©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Slower release carb powders

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
I am just curious if any of you guys use complex carb powders? I see threads about Karboload, Dextrose and HBCD's but never about other carb powders. I prefer whole foods but sometimes powders are more convenient. Price comes into it for me as on a bit of a budget now. I use HBCD's and aminos during workouts so have mainly used oat powder as it's the cheapest (and effective). I sometimes add oats to my fruit smoothies or with some chocolate protein powder in a shake.

The best powder I have probably used is Activated Barley. That's a great low GI carbohydrate source and high in beta-glucan levels. Then you have the similar powders made from waxy-barley starch. Sweet Potato powder seems to be on the rise but I have never used that but plan to.

I have also used some flours in food or added them to shakes and they have been good (although can taste a bit shit). These include quinoa flour, teff flour, kamut flour and amaranth flour. There are a few I haven't tried such as buckwheat flour and freekah flour. Maca powder is another useful one and fairly high in protein too.

Just curious if anyone has used any of these and if so how did you find them? Most of my carbs in the future will be the usual whole foods (always lots of fruit too) but out of the powders mainly gonna stick to oats and barley.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I was looking at Truenutrition.Com the other day. It's crazy what's out there. They even have egg white powder. Drinking food is, at times, much more convenient. I blend oats and water and almost daily blend water, and cooked sweet potatoes and drink em. Just so much easier for me.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
How's quinoa ground up taste. Oats are fine and I've even blended uncooked brown rice and drank it. Never done quinoa

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
How's quinoa ground up taste. Oats are fine and I've even blended uncooked brown rice and drank it. Never done quinoa

Not much taste, I prefer to grind my grains in the coffee grinder instead of doing it with the shake. It's much finer and not near as gritty, just make sure you have the measurements down from unground and ground. I also use dried beans as well. The black beans have very little taste as well and give additional protein.

Elvia1023

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Oct 28, 2007
The bad thing is then grinding of it already accelerates absorption. I do grind oats and quinoa in my morning shakes for sustained energy.

Quinoa is another great one. Thanks for posting. I just mentioned this in my other thread but I don't have powdered oats regularly now as I prefer to eat them. One of my fav (and fast) meals for breakfast is porridge with sultanas, goji berries and banana pieces. Then after it is cooked I add chia seeds and chocolate (or toffee) protein powder. This gives me a massive and sustained boost of energy. Ok it would if I didn't eat so much of it that I end up feeling full, bloated and tired :D