©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

The Principals Corner

recess

Nov 16, 2004
The Classroom
I found this on an educator's website. The link was in the in the "Principals' Corner".

Doctors' Answers to "Frequently Asked Questions" - Steroids

These comments are made for the purpose of discussion and should NOT be used as recommendations for or against therapies or other treatments. An individual patient is always advised to consult their own physician.

Winstrol (steroids) [posted 1/13/99]
Question: I am currently a drug free bodybuilder. I plan to take my body fat down to 5-8% this summer and then take low dosages of winstrol (injection) for 8-10 weeks to get that harden effect. I am 24 and experiencing a little thinning of the hair. Would this cycle of winstrol cause more thinning of the hair or hair loss? What other side effects could be caused from this cycle?

Answer: Hard to know, without knowing the dosing and frequency, but hair loss would be seen in about 10-20%.

Steroid Side Effects* [posted 11/25/98]
Question: I am getting mixed messages concerning anabolic steriod use. Is there a steriod if used for a few months only, will allow for strength and mass growth that will remain after discontinued use (while working out continues) with little to no adverse side effects?

Answer: None of the steroids will allow for sustained muscle increase except when one is taking the drug. As to adverse side effects it depends on the dosage, the length and your susceptibility. Not all taking steroids experience side effects that are permanent;but, some do.

Anabolic Steroids [posted 11/6/98]
Question: I've been looking for information on the negative side-effects of parabolin (Anabolic Steroid) and have not been very successful. Do you have any info that may be able to assist me in deterring a friend from using this?

Answer: All of the anabolic steroids have the ability to cause liver damage, cardiomyopathy, acne vulgaris, renal changes and personality changes. Some patients are very susceptible, others less so. But, often severe organ damage results before patients are aware of problems since they tend not to be adequately monitored.

What is Deca Durobolin [posted 11/6/98]
Question: What is "Deca durobolin"? What does it do and what type of side effects does it bring with it? How does it rate to other steroids( benefits, ailments )?

Answer: Deca-Durabolin is a steroid(decadron) usually used for injection. Decadron is more potent milligram for milligram than most steroids;but, the side effects are not different. Steroids in general cause more rapid aging of your body. Hence, diabetes mellitus, osteoporosis, cataracts, muscle weakness and atrophy, hardening of the arteries etc. These side effects take time to occur and for short periods there is usually no major problem except occasionally agitation or mental status changes. Side effects are dose and duration dependent in general.

Anabolic Steroids Are Dangerous [posted 11/4/98]
Question: I am 23 yrs old, slim built and weigh 65 kgs. I have been trying to gain weight for the past couple of yrs but nothing seem to work. My weight hasn't changed much in the past 2 yrs inspite of weight training and diet. I am considering trying anabolic steroids but extremely concerned about side effects. I am not looking for excessive weight gain. I have friends who are the same height as me but weigh around 75 and 80 kgs.What should i do in order to gain that 10 to 15 kgs. Being called "skinny" and "skeleton" doesn't do much for my confidence and as a result I am really desperate to find a solution.

Answer: Don't use steroids. They are dangerous and your weight will revert once you stop. 75 to 80 kgs is fine and you'll live longer being slim. Growth hormone might be an answer if you test low.

Androstenedione [posted 10/13/98]
Question:Can you give me some information on the drug called androstenedione? I would like to know if it is safe to use, and if is known to give bad side affects or not.

Answer: Well, its banned by the Olympics and all others sports(except baseball) due to its potential androgenic effect. There is little medical information on this drug available to me;but, I would avoid it until more research is available.

Steroids & Tooth Pain: Any Connection? [posted 10/9/98]
Question:How Is steriods in an inhalent or Pill related to Tooth pain?

Answer: Shouldn't be.

Pedisinole for Scaroidosis [posted 10/2/98]
Question:I am a barrister and have recently been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. I have been prescribed 40 mg of a steriod, pedisinole. I am rather concerned about the side-effects especially so-called "MOON FACE". I am 30 years old, 166 in height , 53 in weight. Is it likely that the dosage that I have been prescribed will effect my physical apparance?

Answer: This would be expected to occur after about 8 or more weeks at the dosage you are taking. Most of the time this effect partially or completely reverses once the steroids can be discontinued. Continued use will add to the "moon facies" however, there is no alternative treatment for your problem.

Illegal Steroid Use [posted 8/11/98]
Question: A close friend of mine is currently using injectible anabolic steroids. He has been injecting for approximately 5-6 months, and plans to continue injecting until his cycle is complete (in August, 1998). He is currently starting on the downside of a deca-durabolin pyramid. I have tried to talk to him and suggest safer alternatives. He says that he is taking the "best stuff," and is barely taking more than pharmaceutical amounts. He insists that he will be done in August, but with all of the research that I am doing, I sincerely doubt that it will happen. This friend of mine has a 1 1/2 year old son, and his wife is expecting another in June. I am extremely worried about him. Can you give me any advice that I may use for the next occasion that I have to talk with him?

Answer: I wish I had some good ideas. However, in my experience, patients who use illegal steroids for "body enhancement" will rarely be swayed by logical discussions. In general, they argue that they are not using enough to be of danger (in which case it will have minimal/no muscle enhancement) or that they will only use it a short time (in which case what is the point if the enhancement will not last). Most have some psychiatric need that these medications seem to meet. We are all aware of the potential risks - including the individual using the drug. However, trying to find logical reasons to quit is like trying to convince smokers of logical reasons to quit. The point is that it is not an intellectual decision, but an emotional one. Consequently, try to find an emotional approach. That is, what does he emotionally value above all else? There is the answer to his stopping.

Steroids and Effects on the Heart [posted 7/17/98]
Question: Do steroids affect your heart?

Answer: They can produce a global myopathy that reduces muscle strength, and since the heart is a muscle its strength is reduced. However, it’s not a major effect in most patients. The other effect is the acceleration of atherosclerosis by steroids. This can be a major effect.

Steroids
Question: I was wondering if you have ever heard of Uni-test Suspension by Univet. I'm not sure if it was a counterfeit that I saw because Test Suspension injections are supposed to be quite painful, so I've read, and my friend says he's had no pain except when he pushes the fluid into his muscle. Could this be because the drug has no impurities and is real, or could it be a counterfeit. It comes in a 30 mL bottle and each shot contains 100 mg of Testosterone. The bottle is dark and the label is white and green.

Answer: No, I haven't, but there is little way to tell if illegal drugs are tampered with in terms of purity and biologic effects.

Oral steroids
Question: How long will a substance be traceable in the body if it was taken orally for a period of 21 days (a 50 mg tablet)? What would be a safe period from after use to avoid failing drug testing?

Answer: Depends on the steroid, but in general at least 8 weeks. The safe period depends on the type of test utilized. Some are sensitive to six months or longer.

Natural Anabolic Boost
Question: I was sent a letter about a about a natural way to replace steroids. It was mainly designed for basketball players trying to increase their vertical through intense training, while at the same time practicing and playing several games a week. The substance causes a "metabolic shift" that overpowers the cortisol strange-hold limiting recovery time,strength,and vertical jumping potential. It increases testosterone and decreases cortisol levels allowing athletes to train harder. It comes in two different pills one being Vertical Growth(modified version of Superbolic) and the other Vertical Recovery(supercharged version of AYU-VIR).In the letter it says that the substances are natural and herbal producing no unwanted side effects. It says that the two pills when taken together produce a synergistic effect and have powerful effects on the hypothalomo-pituary-adreal axis,chasing estrogen out of system. This sounds like a way to reach growth potential faster as well as becoming stronger through safe substances. A Dr. Scott Treadway came up with this "natural anabolic boost". I don't know if you know this doctor but it says he is one of the most respected nutrition pros in the world and his partner for the project was a nutritionist for Shaquille O'Neal. Through their research( 3 years) they discovered this is completely safe and natural. I somehow received this letter and until now it has been limited to lab people and elite athletes. In two years the letter says that this stuff will be everywhere. They are also scared that the FDA will make this a prescription drug so they can jack up the price and monopolize the drug. Not because the product is dangerous but because of the money this product will make. But this drug sounds too good to be true. Do you think that this drug is safe,remember it increases testosterone. To me that sounds dangerous. What is the difference between a natural anabolic boost and a synthetic anabolic boost like substances such as steroids? Also do you think I should take this substance even if they say there are no side effects and they say it is natural and herbal?

Answer: Most things that sound too good to be true are. Be skeptical of "experts" who financially benefit from the products they sell. Real academic experts rarely make money off their reports or discoveries. I suspect that you will get nothing but a placebo effect.

Anabolic Steroids
Questions: If somebody gains 100 lbs. on his bench press while on steroids will he retain any of this weight? Would the same happen with muscle size?

Answer: Your question raises several important points. Given the context of your question, when you use the tern "steroids" you are probably referring to anabolic (or muscle mass building) steroids. Many patients are on corticosteroids, prednisone being one example, for a variety of conditions, and gain weight as well, but not because of muscle mass gain. In fact corticosteroids actually tens to cause muscle mass loss. Anabolic steroids, on the other hand, are drugs that once in the body, mimic normal bodily hormones (derivatives of testosterone) that promote gains in lean muscle mass, bulk, and strength, and at a faster rate. It is for this reason that some bodybuilders, or individuals who are interested in increasing their muscle mass or athletic performance may be using anabolic steroids. Although these drugs do have proper medical uses for a variety of illnesses, they do have some side effects, some of which can be severe. It is for this reason that their use in otherwise normal individuals is discouraged. Although there has been no data to confirm acute adverse effects of anabolic steroid use, when used chronically, known side effects do occur. These include decreased sperm count, decreased testicular size, elevations in blood sugar levels, increases in blood fats and "bad"(LDL) cholesterol, and decreased "good"(HDL) cholesterol, hair loss, liver disease, mood changes, personality changes, and possibly an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Women who use these drugs may experience the development of masculine physical features. It is also known that the rapid muscle growth exceeds the speed with which the supporting bones, tendons and ligaments can grow and strengthen. Therefore musculoskeletal problems can also occur. The answer to your question, however, is yes - weight, and muscle size and strength gained while on steroids will be kept, so long as one continues to exercise, but clearly the adverse effects of anabolic steroid use must be taken into account by anyone considering the use of thesedrugs.

Anabolic Steroids
Question: I'm an 18 year old high school student. I'm 6'0 269 lbs. My older brother is 6'4. My parents say that I am not finished growing yet. Will injecting testosterone stop me from growing any taller? Or will it increase my release of growth hormone, making me achieve my potential height faster? Are there any drugs or over the counter supplements that can make me achieve my maximum height any quicker than mother nature?

Answer: Testosterone will not stop your growth - estrogen like drugs will. Some illicit steroids do have some estrogen effect, so ensure you are on testosterone. The only available drug to increase height is human growth hormone. This is expensive but it works.

Steroids
Question: I am considering the use of an anabolic steroid, such as deca-durobolin or winstrol v. My studies tell me that these are two of the safest injectible steroids to use. My family doctor has agreed to monitor my ldls, hdls, liver, blood, etc. during my cycle. I feel like people can get noticeable benefits from steroid use, as long as they are used with physician monitoring. I would much rather know that I am using the real thing, and not a generic, synthetic black-market drug. How do I get the real pharmacy steroids? I want to do one 8 week pyramid cycle followed by hcg. Is there a legal way to use steroids through supervision of a doctor?

Answer: There currently is no legal way for a physician to administer steroids for body building or enhancement.

Steroids
Question: I really need to know about steriod use for females. Would one cycle hurt me? I am a fitness trainer (at a local college) and work out almost everyday! I work out with weights, aerobic exercise - stepper, fitball, treadmills and power walking (I was even featured in the '96 Dec. issue of "Walking Magazine")! I have 21-23W body fat...which is very high for me! I am 35 years old and eat all the right foods in small amounts. I still feel fat and would like to lose the "extra bodyfat" by using steroids for one month. I know that they are bad for you, but seeing all the fitness instructors on "ESPN" with those hard bodies and KNOWING that most of them used (or are using) steroids and seem healthly....I want to be one of them! Please try to tell me if only one cycle will hurt me!

Answer: Steroids are widely used illicitly for developing muscle growth and strength. Many weight lifters and different athletes use these banned substances to enhance their performance. However, use of these drugs for this purpose is illegal for several reasons. 1. The improvement in performance only lasts while the steroids are being used. Discontinuance will result in pre-existing strength and performance levels. 2. These drugs have potentially severe long and short term side effects. It takes a professional knowledgeable in these side effects to monitor liver function and other potential problems. These include liver toxicity, edema or fluid retention, liver cancer and feminization, markedly elevated blood counts leading to strokes and thrombosis(clots), increase in risk of prostate cancer. 3. Feminization. This is an unfortunate side effect which is irreversible. It produces breast development and shrinkage of the size of the testes. Although I am aware that many individuals use these substances the benefits really don't outweigh the risks in my opinion. I would strongly advise that your physician at least monitor you if you decide to use these substances-they are not simple nor risk free.

Steroids
Question: I just recently bought some d-bol. I asked around and found out that it could be counterfiet. Its called HUMABOL (methandrostenolone) 5 mg tabs. It is made in Greece by: Rickit & Colman E.P.E. Saint-Gall, Switzerland. Everything seems legit except for a spelling mistake "Given only be medical prescription or a physiclan. Store in a cool and dry place, below 30 degrees Celsius. As you can see "physiclan" is the typo. The tabs are white, about 7 mm in diameter and 2 mm thick with one stripe across. I heard that dianabol is one of the most counterfiet drugs next to deca.

Answer: There are numerous problems with using illegal steroid drugs. The major ones are the potential changes to your body and life that are irreversible. Counterfeit drugs that are not manufactured to quality standards are another. Using illegal steroids will produce little of lasting benefit and could produce serious long term problems.

Stanazol
Question: My training partner(in body building) recently went on a breif cycle of an anabolic steroid called Stanazol (I believe it is commonly used for horses). He experienced no negative side effects and reasonable growth, but noticed a reduction(as expected) in the size of his testicles (especially the left one).He stopped his cycle once his testicles reduced to half their initial size. He was intrested in finding out if they will return to their previous size, or to what extent they will return to their previous size, and how long this would take. Since he is unwilling to see a doctor about his query, i hoped you could answer his query. It would be much appreciated.

Answer: Body building steroids usually mimic the effects of the male hormone testosterone Consequently, if the hormone is supplied externally the body will stop its own production. This production imainly in the testicles although the adrenal glands produce a small amount. This is the mechanism behind the shrinkage of the testicular tissue when using exogenous steroids. The testicles will usually return to normal size if the steroid use is not excessively long or using excessive doses.

Muscle Mass Addition
Question: I am 21 years old and would like to gain muscle mass. I have a small body frame and have been working out heavily for about 8 months with little mass added. Would doing one cycle of steroids harm me more than it would help?

Answer: Your bodies muscle mass is primarily dependent on the genes you inherited from your parents. Consequently, there is a limit to your size and muscle mass. Altering this with anabolic steroids will clearly add muscle mass. However, these have potentially devastating side effects and the muscle mass will begin to atrophy once you stop taking the drugs. So, you are faced with continuing an illegal behavior that can cause permanent liver damage, impotence, and different cancers or accepting the body that you were born with.

Depo-Testosterone
Question: what are the benefits/side effects for the use of depo testosterone, in a male adult?

Answer: Depotestosterone is an injectable male steroid used primarily for treating disorders of testerone deficiencey. These are usually erectile dysfunction secondary to low testerone levels and Kleinfelter's Syndrome-an inherited disorder which leads to low testerone levels in phenotypic males. This steroid is also occasionally used in body builders and other individuals who are seeking to increase muscle mass and strength. Testerone is primarily an enhancer of "male" characteristics. Consequently, more beard growth, more muscle strength, more male pattern balding, more sex drive, higher blood counts etc. This drug can cause priapism(frequent or semi-permanent erections), liver disease, and clotting disorders due to the high levels of blood cells and platelets. Cholesterol is also adversely affected in some individuals. When used correctly and monitored it is a fairly low risk drug. When used incorrectly, in excessive doses, without correct blood monitoring it can lead to permanent liver damage, strokes and other potentially deadly side effects.

Primobolan
Question: I recently purchased a handful of boxes of Primobolan tabs, (5 mg), from what I understand this steroid is one of the safest, although mild, and illicits a strong lipotropic effect. I'm happy with the amount of muscle I have built over the years, but I would like to further reduce my bodyfat. A little extra muscle wouldn't be bad either. So my question is at what dosage of Primobolan do think would be necessary to illicit the lipotropic I am looking for?

Answer: Illicit is the correct word. These steroids are illegal for a reason-they produce long and some short term devastating side effects. Liver toxicity, tumor formation, and inability to get erections are among them. I would not recommend any of these drugs for any reason.

Dianabol
Question:I need to know about the anabolic steroid (Dianabol).

Answer:Dianabol is a brand name for an anabolic steroid. In general, physicans rarely if ever use anabolic steroids due to their potential for severe long term side effects. They do cause increase in muscle mass and strength due to their testosterone like effects. The side effects include irreversible hepatitis, different cancers due to their effect on the immune system, breast formation and erectile dysfunction, cataracts, diabetes and early coronary heart disease. Sounds like a bargain with the devil doesn't it?

Steroids
Question: I am 22 years old, 6'4" and 290 pounds with no allergies to drugs or other clinical problems. So I consider myself to be healthy. I smoke and don't exercise. A friend advised me to cut down on smoking, stop drinking, and take a steroid called clumbiterol, while I start to exercise. Please advise me if taking such a drug will benefit and what side-effects may I have from this drug? Any other comments would be appreciated.

Answer: While I agree with stopping smoking, exercising and decreasing alcohol intake, steroids will not accomplish the goal of better health. It will give a temporary increase in muscle bulk - something I doubt you need at 290 pounds. Also, they may induce diabetes mellitus - a distinct cardiac risk. Steroids will do nothing but get you in health trouble.

Low Testosterone
Question: I recently came off a steroid cycle(my first)which lasted 12 weeks. I used deca durabolin(200mg/wk) and testosterone ethanate(250mg/wk). after 6 weeks my testicles shrank. Its been 3 1/2 months since the steroids have been out of my system and my testosterone level is still very low(been tested twice). My doctor gave me a complete physical and I am in perfect health otherwise. She has no answers and I can’t find any literature on why I haven’t bounced back to normal. Could this be permanent?

Answer: Usually, not permanent for a young man. But, cases have been reported which is one of the reasons we don't advocate testosterone supplements for body building.

Side Effects
Question: What are the side effects of steroids?

Answer: I assume you are focusing on anabolic steroids;that is do you want mineralocorticoids or glucocorticoids? I'll assume glucocorticoids. However, there are differences between testerone based drugs and drugs like prednisone. I'll discuss prednisone;but, if you want testerone like steroids please write back. Steroids in general accelerate the aging process. They will cause cataracts, hardening of the arteries, osteoporosis, degeneration of the cartilage of the joints, diabetes mellitus, elevated cholesterol etc. They are a great anti-inflammatory;but, there is a price to pay for this effect.

Back to Drug InfoNet Home Page.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Sounds like the doctor dispensing advice needs to go back to medical school and learn a little bit more about AAS before giving poor advice.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
He didn't really answer any questions. He makes one comment and the rest of the comments are nothing but negatives as far as side effects go. He makes it sound like the effects are automatic and your going to get them no matter what.

recess

Nov 16, 2004
The Classroom
What I had found intresting was:

Most were dated 1998 and 1999.
Does not state who or where the doctor was from.
Was this opinion or fact?
Where was information gathered?
Specifics?
What kind of doctor was he?
How long had he been in practice?
Many, many questions.

The bad thing is - many educators will read this - suddenly become experts on the subject - share this information with collegues - they will become experts - and so on, and so on ... I may be somewhat biased, but at least I have looked at many sources, and gathered some information. I am an educated individual, teach for a living, I don't give a correct answer because a kid said 2+2=somewhere around 4. That is a distortion of the truth.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Well, if this guy is right, I should be near my death bed, bald, have high cholesterol with clogged arteries, and blind from my cataracts. What a boner!

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
I like this answer the best! lol

"Answer: Don't use steroids. They are dangerous and your weight will revert once you stop. 75 to 80 kgs is fine and you'll live longer being slim."

Live longer being slim? Fuck that. Id rather die big, than live a shitty life being a weak little slim bitch.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
heavy said:
I like this answer the best! lol

"Answer: Don't use steroids. They are dangerous and your weight will revert once you stop. 75 to 80 kgs is fine and you'll live longer being slim."

Live longer being slim? Fuck that. Id rather die big, than live a shitty life being a weak little slim bitch.

"It's Better to Burn Out, Than Fade Away!"