, the same dog in the sandlot known as the beast.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Rottweillers are great with kids. They shouldnt be crated though. Honestly, I dont think any dog should be crated. You just need to train them not to eat your house down and pee outdoors.

Bizarro

Oracle's my Mod
Aug 16, 2004
Toxic Dump
Tee I agree but it so "in vogue" now to crate dogs -- vets, trainers, pet shop owners, everyone says to crate the dog. I tried to crate train my pit bull but she wanted to be with us so badly that she bloodied up her nose trying to bust out of the crate....

In the end we didnt end up using the crate and didnt have any significant problems. The better investment is obedience training at an early age -- it works wonders! Dogs are looking to be commanded with consistency (I wish women were more like this).

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
daver003 said:
Tee I agree but it so "in vogue" now to crate dogs -- vets, trainers, pet shop owners, everyone says to crate the dog. I tried to crate train my pit bull but she wanted to be with us so badly that she bloodied up her nose trying to bust out of the crate....

In the end we didnt end up using the crate and didnt have any significant problems. The better investment is obedience training at an early age -- it works wonders! Dogs are looking to be commanded with consistency (I wish women were more like this).

If I could crate my wife, that might work! lol

ronnier38930

Jan 13, 2005
Ask Katrina. She knows
I think you should go with a ROTT. I have had 3 so far and they have been the best dogs! I have a little sister and when we were younger she would be playing and when a stranger would come up in our yard the dog would protect her and bark at them. I do recommend a female because they are much more personal than the male breed.

W

wolfyEVH

dog breed isnt all THAT important.....its making sure you get a puppy (one that you can train and make sure it has been treated right). I would personally have to go w/ a boxer or a lab/retreiver

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
boxer's are cool...but a german pure bred rotty is the way to go

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
My first choice years ago would have been a German Sheperd. Since we had to get rid of ours due to shedding and daughters allergies we decided on a Doberman. We just bought are second one not to long ago. It's been the best breed I have ever owned. Their big but not to big, short haired ( no shedding), intelligent, easy to train, protective, and very loyal and loving. Both our dobies are big babies. They nick name them velcro dogs because then want to always be by your side. Both of ours have the run of the kithen all day and do just fine by themself.

deadlift

Jan 30, 2005
I resuce Pitbulls and have 3 of my own...To me they are by far
the most loyal and intelligent breed...Its the jerks out there that use
thier strong traits against them...they love kids, and like thier masters
need alot of exercise...if you're going to crate the dog for 8 hours a day
(which sucks for the dog) be sure to exercise him well before he goes in.
Also, male pits make better pets..the females like humans can be bitches.

max lift

Feb 24, 2005
canada
I have always liked the Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs thay are suposidly very loyal dogs I dont think thay are concidered a dangerous breed and thay look very cool with the ridge on their backs http://zooclub.biz/rhodesian_ridgeback , growing up I had a Great Dane great dogs but thay only live to be around 8 , I just dont have the time for a dog, :0(

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
the 5th funniest, that was a good one. I've had always had a husky or a labrador, both are good for hunting and great with kids and are protectors and smart.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
max lift said:
I have always liked the Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs thay are suposidly very loyal dogs I dont think thay are concidered a dangerous breed and thay look very cool with the ridge on their backs http://zooclub.biz/rhodesian_ridgeback , growing up I had a Great Dane great dogs but thay only live to be around 8 , I just dont have the time for a dog, :0(

that was gonna be my second suggestion.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
Go to your local humane society and get a puppy. Mixed breed dogs tend to be beter tempered than pure breeds and usually dont have the genetic shortcomings of some pure bree dogs.