©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Blood Pressure meds for cycle only

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Does anyone run BP meds only while they're on cycle?

My blood pressure is normally really good, but the last time I went to the doctor I was in the middle of some personal things that were stressing me out and my blood pressure was slightly elevated. Nothing to be worried about, but he did offer to write me a script for BP meds if I wanted it.

I passed at the time, but I'm thinking about getting him to set me up with them the next time I go in. I can bump my blood pressure up pretty easily.

I thought since cycling does elevate my blood pressure a little, it might be a reasonable safety precaution to keep some BP meds on hand and run them just during the time that I'm on cycle. Anyone have any thoughts?

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
First, let me say that just like with AAS, everybody responds differently with bp meds, and often have to try several different types before finding the right one that works for them (according to my dr). I will say that the one he prescribed me-Tenoretic 50- didn't do jack shit for my bp while on. My bp was around 160/100 when i visited the office on cycle, and remained there even after a month on Tenoretic. Very unhealthy situation. I dropped to low dose trt (100mg a week) and its now down to 129/89 a week ago. I go in to see my doc tomorrow morning for refill and bloodwork. I haven't been honest with him about my use of steroids (which he last time asked me if that's what i was up to), so idk how I'm gonna convince him to try another bp med when he sees the improvement-which wasn't from the meds, just coming off...anyways, based on my experience, Tenoretic doesn't help with AAS induced hypertension. So you might want to keep that in mind. However like i said, just bc it didn't work for me, doesn't necessarily mean it won't work for you.

nothuman

Donating Member
Jan 3, 2013
I use telmisartan year round and I don't even have bp issues. There are just so many benefits to using telmisartan in particular.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Is it a bp med with a diuretic in it? In the summer I take Lisinopril with out the diuretic, because I work outside and have gotten dehydrated. In the colder months, I sometimes switch to a the Lisinpril Hctz, which has a diuretic. The reason I am asking, is because you may have to watch you potassium intake or you could be subject to back pumps, etc. Diuretics can deplete your potassium levels, from what I understand. I would also make sure you moniter your BP on cycle. Good luck brother...

rangerjockey

Donating Member
Jan 16, 2014
Island life
buy a monitor, I have been on BP meds for years Lisinopril 40mg's. Mine is hereditary, bloods are always good with gear. As I age I will be on stronger and stronger meds. I have been documenting my mothers history and her rx course and I have been a carbon copy.

baldpaul

Jun 8, 2015
I have been on BP meds for 5yrs, beta blockers to be exact. dont forget guys that the standards for what has been considered high blood pressure has been dropping over the years for the reason i believe is to widen the sales market. anyway bottom number is most important dont get freaked out if your systolic is 150 or even 160 when your in the docs office that can go up just from white coat syndrome. your diastolic is more critical if tahts in the 70 to 80 range dont sweat it. I am 55yrs old mainly do trt to the tune of 650 to 700 mg a week with a couple cycles of D-bol a year with Doc prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate 100mg a day and it keeps me at 140/70. And Doc says thats fine. plus my heart rate at rest is 58 to 63 bpm

Last edited:

nothuman

Donating Member
Jan 3, 2013
I have been on BP meds for 5yrs, beta blockers to be exact. dont forget guys that the standards for what has been considered high blood pressure has been dropping over the years for the reason i believe is to widen the sales market. anyway bottom number is most important dont get freaked out if your systolic is 150 or even 160 when your in the docs office that can go up just from white coat syndrome. your diastolic is more critical if tahts in the 70 to 80 range dont sweat it. I am 55yrs old mainly do trt to the tune of 650 to 700 mg a week with a couple cycles of D-bol a year with Doc prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate 100mg a day and it keeps me at 140/70. And Doc says thats fine. plus my heart rate at rest is 58 to 63 bpm

INCORRECT! Top/systolic is THE most important number!

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...-Readings_UCM_301764_Article.jsp#.Vk32bvmrTIU

"Typically more attention is given to the top number (the systolic blood pressure) as a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease for people over 50 years old. In most people, systolic blood pressure rises steadily with age due to increasing stiffness of large arteries, long-term build-up of plaque, and increased incidence of cardiac and vascular disease."

There are many other links that state this as well if you want to google it. In the old days, people thought diastolic was more important but it was proven to be false. Too bad bc my diastolic is always between 55-65 and my systolic hovers around 110-120

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
buy a monitor, I have been on BP meds for years Lisinopril 40mg's. Mine is hereditary, bloods are always good with gear. As I age I will be on stronger and stronger meds. I have been documenting my mothers history and her rx course and I have been a carbon copy.

Any sides with the Lisinopril? I know its prescribed a lot. I have some that also contain a diuretic with it (HCLZ)

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago
I use Coreg. Beta blockers are the way to go if your heart is wired to ramp up. But each med works for a different pathway of high blood pressure.

pitshack

Dec 10, 2014
Hey ASHOP, about the only side i get from lisinopril is this weird itch in my throat every now and again that makes me cough a bit for a few minutes. Oh, I also take HCTZ. What Chris said is right. HCTZ will lower your potassium. This is easily countered with a multivitamin or some high potassium foods like bananas and sweet potatoes.

HCTZ at 25 mg. worked like a champ for me for several years, even through my first cycle, but fucking stress is getting the better of me lately so my doc threw in the lisinopril 10 mg. Now I'm usually around 128/90.

I also tried inderal (propanolol) a beta blocker, it didn't work to well for me. Like it has been said, everyone responds differently to meds.

baldpaul

Jun 8, 2015
I hear what your saying Moneyshot, but my Cardiologist must be old school, because he said he wasn't to concerned when my Bp topped out at 204/72 before the Metoprolol. because mt diastolic was in the low 70s. Frankly I dont put much trust in Doctors anyway, They all have there own theory's. Why do you think they call it Medical PRACTICE Lol

nothuman

Donating Member
Jan 3, 2013
I hear what your saying Moneyshot, but my Cardiologist must be old school, because he said he wasn't to concerned when my Bp topped out at 204/72 before the Metoprolol. because mt diastolic was in the low 70s. Frankly I dont put much trust in Doctors anyway, They all have there own theory's. Why do you think they call it Medical PRACTICE Lol

I think you definitely need to consider a new doctor if your current one only follows old outdated practices that no longer hold true.

psych

WPF Champion / Donating Member
Nov 4, 2013
Chicago

As an RN, I will tell you to go see a new doctor......I may be mainly psychiatric care, but that info you gave is unnerving.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in

No offesnse to you at all but your doctor is an IDIOT!! 204/72 is deadly for some. When mines over 140/80 my doc gets concerned. High BP for too long is VERY hard on your heart and other internal organs.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
High bp is the silent killer and leads to many different problems with your health. I hope to god that was a typo cuz generally anything over 160-175 is deadly little lone fucking 204 get yourself a new doctor. I take metoprolol and it usually keeps it under 135-140.

baldpaul

Jun 8, 2015
Its down to 140/70, and on occasions its 140/67. I just was diagnosed with Hemochromatosis which explains why I had such an issue with EQ over the summer which is what caused my bp to spike in the first place. I am going to start getting drained on a regular basis.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
My choice also for the same reasons.

Ak

What are the reasons? I did a quick Google search but couldn't find anything.

Is it like Metformin, where it lowers mortality rate and things like that?