©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

How much water is too much?

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
I drink between 2 liters to a gallon in an hour or so when lifting, I feel bloated as hell when I leave, is that normal or am I drinking too much??

BigBob

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 10, 2012
I think that too much too soon. Could throw off your electrolyte balance. A gallon over a 12 hour period is ok. Chewie, don't you feel like pucking? I'd gag for sure. Lol

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I agree with Bob, unless your sweating like a whore in church, that may be a bit much. For me 40-60oz depending upon the time of year. Summer on tren may be pushing a half a gallon but that's tops. I work outside and even 9 physical in 100° heat I'll drink 2 1/2 gallons at most. If your scale is accurate enough, you could try weighing yourself pre and post and see. Ideally your weight should remain unchanged.

zoey101fan

Jun 3, 2013
A blood test should tell you if you're doing too much.

I have an OCD water drinking habit and I go 4 gallons + per day. Sodium always pops low. I swapped out some of the water for powerade zero, started adding massive amounts of salt to my food, and started eating packets of salt at random intervals.

I have been able to get my sodium levels into a normal range by doing this.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
That's a lot of water in that short period of time. I would drink that in the hours right before your workout to give your body time to absorb and hydrate. I go by the color of my urine and if its almost colorless, I'm happy.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
having your electrolytes of normally with Na, P, K , Ca, and Mg you will see and feel muscle spasm and twitching. Each one is unique but for sodium being to low from the water diluting it "hyponatremia" head ache, vomiting, anorexia, confusion, loss of energy and fatigue, restlessness and irritability, muscle weakness, spasms or cramps, seizures, coma, and death iIF YOU HOLD IN YOUR URINE!!! thats how that lady died doin the water challenge for a Nintendo Wii.

Use to get roofers in all the time in the ER. Zoey has hit it on the nail with powerade zero.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
I know for myself I cant get down more than 1- 1.5 gallons per day but I truly believe that plenty.

cybrsage

May 1, 2015
I agree with The Brick. Drink a quart or so an hour before working out, then take another quart or half gallon of water with you to the gym...but no more than that. The body will be well hydrated prior to going and you can replace what you lose and some extra while there without going overboard.

Too much water in too short a time can actually kill you.

Anderson Rome

Banned
Mar 11, 2016
Well water is the need of our life and body. We can't live without drinking water. It is important to drink healthy water but it is also good to drink lot of water in a day. I drink more than 20 glasses of water during the day.

Anderson Rome

Banned
Mar 11, 2016
Well water is the need of our life and body. We can't live without drinking water. It is important to drink healthy water but it is also good to drink lot of water in a day. I drink more than 20 glasses of water during the day.
////

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel

Jun 3, 2016
it’s possible to drink too much water, but difficult to do. There is a condition called hyponatremia, usually found in endurance athletes.