©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

The Mountain from "Game of Thrones on HBO" wins Europe's strongest man 2014

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
http://www.strongman.org/news/europes-strongest-man-2014/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...hrones-wins-europes-strongest-man-competition

(Following from the bleacherreport.com)

Remember*Hafthor*Bjornsson? That giant, terrifying human being who plays Gregor “The Mountain”*Clegane*on HBO’sGame of Thrones?

If you’re not up to date onBjornsson’s story, he’s just a humble Icelandic strongman competitor who happened to find his niche in showbiz as an evil dread knight.

Remember*Hafthor*Bjornsson? That giant, terrifying human being who plays Gregor “The Mountain”*Clegane*on HBO’sGame of Thrones?

If you’re not up to date onBjornsson’s story, he’s just a humble Icelandic strongman competitor who happened to find his niche in showbiz as an evil dread knight.

He’s massive. The Mountain is massive. It’s your typical, 6’9”-Nordic-giant-finds-dream-role story.

When he’s not splitting skulls like ripe papaya on the*Game of Thrones*set, the towering lifter continues to compete in strongman competitions around the world.

Bjornsson’s biggest accomplishment to date came earlier this month at Europe’s Strongest Man competition. The man nicknamed “The Icelander” won four of six strength competitions. He also ripped his shirt off and earned himself a new nickname, “The King of Stones,” which I believe we can all agree is sufficiently spectacular.

UpRoxx’s Danger Guerrerospotted video of the shirt-sundering madness that occurred after*Bjornsson*won the event’s stone-lifting challenge (skip to the 2:40 mark for shirt-ripping action).

After putting the sixth and final stone in place,*Bjornsson*tore his shirt like cheesecloth and proceeded to give one the best and briefest interviews in modern sport.

Here is a transcription of that interview:

Reporter: So you’re King of the Stones and you proved why today, completing all six stones…the only person to do that. Tell us how different that challenge is to conventional, classic [lifting].

Bjornsson: [Brain doubles over, struggling to free itself from the fog of adrenaline]

It’s all…um…all strength…I am the future…OF STRENGTH! AND THE KING OF STONES!

That*is how you conduct an interview: short, sweet and none of the canned modesty most athletes keep on tap for media interviews.*

Bjornsson’s reaction boiled down to raw, long-cut emotion.*I’m no scientist, and I can only imagine the chemical cocktail your brain releases when you scream “I am the future of strength.” Bottle that and you'd spend the rest of your life deciding which yacht to buy next.

The best part of all this is howBjornsson*commemorated becoming the strongest, baddest man in Europe. He put on a pink shirt and took his daughter on a road trip.

See? He may be the future of strength, but The Mountain is also the cutting edge of big, pink teddy bears.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
He's also in the video about Icelandic Strongmen that someone posted here a few months ago. He's a big, strong mofo.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Wow, he's 6'9"? That's a massive man! I wonder if any US football teams have approached him?

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Wow, he's 6'9"? That's a massive man! I wonder if any US football teams have approached him?
Yep I posted something a while back. I think it was the colts but he had a pretty bad knee injury or something. I'll find the article and post it up

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5352833

In the "Game of Thrones," you either win or you're recast.

Last night's episode*of the hit HBO show had death, pervy pick-up lines and a huge -- literally --*casting change. The man hacking up prisoners and generally towering over everyone else in King's Landing is Hafþór Júlíus "Thor" Björnsson, the newest actor to take on the role of Gregor Clegane, known to "GoT" fans as simply the Mountain. The character has seen plenty of shuffling over four seasons as Björnsson is now the third man to don the King's Guard uniform and do Tywin Lannister's dirty work, following the departures of Ian Whyte and Conan Stevens.

And while both Stevens and Whyte perfectly played the king's brutish right-hand man, Björnsson resume proves he's the best choice to embody one of the most feared men in Westeros. Here are eight*facts*about the man known throughout the Seven Kingdoms as the Mountain.

Björnsson is 6 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 403 pounds, making him one of the show's largest cast members.

After injuring his knee in basketball, Björnsson started competing in strongman competitions. He's won Iceland's Strongest Man competition and came in 6th in the 2011 World's Strongest Man contest.

He could've been playing football for the Indianapolis Colts if owner Jim Irsay*had his way.

To keep that mountainous physique, he eats over 10,000 calories a day.

His favorite character on the show is Cersei Lannister (go figure).

He can*bench press*507 lbs. That's the size of a full-grown grizzly bear.

During his "GoT" audition, Björnsson said he nabbed the role after a lifting a man in front of the casting team.

The Great Sword Björnsson handles on the show is the size of a human being, but we doubt he has any problem swinging it.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
I was just watching the 2014 Worlds Strongest Man...Zydrunis Savickas took first and Bjornsson took second! They were only separated by half a point!!

Bjornsson's biggest struggle was with the squat. His extreme height really made it hard for him. The weight for everyone was 725lbs. He only managed 6 reps and most of those reps looked REALLY unstable! I'm sure the knee injury that Phoe referred to didn't help him any.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Strongman comp has always been my first love but I've came to the conclusion long ago that it juts wasn't for me. I'll have to watch that video though thanks bio

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Final Official World’s Strongest Man Results for 2014:

1 - Zydrunas Savickas – 64
2 - Hafthor Bjørnson – 63.5
3 - Brian Shaw – 61
4 - Mike Burke – 40
5 - Terry Hollands – 38
6 - Eddie Hall – 33
7 - David Ostlund – 32
8 - Warrick Brant – 29.5