©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

newbie. advice appreciated

200YardDash

Jul 26, 2013
whats up everyone. First off, I appreciate everyone's advice on here. great forum and seems like a supportive community.

little background: 33 yrs old. been lifting and running 3-5 times per week for a good 6-7 yrs. stats:
6 foot
190 lbs
about 17% body fat.

Im very interested in running a cycle... It would be my first one. More interested in asthetics... My goal is to reach below 10% BF and stay under 200-210 lbs. I've read this:

The Complete Idiots Guide to Anabolic Steroids - Anabolic Steroids Discussion and Bodybuilding Forum

Im thinking of doing 10 wk cycle of:
--Testosterone enanthate 500mg every week w/ the proper ancillaries and post cycle therapy (0.25mg Arimidex ED throughout cycle1.25mg finasteride throughout cycle)

weeks 12-16:
--300mg Clomid on day 1 , then 50mg per day for 4 weeks 2 weeks after last injection of Test E.

does this sound about right for a 1st cycle? also, what kind of gains can one expect given you stick to a strict diet throughout?

Very nervous and anxious but excited at the same time. i appreciate any comments and appreciate your time.

drob29

Banned
Nov 13, 2005
whats up everyone. First off, I appreciate everyone's advice on here. great forum and seems like a supportive community.

little background: 33 yrs old. been lifting and running 3-5 times per week for a good 6-7 yrs. stats:
6 foot
190 lbs
about 17% body fat.

Im very interested in running a cycle... It would be my first one. More interested in asthetics... My goal is to reach below 10% BF and stay under 200-210 lbs. I've read this:

The Complete Idiots Guide to Anabolic Steroids - Anabolic Steroids Discussion and Bodybuilding Forum

Im thinking of doing 10 wk cycle of:
--Testosterone enanthate 500mg every week w/ the proper ancillaries and post cycle therapy (0.25mg Arimidex ED throughout cycle1.25mg finasteride throughout cycle)

weeks 12-16:
--300mg Clomid on day 1 , then 50mg per day for 4 weeks 2 weeks after last injection of Test E.

does this sound about right for a 1st cycle? also, what kind of gains can one expect given you stick to a strict diet throughout?

Very nervous and anxious but excited at the same time. i appreciate any comments and appreciate your time.

My thoughts.

6 ft at 190 your light for that height. And at 17%? At 17% your carrying 32 lbs of fat, to much to cycle right now. You say your goal is to add 10 lbs of muscle and lose 12 lbs of fat (200 at 10%). If thats your "eventual" goal then thats cool, but no way your getting there after that cycle. In my opinion you need to be 205 at 12% before you cycle. This is accomplished with a strict diet/training/rest. And, unless your a genetic freak (your not) there is no way to add muscle (which you need to do) and cut much fat (which you need to do). Trying to do both at the same time just wont work.

But before I spin my wheels here, please post

current diet on a typical day (be specific, by meal). be honest.
current training split. (and what are you benching x10?)

Post up and we can help. I am thinking you need to tweak the above, beef up and drop fat naturally before you cycle

Populus54

Mar 8, 2013
Boston MA
My thoughts.

6 ft at 190 your light for that height. And at 17%? At 17% your carrying 32 lbs of fat, to much to cycle right now. You say your goal is to add 10 lbs of muscle and lose 12 lbs of fat (200 at 10%). If thats your "eventual" goal then thats cool, but no way your getting there after that cycle. In my opinion you need to be 205 at 12% before you cycle. This is accomplished with a strict diet/training/rest. And, unless your a genetic freak (your not) there is no way to add muscle (which you need to do) and cut much fat (which you need to do). Trying to do both at the same time just wont work.

But before I spin my wheels here, please post

current diet on a typical day (be specific, by meal). be honest.
current training split. (and what are you benching x10?)

Post up and we can help. I am thinking you need to tweak the above, beef up and drop fat naturally before you cycle

exactly

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
All finasteride will do is give u no sex life..read the side effects, lets face it increased dht from testosterone will cause hair issues on 99% of people but there are a few ,most likely dark hair thick and bushy that dont have the issue.. and probably id use aromasin as less liver enzyme issue..

Last edited:

200YardDash

Jul 26, 2013
thanks for the advice. specific diet
6am- 2 cups skim milk, i packet of whole foods oatmeal
9am- 1-2 cups cottage cheese, about a cup of pineapple
12pm- 1 cup of brn rice and 4 oz lean red meat
3pm 1 cup of yellow squash and 4 oz of lean chicken or beef
7pm post workout meal- 1 cup skim milk, 1.5 scoops of whey protein and about a cup of blueberries
10 pm- i always shoot for i cup of veggies and 4 oz of lean meat but always end up getting hungry and end up throwing in carbs like whole wheat bread or sweet potato.

I have probably followed a pretty lean diet like this for over 5-6 yrs and have never been able to lower my BF low enough to see my abs w/o flexing.

workout: i usually do weights 4 days a week. i try and do heavy weight 3-4 exerices per big muscle group and 1-2 for smaller muscles. 3 sets per exercise w/ 4-6 reps. I try and rest no more than 90 sec b/w reps. I do:
mon- shoulder/biceps followed by 15 minutes of HIT cardio
tues- back w/ 20 minutes stair stepper
wed- run 4 miles
thurs- chest/triceps followed by 15 min HIT
fri- legs
sat-rest
sun-4-5 mile run

Im pretty weak when it comes to weights as 2-3 yrs ago I went through a big running phase and was running 25-30 miles a week and thus lost a lot of muscle..
shoulder press 155 x 3-4 reps max
bench 175 3 reps, maybe 4 on a day im really energized
squats 245 x 6 reps
deadlift 245 x 6 reps

Ive tweaked my diet in the past and have never had much success. I dont weigh my food and Im sure I underestimate my calories given the amount of exercise I do/ week, I would expect to have a lower BF%. To be honest, i would say Im about 14-15 % bodyfat... i originally said 17% because i was just being modest.

Ive increased my calories in the past and i just seem to put on weight very easily.. especially w/ carbs. I've tried intermittent fasting in the past w/ some good success but that got tough not having calories throughout the day.

don't know if this matters.. i work a high demanding job in terms of hours.. i'd say i average about 80-90 hr work weeks. so I try my best to get as much time in the gym as i can but usually have about an hour per day max. anyways, i appreciate all the advice on here.. i really mean that.

Last edited:

drob29

Banned
Nov 13, 2005
There is alot wrong with this picture, and its no wonder you are where your at. I will address this as if you realize you need to gain muscle and strength first, the worry about cutting fat later.

thanks for the advice. specific diet
6am- 2 cups skim milk, i packet of whole foods oatmeal
9am- 1-2 cups cottage cheese, about a cup of pineapple
12pm- 1 cup of brn rice and 4 oz lean red meat
3pm 1 cup of yellow squash and 4 oz of lean chicken or beef
7pm post workout meal- 1 cup skim milk, 1.5 scoops of whey protein and about a cup of blueberries
10 pm- i always shoot for i cup of veggies and 4 oz of lean meat but always end up getting hungry and end up throwing in carbs like whole wheat bread or sweet potato.....

Your diet will not support muscle growth. You need to join this site fitday.com, its free to join. Go put in all the foods you described in your diet and post up the macro values. This will take an hour or so at fitday. You will be suprised at how little you are eating. You need to eat ALOT more

....I have probably followed a pretty lean diet like this for over 5-6 yrs and have never been able to lower my BF low enough to see my abs w/o flexing...

If you want to be 200 at 10% as you said then dont worry about lowering your body fat. Not that you will not see it decrease with a proper workout (more on that below) and diet.

....workout: i usually do weights 4 days a week. i try and do heavy weight 3-4 exerices per big muscle group and 1-2 for smaller muscles. 3 sets per exercise w/ 4-6 reps. I try and rest no more than 90 sec b/w reps.

I do:
mon- shoulder/biceps followed by 15 minutes of HIT cardio
tues- back w/ 20 minutes stair stepper
wed- run 4 miles
thurs- chest/triceps followed by 15 min HIT
fri- legs
sat-rest
sun-4-5 mile run

I dont like that split. And you need to greatly decrease, even eliminate, the cardio. Look into something like this:

day 1 chest/tri **

consisting of flat bench warm up, then BW dips 12, 10, 8 reps, 3 sets (if you can do more than 12 reps add the dip belt and a plate) then, decline bench under the smith machine 3 sets 12, 10, 8 reps. drop the bar right on your nipples each rep. then incline db's 12, 10, 8 reps. then back to flat 3 sets to fail, then cable flys (one set each decline, flat, incline) making sure you can get 12 reps each set and holding and pinching your chest at th top of each rep.

tri: close grip bench 3 sets 10 reps, V handle pulldows 3 sets 10 reps, dumbell kickbacks 3 sets 10 reps.

Also a FULL THREE MIN between sets, and make it active rest where your walking around the gym not sitting on your ass

day 2 OFF

day 3 Back/bi (insert same reps and set stuff here as you did on chest tri day, obviously with back/bi work)

day 4 OFF

day 5 shoulders/legs

day 6 OFF

REPEAT

....Im pretty weak when it comes to weights as 2-3 yrs ago I went through a big running phase and was running 25-30 miles a week and thus lost a lot of muscle..
shoulder press 155 x 3-4 reps max
bench 175 3 reps, maybe 4 on a day im really energized
squats 245 x 6 reps
deadlift 245 x 6 reps

Your weak because your body is not being fed for muscle growth, and you cardio is eating up any gains you may be able to make. Between your diet and workout with all that cardio its no wonder your benching 175

Ive tweaked my diet in the past and have never had much success. I dont weigh my food....

You need to do that. I got a digital scale for 30 bucks at Bed Breakfast and Beyond. Go get one

.......and Im sure I underestimate my calories given the amount of exercise I do/ week, I would expect to have a lower BF%.

Calories are what normal people who dont work out look at when trying to lose or gain weight. If your going to change your body and add muscle you need to know protein/fat/carb macro breakdown of what your eating. See fitday refernce above [/COLOR]

..... To be honest, i would say Im about 14-15 % bodyfat... i originally said 17% because i was just being modest.

Go get your bf measured at the gym. I think you will be suprised, and its higher than you think. It always is (trust me on this)

....Ive increased my calories in the past and i just seem to put on weight very easily.. especially w/ carbs. I've tried intermittent fasting in the past w/ some good success but that got tough not having calories throughout the day.

There is that word again. Calories. delet that word from your vocabulary. Its useless in the bodybuilding world

....don't know if this matters.. i work a high demanding job in terms of hours.. i'd say i average about 80-90 hr work weeks. so I try my best to get as much time in the gym as i can but usually have about an hour per day max. anyways, i appreciate all the advice on here.. i really mean that.

Yes it matters, alot.You need to be able to rest in order to grow, and without rest its like a strike agains you before you even begin. How many hours of sleep do you get a night?

Bottom line: if you want to be 200-210 at 10% you need to look at all three aspects of what your doing. Diet, workout, rest. The biggest of these is diet. You are 190 6ft 17% benching 175. Your diet is where the first work needs to be done. Then, your workout needs a complete revamp. And rest is critical.

At least your willing to listen. Others will chime in as well. Another great board is www.alinboard.com, check it out. Hope this helped

Last edited:

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Well all that running and hours are demanding..Drob and Grin pretty much said what you need to put on muscle... 6' 190 is pretty lean if you are doing all what u said so if you enjoy running why not just get real lean and keep the look ?. because once u add 20lbs u wont be running as easy and knee joints can maybe take a hit. Try this get a weighted vest add 20lbs and go on that 4.mile run.
I wish could run but a earthworm can take me
. So follow these guys great advice and maybe do some more thinking? Thks ib