©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Looking for help w/worker's comp-self employed

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Ok, so when I was young and dumb I did lot's of crazy work for my contracting biz. I would work on roofs, lifts ladders in ways they were not designed too, just to make a buck.

I put these picks up all over the place of course. Fast forward to today and I am done doing all that crap and am doing mostly ground work and no exterior painting anymore. Now, I want to get worker's comp for me and one or two of my employees...only thing is...they looked back at my facebook page and my website and saw all that old stuff and want to hit me up for big bucks (10K) and that is if I say I don't make crap.

Meanwhile my buddy the handyman who does the same crap I do only pays $1100.

Anyone know how I can give my company a makeover? I can take the old pics off and stuff, but what about my previous quote and and policies? Should I start over...dunno?

Hawk

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Id get some different quotes hawk all they should be able to base your quote off of is the type/class of work you do and your annual payrole period. My work comp insurer does an audit every year on my payroll and thats the only thing that makes mine go up or down every year. If it becomes a problem hawk let me know one of my good friends is a broker he knows all the ins and outs of it hes done all my insurance for the last 16 years ill call him and see if theres a way to get around what their doin.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Id get some different quotes hawk all they should be able to base your quote off of is the type/class of work you do and your annual payrole period. My work comp insurer does an audit every year on my payroll and thats the only thing that makes mine go up or down every year. If it becomes a problem hawk let me know one of my good friends is a broker he knows all the ins and outs of it hes done all my insurance for the last 16 years ill call him and see if theres a way to get around what their doin.

Thanks man, I am thinking about cancelling my insurance with my current agent and then going somewhere else as a "handy man"? Dunno yet?

Hawk

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Thanks man, I am thinking about cancelling my insurance with my current agent and then going somewhere else as a "handy man"? Dunno yet?

Hawk

You might look for an insurance broker vs an insurance agent...agent only sells for one company a broker can bounce your quote off hundreds of different insurance companies to get you the best rate mine even plays one company against the other lol.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Yea, i did the same thing. Went to a different company. I had zero claims in 11 years so it was quite easy. Get rid of the pics and don't ever make a claim on anything you say you don't do. Before my wife had insurance I had comp of myself, but was divided between bidding, office work, and field work, and this helped keep costs down. Once my wife got insurance through work, I exempted myself from workman's comp. As I'm sure you also know, get those liability certificates from your subs as they can stick it in your ass during yoyr anual audit.