©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Schools and steroids

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Teen Athletes Often Ignore Steroid Dangers

School District Starts Randomly Testing Student Athletes for Steroid Use

March 15, 2005 — Callahan Kuhns of Plano, Texas, was 17 when he started taking steroids. He learned what so many high school students already know — steroids work.

"We wanted the results and we wanted them fast," said Kuhns, who graduated last year from Plano West Senior High School. "We didn't want to have to work out for 10 years taking protein — the long-term stuff. We wanted to be big before the next season came up."

Within weeks, Kuhns says he gained 32 pounds. His bench press increased by more than 60 pounds.

"It was rapid weight gain," he said. "I looked like a marshmallow."

But steroids have serious side effects. They can lead to heart disease, liver tumors, terrible acne and depression, and are especially dangerous for teenagers.

"It will fool your body into thinking that you've completed adolescence and you will stop growing," said Dr. Gary Wadler, an associate professor of clinical medicine at New York University's School of Medicine. "It will close the growth plates, and you will never reach your genetic potential."

Ignoring Steroid Dangers

But Kuhns says most teenagers don't heed the dangers. What they see instead are bodybuilders with perfect physiques and baseball players making millions.

"People look at that and say, 'Geez, he doesn't look like he is having health problems, and he is knocking the ball out of the park every day,' " Kuhns said.

Although many students are using steroids, few high schools in the country are addressing the problem.

The school district in Polk County, Fla., however, is one of the first in the country to start random testing of its student athletes to check for steroid use.

"We'd like to send a message that says, 'If you are using steroids, stop. And if you aren't, don't start,' " said Audrey Kelley-Fritz, senior manager of drug prevention for Polk County schools.

At more than $100 each, the tests are expensive. But Kuhns says if his high school had tested, he might not have taken steroids.

"It would be scary," he said. "I mean, I probably wouldn't have done them. I didn't want my parents to find out

Kuhns did stop taking steroids. But it was only after his friend Taylor Hooten, who had been on steroids with him, suffered a steroid-related bout of depression and committed suicide

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
They should def start the testing in the schools, you could consider the product illegal and arrest people for possessing and all. but what good is that gonna do if theres nothing being done beyond that point. they should really be re enforcing it enough with the testing in the schools. until then.. people are gonna want the edge that they obtain from them.

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
I thik they should test in schools since all these parents have their panties in a bunch over juice. Make AAS a prescription drug again without a controlled substance classification and make sure teens arent taking them. Adults should be allowed to take thm if they want under a doctors care. Then let the whiners go away!

P

pincrusher

its about time a school has stepped up and is showing congress what really needs to be done to prevent kids from taking juice.
congress should make it mandatory for ALL schools to test atheletes for steroid use and they should federally fund it so the school boards cant limit how many kids get tested because of the cost factor.
doesnt congress realize that by sensationalizing steroids and continuing to tell kids how much of a difference they can make to performance, that all they are doing is encouraging them to use instead of detering them. it doesnt matter how much you tell a kid something is bad for ya, he is only thinking about today and doesnt care about 20 years from now when the negatives from using steroids at a young age will show their true colors.

Freejay

Feb 3, 2005
Michigan
Amen Pin! I saw a guy in the gym last night with what I assume was his little brother working out. This kid was barely 11 or 12 years old, and his older brother is yelling at him "come on push it up". Not only is juice a definate no, no for teens, but I dont believe in any weight training when the body is not done growing yet.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Freejay said:
Amen Pin! I saw a guy in the gym last night with what I assume was his little brother working out. This kid was barely 11 or 12 years old, and his older brother is yelling at him "come on push it up". Not only is juice a definate no, no for teens, but I dont believe in any weight training when the body is not done growing yet.

Alot of little kids have a fascination of being "buff" so they start out early. Alot of them don't have the discipline to continue. And of course they really don't know what happens to their bodies when they start at a young age. My son wants to start but i won't let him until he gets into high school. Then i'll juice the hell out of him. just kidding.