©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Smoked food

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
I was thinking we need to start a forum for smoking meat. One of my greatest loves is smoked food. Tonight I did pork ribs. I soaked two racks in brown sugar and root beer for 2 hours before lighting the pit getting it good and hot and then I added sassafras chips to the coal and the ribs. They turned out pretty good. But I'm not one for eating the same flavor all the time. I do love my sassafras with pork and alder wooky with fish.

What's y'all take on brings, rubs, and other bbq ideas for smoked food.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I love smoked food. I have XL Big Green Egg and absolutely love it. I harvest alot of my own protein, deer, pheasants, geese, elk, buffalo, fish.... All great smoked. I also brine and smoke chickens and turkey. It's the perfect on the go food since it excellent cold. I also make buckboard bacon from pork loin which is a great reduced fat alternative to bacon. I also love the idea of controlling the nitrates used in cures, as prepackaged cured foods have way to many. If you want some excellent recipes as well as rubs and sauces, go to the egghead forums. If you have never tried an ABT (atomic buffalo turd) I highly suggest you do so.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444704672798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444704672798.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Magnus's TurkeyTurkey Brine

2 gallons water
2 c brown sugar
2 c salt
4 T Curing salt

Marinate
Turkey-3 days
Chicken-2 days
Buckboard bacon- 7 days
Ham- 4 weeks

Smoke with hickory or hickory/cherry

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
ABT (Atomic Buffalo Turds)
Fill seeded and halved jalapeños with
Softened cream cheese, 3T corn syrup, and 1T chopped green onion. Wrap with the thinnest bacon you can find (I like Surefine). Smoke with hickory

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Best Corn Muffins Ever

1 3/4 c. cornmeal
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. shortening
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c. whole milk
1/4 c. buttermilk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
4 Tbl. honey

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grind the cornmeal at high speed in a food processor for 5 minutes or until some of it has become flour. Pour ground cornmeal into a large bowl with the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda and whisk together. In a separate bowl, cream together the eggs, sugar, shortening and vanilla using an electric mixer. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and add the remaining ingredients. Stir together with a rubber spatula until smooth. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter, pour a little heavy whipping cream on top (very important) , and bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and take a cold stick of butter and rub over the top of the rolls until each is coated.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
I will have to try the Corn muffins.

Most of my brines are saltwater. I'm trying to expand. This winter I want to buy a Haffner to slaughter and I'm gonna get a hog trap for the house. First thing is first a deep chest freezer

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I actually prefer dry brines over wet ones, especially for chicken breasts. I suggest you try several on whole chickens, apply under the skin. Don't use the beer can method, spatchcock them, they cook much more evenly.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Amazing Jalapeño Beer Sauce

1 quart ketchup (32oz.)
1 Beer (12oz.)
1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
4 tbls. Coarse Salt
1 tbl. Garlic Powder
1 tbl. Cayenne Powder
1 tbl. Chili Powder
1 1/2 stick Butter
3-6 Jalapeno Peppers, fresh

You may want to cut the recipe in half

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
1 packer brisket- trim the fat cap to an even 1/8", let sit on counter for 4 hours to come to room temperature
Cover liberally in Montreal Steak Seasoning
Smoke brisket, fat cap up, @ 225 degrees in a mix of hickory, post oak, and a little mesquite for 8-10 hours
After 3 hours check temperature with digital meat thermometer once per hour
Cook to internal temp of 185-190
Cut brisket against grain in 1/8" slices
Sauce optional(not required if you did it right)

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Hey magnus what do you use beer sauce on? Pork,chicken,or beef? Or all the above. It sounds tasty as hell.

Chicken or pork, but would also be fantastic with shredded beef. Every time I make this for guests, I'm always told I should bottle it and sell it. Hard to eat regular BBQ sauce after having this. Tweak it to your liking, I like the tangy heat of the jalapeños, so I bump them up and add Frank's if I want more heat. Goes really well with smoked chicken legs or wings.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
Why didn't someone start this thread some time ago? We do need more input. Unless not that men people know how to bbq