©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Dieting is not Cheap

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I have been on a very strict diet for the past month or so. My diet coach has it listed out how he wants me to eat. 6 meals per day. I was looking over receipts from Sam's Club and the grocery store. This diet is just whole foods. I am not on any type of powdered proteins, etc.

I have kind of got a feel for the amount of food and what that food costs me every week. My proteins are fish, sirloin steak, lots of chicken, and ground turkey. Sweet potatoes are a major part of my diet also- for my carbs. Luckily I have a large flock of chickens, so eggs aren't really included in my figure. The less expensive stuff is salad mix, veggies, and other stuff like balsamic vinegar and olive oil. I know I am forgetting something.

But, according to my closest figure, this diet costs me $15 a day. So, if we break it down farther. I have dropped 20 lbs since I have started, 244lbs to 224lbs. So, basically a month of dieting costs approximately $400. We are just talking food here, nothing else like testosterone, etc. Luckily I am cruising on this diet at 250mg of test enanthate a week. If we get into the possiblilty of adding in dnp, t3, clen, Primo, Masteron, etc., we are getting into some serious bucks.

So, that equates to $400 for 20lbs, which is 20 bucks a pound. Lol. I am already leveling off, so each pound of fat lost, and eventually, each pound of muscle gained costs a fortune with a proper diet.

On a side note, if I go figure what a year of deer hunting expenses are, I would probably quit hunting... That is my other passion. Wonder what a pound of venison costs by the time it ends on the plate. Haha, I bet its close to 100 bucks a pound.

What are you guys spending on food when cutting?

Last edited:

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
My grocery bill is almost double that. You must be doing a pretty good job getting deals. Just like gas food is not cheap anymore

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Diet shopping is all about finding the deals at different places around town and taking advantage of them. We've got a Whole Foods type place here that sells chicken breast for $1.99/lb on Tuesdays. Free range, antibiotic free, blah blah blah. Basically good quality chicken that they usually charge $5-6/lb for. I stock up when I can make it there. Dollar General now has a market type grocery store in our town too. Lean ground beef there for $1.50/lb. Sirloin steaks for $2.75/lb I think as well. It's a huge pain to make an entire day out of grocery shopping, and having to hit 6 different stores, but it can save a couple hundred bucks a month if u plan it right. Just gotta do a little searching to find the good deals. Good luck bro, I feel your pain. Dieting is rough in more ways than one.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
$15/day for six whole food meals. That's awesome considering your eating fish, steak, and chicken along with veggies for less than $3 meal. My kids eat your daily budget in snacks alone!

greggy

Oct 27, 2012
I definitely feel your pain. That's what's wrong with today's society. It's cheaper to eat fast food than it is to eat properly.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
$15/day for six whole food meals. That's awesome considering your eating fish, steak, and chicken along with veggies for less than $3 meal. My kids eat your daily budget in snacks alone!

Yep, I have to again hand it to my wife for all the shopping and planning. The sirloin is like $7 a lb at Sams but is choice grade and grain fed, etc. I can get the steak a lot cheaper but I can't stand steak that is not up to a decent standard. On the veggies, my lack of pickiness equates to saving money also. We get one of those 6.6lb restaurant sized cans and I just eat peas with every meal until their gone, then eat green beans until that can is gone.

I did find this soybean in the pod veggie called Edamamie or spelled something like that. I love that stuff, for variety every couple of days. I was chewing up and swallowing them pods and all, until my wife caught me and showed me how to get the beans out of the pod. The pods weren't meant to be eaten. lol

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Actually, other than the thick rope-like membrane that joins the 2 halves of the pod together, the whole thing is perfectly edible. It's mostly a texture thing that keeps most people from eating it. If u peel that seam off from end to end the whole thing eats pretty easily after that. I like to soak mine in some salt water for a few hours before eating them, then throw a little garlic infused olive oil over them and toss in a bowl. Makes a good snack.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Actually, other than the thick rope-like membrane that joins the 2 halves of the pod together, the whole thing is perfectly edible. It's mostly a texture thing that keeps most people from eating it. If u peel that seam off from end to end the whole thing eats pretty easily after that. I like to soak mine in some salt water for a few hours before eating them, then throw a little garlic infused olive oil over them and toss in a bowl. Makes a good snack.
I'm sure it adds to the fiber for an easy bathroom time. Lol. Good point sully. I'll try your system

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Hmmmmm, I never checked to see if they had more fiber that way. They might. The fiberous texture of the pods can make them a little tough to chew. Some people don't like them no matter what. I also eat shrimp with the shell on, so U might be better off not listening to me.

BrianS

Jul 28, 2015
Yes the bill can be expensive but the food you're taking is good for your health. And you are already noticing improvement.

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
Buying a big freezer and butchering a whole beef will cut your bill a ton and the quality is second to none of you get hooked up with a good butcher

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Buying a big freezer and butchering a whole beef will cut your bill a ton and the quality is second to none of you get hooked up with a good butcher

That is a great way to do it, save money, and get a better quality beef. I've done this all my life and have never bought beef from the store, other than steaks when they run out. Where I live grass fed beef isn't even an up charge and are often less as we have the space to put cattle to pasture.

machomadness22

Aug 19, 2015
I spend about $80 a week in food from Costo give or take I'm not really following a specific diet but I buy 1 huge 8-10lb bag of chicken, thing of tuna, 2 crates of eggs for me and the wife,3 things of almond milk and I usually pick up a couple of steaks a week from Safeway or something. I buy all my brown rice in bulk so I usually have to replace that every few months same with oatmeal a a big bag of whey!

Phoenixk2

AnaSCI VET
Dec 2, 2013
I spend about $80 a week in food from Costo give or take I'm not really following a specific diet but I buy 1 huge 8-10lb bag of chicken, thing of tuna, 2 crates of eggs for me and the wife,3 things of almond milk and I usually pick up a couple of steaks a week from Safeway or something. I buy all my brown rice in bulk so I usually have to replace that every few months same with oatmeal a a big bag of whey!
Only $80 a week? Today at Costco I'll spend about $40 on my steaks for the week alone...

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Only $80 a week? Today at Costco I'll spend about $40 on my steaks for the week alone...

Yeah, at Sam's a pack of sirloin steak runs about 20-25 bucks. I believe they are USDA Choice grade vs Select grade you get at alot of places. I think Costco beef is Choice grade also. Well worth the extra money, in my opinion.

machomadness22

Aug 19, 2015

Yeah, at Sam's a pack of sirloin steak runs about 20-25 bucks. I believe they are USDA Choice grade vs Select grade you get at alot of places. I think Costco beef is Choice grade also. Well worth the extra money, in my opinion.

Haha yeah that's why I don't buy steaks at Costco I don't eat enough red meat to justify spending that much upfront, like I said if I get the urge for a burger or steak ill jut run down the street to Safeway in the long run I'm probably spending more.

Phoenixk2

AnaSCI VET
Dec 2, 2013

I grill up a bunch of steak and chicken thighs and cut them all up and put in a large glass container. Then I go to Chipotle and buy 4-5 brown rice bowls with mild salsa and some pinto beans(only in 2 of them) for about $5-$6. I take home and mix all the rice together. Then I have a very tasty brown rice mixture to eat with my meat.