©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Cardio????

smikey211

Mar 7, 2005
Will I be defeating the purpose of gaining if I run while on cycle? If not when is the best time to run? Morning or afternoon? Before or after a meal? What should I eat or drink afterwards? I know Most of this bloat is water, but I'd like to burn off what ian't.

Thx

smikey

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
If you want to bulk, I wouldn't recommend running. You can power walk if you want cardio and dont want to eat your size up much. If you are cutting, you can run to your heart's content. I would alternate days of lifting, then running. I drink my protein right after my workouts.

Bizarro

Oracle's my Mod
Aug 16, 2004
Toxic Dump
Common rule of thumb is to run in the morning on an empty stomach but I agree with Tee that you should do it moderately if at all. Also, run in your TARGET HEART RATE ZONE so you burn fat and not muscle. This usually means setting the treadmill to about 4.0 and leaving it there. You will feel silly because its nothing more than a very light jog but this way you wont dip into your precious muscle reserves...

smikey211

Mar 7, 2005
Bizarro said:
Common rule of thumb is to run in the morning on an empty stomach but I agree with Tee that you should do it moderately if at all. Also, run in your TARGET HEART RATE ZONE so you burn fat and not muscle. This usually means setting the treadmill to about 4.0 and leaving it there. You will feel silly because its nothing more than a very light jog but this way you wont dip into your precious muscle reserves...

So if I hit the gym from 5am to 5:30 am and set the treadmill at the 4.0 you recomend and eat breakfast afterwards that would be ok?

smikey

recess

Nov 16, 2004
The Classroom
smikey211 said:
So if I hit the gym from 5am to 5:30 am and set the treadmill at the 4.0 you recomend and eat breakfast afterwards that would be ok?

smikey

From info I have read - Take in a good protien source with some fast acting carbs. I sometimes drink some gatorade and follow with protien. 30 min after that eat a good breakfast and carry on.

gregdiesel

AnaSCI's Ivan Drago
Apr 3, 2005
I didn't do cardio for a year so I could bulk. Now I do about 10 minutes of 5.5 or 6.0 3x a week, just shorter sprints for endurance.

BIGENUFF

Mar 24, 2005
Doing cardio in reasonable amounts is needed not only to help keep off any unwanted love handles but it also prepares your body for an endurance boost. Lifting weights and cardio are different in the idea that muscles can go the weight but need to go the distance as well. Your training your body to handle the load and handle the load for a specified amount of time. I prefer doing cardio in the evening because it is wise to drop some calories before consuming a large meal (dinner). You also have a better chance of rest after a good span of cardio and then a good meal. Your body also favors storing a larger supply of aminos and glucose after a good training/cardio event.