©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Chest pain and popping/cracking sound

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
anybody here ever have pain in the very center of their chest and when raising your arms laterally and arching/flaring chest out and up, it would pop or crack?

there isn't any possible way it actually cracks. from what I found, it's the ligaments or tendons and it's not good.

I have this issue, don't think it's normal and no Dr. or chiropractor can tell me what the issue is. I don't know if I ever injured myself or if I sleep wrong. I know if I train constantly it goes away, but if I stop for weeks or months, it comes back. idk if my chest is to big and heavy or what... just wanted s consensus.

vikingquest

Jan 21, 2012
I've had this before. On fact, I just did it and it kinda cracked a little but not as much as it has in the past. I didn't ever think anything of it to be honest. Figured it was like cracking knuckles.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I've had that--it came and went on its own...I assumed I needed to stretch a little more, took some ibuprofin, and it just disappeared. It felt like it wanted to crack, and felt more like pressure than pain....

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
It's more likely the area at the top of your chest where your clavicle attaches to your sternum. When I sleep on my left side too often/long I get some popping, grinding, clicking and occasionally pain in that area. Training your chest and shoulders regularly helps to strengthen the small muscles around that attachment point and strengthens the small stabilizer muscles in the shoulder. When you take time off training, those small muscles get weaker much faster than larger muscles. Consequently, your form suffers slightly and causes more stress on your joints, hence the sounds.

That's all just my take on it. I could very easily be wrong.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
makes more since to me. I was surprised no medical explanation was available from trained professionals. I really think that's what it is, because it goes away if I train regularly.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
The larger lesson here: Train regularly and don't take extended breaks from the gym.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
The bottom of my sternum does that. In fact, it has a weird groove to it from heavy benching all the time with a pause. The sternum is connected to the ribs with cartilage and that can wear down over time.

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Have that all the time, just tendons and ligaments. The more flexible, the more often it will occur.

BIG D

AnaSCI VET
Apr 23, 2013
Could just be some nerve damage in there from trauma to the area, i.e. lifting weights. I experience this too

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
as long as there is no pain it should be ok...pain would generally mean you're doing it wrong...maybe take it easier/slower after taking the weeks and months off...I had it happen once when I jumped up to grab a tree limb to do a pull up, cold, with no warm up...kinda hurt for a couple days and haven't felt it since...weird