©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

delt pain

deadlift

Jan 30, 2005
curious, when I had tendonitis in the elbow
my sports medicine doc shot some cortisone into it
and it basically healed...
now I have some shoulder pain and a full gearbox...
is there anything I can inject myself (like deca)
into the delt, that a sports medicine doctor would do anyway?
or is this playing with fire?

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
The cortisone did not heal it. It is masking the pain. It will eventually come back. The only way to heal it is surgery. He may give you another shot but I doubt it. Cortisone kind of degrades the area that it is injected into. There have been a few posts about a new drug called "adequan." You may want to do some research on it.

deadlift

Jan 30, 2005
thats weird man, that shot was like 3 months ago
and bingo, no more tendonitis...what about the shoulder?
wait it out? and ugh...not train?

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
Cortisone shots could last a year or a month, you never know. I know guys who switch doc's everytime they need a shot. I had one in my right elbow and I noticed immediately that it was weaker than the left. I wouldn't wait it out(like I'm doing with my knee) see what the doc says.

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
deadlift said:
curious, when I had tendonitis in the elbow
my sports medicine doc shot some cortisone into it
and it basically healed...
now I have some shoulder pain and a full gearbox...
is there anything I can inject myself (like deca)
into the delt, that a sports medicine doctor would do anyway?
or is this playing with fire?

What does the pain feel like? Is it a burning pain or actual joint pain?

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
i would say do not do surgery..
the shoulder is so complex that most doctors will not even give you a garuntee on their work. I had anterior ligament reconstruction on my right shoulder and i still have the same problems as before surgery.

if it's just joint pain, take some msm and chondritin. Anti-inflamitories will help as well. See where it goes from that, cortisone shots are some heavy shit.

STEELADDICTION

Apr 1, 2004
dugie82 said:
i would say do not do surgery..
the shoulder is so complex that most doctors will not even give you a garuntee on their work. I had anterior ligament reconstruction on my right shoulder and i still have the same problems as before surgery.

if it's just joint pain, take some msm and chondritin. Anti-inflamitories will help as well. See where it goes from that, cortisone shots are some heavy shit.

I have to disagree on this one. I went through 1 year of cortisone shots and physical therapy with no improvement to my shoulder pain. It was to the point I couldn't lift anymore. The Doctor went in an shaved off bone spurs and took 2 inches of clavicle out. If it was not for the surgery, I wouldn't be lifting anymore. Pain is no fun to deal with, especialy in the shoulders. Depending on the problem, if the Doc thinks surgery will help, I would do it in a heart beat. Hopefully Deadlift will not need surgery. Just my 2 cents.

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
STEELADDICTION said:
I have to disagree on this one. I went through 1 year of cortisone shots and physical therapy with no improvement to my shoulder pain. It was to the point I couldn't lift anymore. The Doctor went in an shaved off bone spurs and took 2 inches of clavicle out. If it was not for the surgery, I wouldn't be lifting anymore. Pain is no fun to deal with, especialy in the shoulders. Depending on the problem, if the Doc thinks surgery will help, I would do it in a heart beat. Hopefully Deadlift will not need surgery. Just my 2 cents.

i'm guessing we're talking about 2 diff things, bones and ligs.

I had major problems with my range of motion and dislocation/subbloxing. He cut the lig causing my shoulder to slip out of joint, folded it over itself and sewed it back together. Watched the whole surgery on video afterwards, took 3 hours to perform the entire thing. Unfortunately wrestling and football caused my shoulder to start acting up and dislocating again. Just today it dislocated 3 times, i know i have some serious nerve damage mainly because it doesnt hurt anymore. Also i'm going to try to schedual surgery before college(while i'm still under medical insurance and not a full time student).

Last edited: