©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Everyone Read This!

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Don Hooten, I think he's in the senate hearings over the steroid and baseball issue. Look at this article. His son was a pitcher for a baseball team and was "addicted" to steroids. He committed suicide after being depressed for awhile. HIS PARENTS SAY IT WAS BECAUSE OF THE STEROIDS!

Taylor Hooten's parents campaign to end steroid abuse

BY NINA BURCH, STAFF WRITER 03/06/2004

BY NINA BURCH
STAFF WRITER

Don and Gwen Hooten know all too well the pain of having to bury a child.
Last summer they interred their 17-year-old son, Taylor, a Plano West senior, after he committed suicide in their home.
The Hootens believe their son's suicide was the direct result of severe depression resulting from his abuse of anabolic steroids.
"60 Minutes II," the television news program, aired the story of Taylor Hooten and his bout with steroids and depression March 3.
In an interview with CBS reporter Jim Stewart, Don Hooten, holding back tears, expressed his desire to use Taylor's death to prevent another steroid-induced suicide.
"He's gone and it is devastating," Don Hooten told Stewart. "We'll never get over it, and the only way I know to deal with it is to intellectually try to deal with it as to what happened.
"Then once we've learned it, is to ring the warning bell so that no one else has to go through what we've gone through," he said.
The desire to prevent another family from having to experience the pain of losing a child in such a senseless manner is what motivated Don Hooten and his family to educate parents, coaches, friends and anyone else they can find about the dangers of abusing steroids.
"As we have learned through our tragedy, many people are ignorant about the dangers of this drug, including many athletic officials and even some in our medical community," Don Hooten said.
The family is forming a non-profit organization called the Taylor Hooten Foundation for Fighting Steroid Abuse and setting up a Web site on the dangers of steroids.
During the television interview, Don Hooten said he would take the primary blame for what happened to his son. But he really feels that more than one person was responsible for his son's death.
He said that he also believes the Plano West coaching staff was partially at fault.
"Coaches love to abdicate responsibility by saying it's a general society problem but it's also a coach's problem," he said. "The coach is number one in making decisions on who makes the team, who doesn't, and rewarding behavior. Coaches are in the position of rewarding guys for the exact results that steroids cause."
Taylor Hooten was a junior playing on the junior varsity team. A Plano West baseball coach told him that in order to play varsity, he would have to get bigger.
It was then his parents think he started using steroids.
After six to eight months of steroid use by their son, Don and Gwen started noticing changes in his behavior. Convinced something was wrong, they sought psychiatric help for him.
Upon the urging of his psychiatrist, Taylor Hooten told his parents of his addiction.
Shortly after, on the morning of July 15, 2003, Gwen Hooten found her son dead. He had hanged himself.
"Coaches need to be trained to recognize the symptoms of steroid use but most importantly take responsibility for a zero tolerance policy." said Don Hooten.
He does not think any coach instructed his son to use steroids. In fact, the Plano West baseball team's Web site has a list of conditioning drills and recommendation players are expected to follow.
But Don still feels that more could be done to educate young athletes of the dangers of steroids.
"I haven't seen an interest in taking responsibility for this problem and taking active steps to solve it," he told Stewart.
When asked by Stewart if he thought coaches bear any particular responsibility in keeping kids off steroids, Larry Guinn, a PISD official, said they do.
"No, I think they do have a special role," he said. "I think it is important for them and I think our coaches and athletic director make sure they do, to know that we need to send a message that steroids are inappropriate."
Don Hooten says now, with accusations that top national league baseball players have used performance enhancing steroids, the need to educate high school kids on the dangers of steroids is greater than ever.
"They are setting a terrible example," he said. "Kids like Taylor grow up to think: that's what it takes to get ahead in major league baseball."
Don and Gwen Hooten think the best way to prevent the untimely death of another young person is through education since most don't realize the danger they expose themselves to with steroids.
"One of the most difficult challenges we face is to get the public to understand there are many serious negative consequences of steroid use, that most are longer term in nature, and that they may not show up as immediately and as directly as they did with Taylor," he said.

max lift

Feb 24, 2005
canada
I know that after a cycle many become depresed, that point was stressed by some gym buds before I got going ,but people who are mentaly stable dont just kill them selfs because thay are depresed . I think their musta been a hell of a lot more going on than the juice .Its like saying cus you drink you are going to commit suicide .

I guess roids are the easy target in this case.

P

pincrusher

why is it that the never mention the fact that they need to start mandatory testing for steroids in schools? is it because of the cost? without testing, all the warnings in the world will not stop kids from using(case in point-dugie)
when are the parents also going to start accepting the responsibility instead of pushing it off on the coaches. who is around their child more, a coach or the parents?
this article is a joke and i cant wait till the site comes up so i can respond to it. NO TESTING=NO STOPPING THE USEAGE!!!!!!!
could it also be that he was addicted to something else like coke, but they blamed it on the steroids. you would think that if he was taking steroids, there would be something mentioned that the parents found some in the house after their child killed himself.

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
Blame the coach,baseball players, society, school officials. The parents are the ones abdicating responsibility. We all knew "that" kid in high school who killed himself and 9 times out of 10 he was a frickin wackadoo. God forgive me for saying that, and this. I'll bet this kid was a wackadoo as well. Suicide by hanging is a violent choice for a teenager. I know I can't diagnose this kid by one article but inducing so much pain upon yourself is a sign of deep seated turmoil.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Terrible thing to hear, i feel really bad for the kids family, i think the steroids played a role in the kids depression but not as big of a role as something else that was not mentioned that really pushed him to the edge like that to kill himself...

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Anasci.org said:
Terrible thing to hear, i feel really bad for the kids family, i think the steroids played a role in the kids depression but not as big of a role as something else that was not mentioned that really pushed him to the edge like that to kill himself...

I feel for the family for what they went through but to use steroids as the reason ... in which they probably don't know alot about other than it causes depression in some people and that's probably what they wanted to hear at the time. I think obviously there had to be alot more involved. Yes he was on steroids....however he was also going through alot at that age with school, friends, and family. Any of which could have caused him to do what he had done.

Tainter

Feb 10, 2005
This is a sad story, but it is NOT common. It is the only case of this happening in the last year. I have seen his story atleast 6 times on tv, including last night.

This story gained publicity to set an example for kids.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Tainter said:
This is a sad story, but it is NOT common. It is the only case of this happening in the last year. I have seen his story atleast 6 times on tv, including last night.

This story gained publicity to set an example for kids.

But it's sending the wrong message to the parents and lawmakers who don't know what steroids can and really do to someone mentally.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I think he was f'd up mentally before he ever took steroids. Sad, but more than likely true. Everyone always looks for something or someone to blame when bad things happen.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
tee said:
I think he was f'd up mentally before he ever took steroids. Sad, but more than likely true. Everyone always looks for something or someone to blame when bad things happen.

They probably blamed the steroids because it was the only "drugs" that was in his system that the doctors found out or that they knew of. They didn't consider other factors that could have led to it.

Nomad

Feb 9, 2005
I can't tell you how SICK I am of the press & this issue; main reason is the ignorance of the public on the topic. Tell me if these drugs are so evil why is HRT so popular right now?? Its F@#@$% ridiculous...guess we all have to chill out while this blows over & the US press starts blaming our problems/obstacles on something else...forget baseball...blaming other people/substances is the american pasttime-

Starting tomorrow we have to be inundated w/all the hearings; Regardless of what McGwire, Canseco, or any of these people say it doesnt change anything. Performance enhancing drugs have been a part of sport since the Greeks. Anyone with any knowledge back in '98 knew that many latin players hit the islands hard in the offseason cause of the availibility of the gear-just stop testing & finally level the field; shit sorry for the rant but I am tired of this...as far as steroids & depression...I am depressed until I get to start my next cycle :D

Nmd

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
nomad05 said:
I can't tell you how SICK I am of the press & this issue; main reason is the ignorance of the public on the topic. Tell me if these drugs are so evil why is HRT so popular right now?? Its F@#@$% ridiculous...guess we all have to chill out while this blows over & the US press starts blaming our problems/obstacles on something else...forget baseball...blaming other people/substances is the american pasttime-

Starting tomorrow we have to be inundated w/all the hearings; Regardless of what McGwire, Canseco, or any of these people say it doesnt change anything. Performance enhancing drugs have been a part of sport since the Greeks. Anyone with any knowledge back in '98 knew that many latin players hit the islands hard in the offseason cause of the availibility of the gear-just stop testing & finally level the field; shit sorry for the rant but I am tired of this...as far as steroids & depression...I am depressed until I get to start my next cycle :D

Nmd

So is it safe to assume that your "upset" about the situation. lol

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
oracle said:
But it's sending the wrong message to the parents and lawmakers who don't know what steroids can and really do to someone mentally.

Actually...Acutane has more suspected suicides than gear. Trust me, if you get acne from your cycle, look for an alternative method of dealing with it.

Nomad

Feb 9, 2005
nah just haven't been laid in a while...to all you bros who aren't married do yourself a favor stay single...lol

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
nomad05 said:
nah just haven't been laid in a while...to all you bros who aren't married do yourself a favor stay single...lol

So you arent getting any from the wife? Or your saying stay single but get no action?

Nomad

Feb 9, 2005
nothing from the mrs...can only imagine when I start running test next month...no wonder the XXX forumns are so popular-any one who says they get laid more now that they are married or either lying or gay...do I sound bitter?? lol

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
nomad05 said:
nothing from the mrs...can only imagine when I start running test next month...no wonder the XXX forumns are so popular-any one who says they get laid more now that they are married or either lying or gay...do I sound bitter?? lol

Damn bro....your grumpy tonight. lol

thunderterd

I love boobs
Mar 9, 2005
Quick: eastern time, wednesday 11 pm....turn to abc....the story is on once again as i type this.