©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Steroid use has long-term advantages for muscle development

d2r2ddd

AnaSCI VET
Apr 27, 2013
www.anasci.org
Compelling evidence that steroid use has long-term advantages for muscle development :headbang::headbang::headbang:

A cellular memory mechanism aids overload hypertrophy in muscle long after an episodic exposure to anabolic steroids.

Abstract
Previous strength training with or without the use of anabolic steroids facilitates subsequent re-acquisition of muscle mass even after long intervening periods of inactivity. Based on in vivo and ex vivo microscopy we here propose a cellular memory mechanism residing in the muscle cells. Female mice were treated with testosterone propionate for 14 days, inducing a 66% increase in the number of myonuclei and a 77% increase in fibre cross sectional area. Three weeks after removing the drug, fibre size was decreased to the same level as in sham treated animals, but the number of nuclei remained elevated for at least 3 months (>10% of the mouse lifespan). At this time, when the myonuclei-rich muscles were exposed to overload-exercise for 6 days, the fibre cross sectional area increased by 31% while control muscles did not grow significantly. We suggest that the lasting, elevated number of myonuclei constitutes a cellular memory facilitating subsequent muscle overload hypertrophy. Our findings might have consequences for the exclusion time of doping offenders. Since the ability to generate new myonuclei is impaired in the elderly our data also invites speculation that it might be beneficial to perform strength training when young in order to benefit in senescence.

A cellular memory mechanism aids overload hypertro... [J Physiol. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Read that one a couple weeks ago. Well done study. Would be nice to see it done on humans, though.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
I think that from real life experience any one who has been in the Gear game for more then 10 years can tell you that after a certain amount of time the muscle you have acquired will be with you long after the steroid has left your body. For instance I started out at 198lbs and 25 years later I am 295lbs. Even If I stopped taking ANY substance I would still maintain a muscle mass of 250-260 through proper diet and training.
So it has been replicated in humans!;);)

PreacherMan

Nov 17, 2013
THere was a study done in Finland that had humans as subject. People who had done steroids up to 20 years prior were studied, and their gains were still way better than those who did not. I will try to find the study and post it.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
I have s sneaking suspicion that moderate doses of steroids are actually good for you under the right circumstances. Post up that study preacherman.

MightyJohn

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 29, 2012
I think that from real life experience any one who has been in the Gear game for more then 10 years can tell you that after a certain amount of time the muscle you have acquired will be with you long after the steroid has left your body. For instance I started out at 198lbs and 25 years later I am 295lbs. Even If I stopped taking ANY substance I would still maintain a muscle mass of 250-260 through proper diet and training.
So it has been replicated in humans!;);)

I have to agree 100%...I've started at 18yo 145lbs been as heavy as 232...even when off & not training for months(broken shoulder)...still stayed 200/205...cycling off & on 15yrs