©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Protein powder as main protein source? Yes or no and why?

dorian777

Apr 28, 2013
Is vege protein powder better?

No way. And if you only use powder as your protein source, you'll be on the toilet all day and you'll stay small. You have to get in 3 squares from whole foods per day or you will not grow to your potential.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
No way. And if you only use powder as your protein source, you'll be on the toilet all day and you'll stay small. You have to get in 3 squares from whole foods per day or you will not grow to your potential.

Prove this.... Not the toilet, but that you won't grow. What kind of food are you talking? What if it isn't grass fed or organic, I guess you won't grow to your potential then either because of the chemicals... Back your point with evidence

I know people that have used only protein powder because it is a cost effective option and that was all they could afford. If you use a multi species protein you will get a complete amino acid profile in a highly usable form...

dorian777

Apr 28, 2013
Prove this.... Not the toilet, but that you won't grow. What kind of food are you talking? What if it isn't grass fed or organic, I guess you won't grow to your potential then either because of the chemicals... Back your point with evidence

I know people that have used only protein powder because it is a cost effective option and that was all they could afford. If you use a multi species protein you will get a complete amino acid profile in a highly usable form...

The proof is the fact that you're on the toilet all day. Obviously, the protein's being digested too quickly and causing digestive problems. I can get a pound of chicken breast for $2.99 all day long yielding 120-130 g of protein. How's a powder any cheaper than that? I don't believe Mr. Olympia really eats the supps like they tell you in the mags. I do agree you should add them to your diet, but I don't believe in living on them. Man-made is never as good as nature-made when it comes to food.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
The proof is the fact that you're on the toilet all day. Obviously, the protein's being digested too quickly and causing digestive problems. I can get a pound of chicken breast for $2.99 all day long yielding 120-130 g of protein. How's a powder any cheaper than that? I don't believe Mr. Olympia really eats the supps like they tell you in the mags. I do agree you should add them to your diet, but I don't believe in living on them. Man-made is never as good as nature-made when it comes to food.

Not all protein will have you on the shitter... Do I believe that food comes first, yes, but you have no solid evidence what you are stating... What about casein protein? What about beef protein? What about milk protein? What about egg protein, soy protein, pea protein, hemp protein....? One can use a variety if needed and still reap the benefits

dorian777

Apr 28, 2013
Not all protein will have you on the shitter... Do I believe that food comes first, yes, but you have no solid evidence what you are stating... What about casein protein? What about beef protein? What about milk protein? What about egg protein, soy protein, pea protein, hemp protein....? One can use a variety if needed and still reap the benefits

So I guess you're saying I should combine several proteins in a jug and drink them all day long. I do that...for three of my meals. The other three contain steak, chicken, fish, or sushi. I realize powders have come a long ways over the years. When I started this, egg and milk were the main one. If you could ask all of the past Mr. Olympias what they ate, they'd probably say...real food. Especially, the early guys. Do you really think Arnold drank that nasty shit Weider was pushing?

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
So I guess you're saying I should combine several proteins in a jug and drink them all day long. I do that...for three of my meals. The other three contain steak, chicken, fish, or sushi. I realize powders have come a long ways over the years. When I started this, egg and milk were the main one. If you could ask all of the past Mr. Olympias what they ate, they'd probably say...real food. Especially, the early guys. Do you really think Arnold drank that nasty shit Weider was pushing?

Ok, so you do realize that powders have a use and are effective... If fats are adds and digestion is slowed down in the shake then one would not be shitting all day. I feel the issue is when someone just slams a shake and uses the same protein over and again with nothing slowing down digestion. I will agree with you that excessive use of straight protein powder is not optimal and that it will likely be excreted too quickly but there are ways to use shakes (with added fats and or carbs & fiber) to alter the rate of digestion and enhance absorption....

Although I am playing devils advocate with shakes, all but one meal is a shake fir me on a daily basis.... As I said earlier, whole food and the micronutrients it provides is much more suitable for building a good physique...

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I can't stress this enough. If you're experiencing digestive stress from your shakes, whether it's one a day or 8 a day makes no difference, you need to switch to a different type of protein. Try a non-dairy protein like beef, egg or soy. Even with a faster transit and digestion rate, it should not be causing you to have diarrhea. That's the equivalent of saying that you get diarrhea from a drinking a gallon of water a day.

Spend $20 or $30 and buy a jug of beef protein isolate and try it for yourself. Ditch the dairy based proteins and you'll see an improvement. I had massive amounts of issues until I switched to beef protein isolate. Now I can drink as many shakes a day as I want and have no negative reactions. No gas , no bloating, no diarrhea, nothing. And if you want to slow down the digestion rate, add a scoop of a fiber supplement that contains plenty of soluble fiber to your shake. That'll slow down digestion and help you feel fuller, longer.

I'm not advocating only drinking shakes, or saying that whole food isn't better. I'm just saying that there's a lot of bashing of shakes going on here, and most of it is due to misinformation. Guys use shakes and have digestive problems, and want to say protein shakes aren't useful, when they don't really understand why they had the issues they had in the first place. You don't say that all cars are pieces of shit just because yours broke down, do you? Don't do the same with your supplements.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Been using wet wipes since 2001. Changed my life.