©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Mustang gt 5.0 problem! HELP!!!!

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
Hopefully someone here knows a little about mustang rearends. I have a 2011 mustang gt. Just had the Ford dealer replace my old ring and pinion bc it was whining. They were 373s and I went back with the same. Now, I hear a knock noise only when I have my foot on accelerator while in gear. For example, if I'm going 50mgh in 6th gear, I can hear a knock. If I'm at 50mph in 5th, I don't hear it. I may not hear it bc my exhaust is so loud. But the main thing is I only hear it while in gear.

aon1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
Is it more of a hard click or knock? If its more of a hard click sound they may have set it up wrong . Whatever the case if it started after they replaced it I'd be taking it back.

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
Is it more of a hard click or knock? If its more of a hard click sound they may have set it up wrong . Whatever the case if it started after they replaced it I'd be taking it back.
More of a click and it's only when in gear. If I take it out of gear, there is no noise. I took it back with in a few minutes of me getting it yesterday and the guy said to keep driving and see what it does. He also said something about polyurethane bushings making the noise but I think thats a line of crap

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
I used to watch my brother in law change out gears on his 99 GT in high school...he ran 4.33 gears with a 16 inch tire and nitrous...thing was a 1/8th mile money making machine...would pull the front wheels up a couple inches off the ground launching at 5 grand haha

He would always have to take it back apart and re set em...would always take him a couple try's to get it to not make noise and he won 1st place in auto tech nationals...he was the best high school mechanic in the whole country...so...

aon1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
More of a click and it's only when in gear. If I take it out of gear, there is no noise. I took it back with in a few minutes of me getting it yesterday and the guy said to keep driving and see what it does. He also said something about polyurethane bushings making the noise but I think thats a line of crap

It sounds like they set it up wrong, if its under warrenty and they won't fix it till it breaks it will just be there loss. If they put it off it going to ruin the pinion if they did do it wrong .

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
Well the thing that sucks is I paid the guy to do it as a side job and he's saying it's nothing he did but all indications say otherwise

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
well threaten to go to the dealership he is most likely stealing the parts from to do his side jobs so they can fire his ass if you have to get serious with the guy

I know it's a common problem for the gt500's rear end to wine like hell from the factory...

Rpr4

Jul 16, 2014
south carolina
I thought about that. The issue is that the shop manager knows he did it as a side job. I'd probably have to go to the general manager

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
Definitely the rear end and he definitely done something wrong. The reason you don't hear it out of gear is because you're not putting any pressure on it. It's gonna cost you more down the road if you don't get it corrected now.

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
I just got the wife a 2012 GT. I've got a 02 BMW M3 and can still bust that ponys ass! So sell that ford and get you a BMW M-Car lol.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
I just got the wife a 2012 GT. I've got a 02 BMW M3 and can still bust that ponys ass! So sell that ford and get you a BMW M-Car lol.

Ya but you know the GT sounds better! Can't beat the sound of a good ole American V8....unlike my Subaru WRX that sounds like a sewing machine haha

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
Ya but you know the GT sounds better! Can't beat the sound of a good ole American V8....unlike my Subaru WRX that sounds like a sewing machine haha
Unfortunately I have to agree with you lol. Although the M3s sound great. The mustangs have a tune of there own. She's already buying motor upgrades for it. We both street race close to where we live. It's a closed road and the cops alow it and they are 50 cars or more on Saturday nights. So it's a cool Hobbie we can both share. uploadfromtaptalk1457303989058.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457304002835.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457304026326.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457304043173.jpg if you can't tell. I'm in love with my car.
O and there's one pic of her car the night we got it blah blah blah.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
Very nice stable ya got going!! I've always loved m3 and m5's...awesome cars for driving enthusiasts...here a pic of my little 4 banger economy commuter car...one of the few cars that you can still turn the nanny computer b.s. all the way off, great driving experience! Pic was taken out in southwest Texas on a friends deer lease

image.png

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
Very nice stable ya got going!! I've always loved m3 and m5's...awesome cars for driving enthusiasts...here a pic of my little 4 banger economy commuter car...one of the few cars that you can still turn the nanny computer b.s. all the way off, great driving experience! Pic was taken out in southwest Texas on a friends deer lease

View attachment 21758
Sharp ride! I've always liked the Subaru cars.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
Sharp ride! I've always liked the Subaru cars.

Thanks! in high school I had a ls1 z28 with a cam, longtubes, gears, 3800 converter, 125 wet shot and a tune that ran low 11's....

I never learned how to drive a manual tho and just taught myself with the Subaru. Can't believe how much fun I was missing out on!! I don't have the patience to wait on the syncros so I just double clutch most downshifts and drop it right into gear...such a cool feeling...I can't believe most people are switching to automatics these days

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
Thanks! in high school I had a ls1 z28 with a cam, longtubes, gears, 3800 converter, 125 wet shot and a tune that ran low 11's....

I never learned how to drive a manual tho and just taught myself with the Subaru. Can't believe how much fun I was missing out on!! I don't have the patience to wait on the syncros so I just double clutch every downshift and drop it right into gear...such a cool feeling...I can't believe most people are switching to automatics these days
Yeah the manuals are so much more fun. Was your z28 an LS1, man those motors can make so much power. I races a built LS1 with slicks and 150 shot. He got me buy half a car but I spun all thru first and by the time I ran him back down he sprayed me. I have it on video if I can find it I'll post it but it was at night.

humpthebobcat

Dec 22, 2013
Ya, it was a ls1...they were monsters compared to the little 4.6's they were putting in the Mustangs....until the terminators came out (03-04 cobra) those things could make 700hp without ever taking the valve covers off

ya traction is important...we all rolled around on pro stars with e.t. streets and skinnies 24/7 haha

Yeah the manuals are so much more fun. Was your z28 an LS1, man those motors can make so much power. I races a built LS1 with slicks and 150 shot. He got me buy half a car but I spun all thru first and by the time I ran him back down he sprayed me. I have it on video if I can find it I'll post it but it was at night.

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
Ya, it was a ls1...they were monsters compared to the little 4.6's they were putting in the Mustangs....until the terminators came out (03-04 cobra) those things could make 700hp without ever taking the valve covers off

ya traction is important...we all rolled around on pro stars with e.t. streets and skinnies 24/7 haha
Her original plan was to buy a 03 Mach 1 and put the cobra charger on it. Those are supposed to be beast with that combo but we could never find a Mach 1 with low enough miles. Amateurmale use to drag race. We got on the topic a few years ago and he post a pic. I'm pretty sure he had a grand national that would scream.