©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

work options

aon1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
I have no doubt this thread will go nowhere but worth a shot.....it kinda goes with Sully's thread but didn't want to high jack his.......

What kind of work could a guy with skills and ability to learn about anything get into that would keep him and his family traveling all the time.....sorta working so your family can be on permanent vacation.....doesn't have to be a get rich deal just a non stop vacation with fair living wage?

Needs to be able to cover med expenses and college one day for the kids.....I just don't believe in the free ride welfare so I need to cover a few things with the work but don't have to live like a king at all.......

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I have no experience with either and I am not sure about a permanent vacation but working for the rail road pays well and is like 2 weeks on and one off or a commercial contracting. Like guys who build Applebees and so forth. You wont get rich but they compensate you because your always traveling.

Hawk

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
I've never thought about traveling construction like that with the chain builderz.......I've been on job sights since I was walking ......kind of got burnt out on it and went different directions may have look again......thanks hawk got me thinking again

Keep em coming I've got to do something shortly

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Without schooling limits your options a bit. I agree with hawk, you could get on a chain crew. I've done many chain builds where they just send a supervisor and hire local subs. Landing one of these may be something to consider. Cool thing is if they finish before the deadline, the rest of the time is off till the next scheduled build.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
The above is one of the only things I can think of considering you are factoring in the family aspect. I would think having the family involved you would not want to be continuously traveling and would want to put down roots so that your children were not always bouncing around and could form strong bonds/friendships with other children as they grow?

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Best thing I can think of is traveling nurses. Got a buddy that on the FD that got his RN before he retired, plus his wife was already a nurse. About the same time he retired his last kid was going off to college, so him and the wife did the traveling nurse thing together. They do 3-6 month contracts all over the world, and they get to pick wherever they want to go. He retired 4-5 years ago, and he's sent me pics from Hawaii, San Diego, Florida, Denver, somewhere in the Bahamas, and a bunch of other places. They both make great money doing it, the hospitals usually pay for their place to live and travel expenses, and if they don't like a certain place or hospital they're only there for a few months.

Last time I talked to him they were looking at going international. They had a couple hospitals in New Zealand that they were looking at, and I think he said something about South America, too.

I thought about it for a minute, but I just couldn't do health care.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
The above is one of the only things I can think of considering you are factoring in the family aspect. I would think having the family involved you would not want to be continuously traveling and would want to put down roots so that your children were not always bouncing around and could form strong bonds/friendships with other children as they grow?

I feel like the whole putting down roots thing is overrated. Growing up in a military family, I never lived in the same place for more than 3 years. Even now I like to move around every couple years, even if it's just to a new town, or a different house in the same town.

I don't think it hurts kids to move around and get to see different places and meet new people that they wouldn't otherwise get to. Growing up in Germany and getting to go places that other people only get to see on TV is an experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. And I don't think it hurt me in any appreciable way. Other than the occasional ongoing bout of serial murder, I'm a perfectly well adjusted adult that had an extraordinary childhood experiencing the world and it's many varied cultures. :D

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Hmm...interesting perspectives. I lean towards the staying grounded as I think of extra carricular activities etc...However, I have known other military brats who turned out just fine. The key I suspect is good parenting.

Hawk

rangerjockey

Donating Member
Jan 16, 2014
Island life
I have to agree with you Sully, I have several friends who became RN's and travel all over the world. They get perdium (SP?) pay, salary, overtime.....and are on a constant vacation. ONe of them only works 6-7 months a year.

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
I've got a friend that's a nurse I need to ask her about it and see what all avenues there is there ....

I do worry about my kids being isolated, we already have them in private on line school, but hope the experiences they get from the amount of travel we do and the amount of time there mom and I put in out weigh it and just make them very independent rather than making them withdrawn etc....

Glad I posted up I've gotten some input here that wasn't considered at all .....got my gears turning.....thanks for the input the more ideas I have to consider the better the path hopefully

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I've got a friend that's a nurse I need to ask her about it and see what all avenues there is there ....

I do worry about my kids being isolated, we already have them in private on line school, but hope the experiences they get from the amount of travel we do and the amount of time there mom and I put in out weigh it and just make them very independent rather than making them withdrawn etc....

Glad I posted up I've gotten some input here that wasn't considered at all .....got my gears turning.....thanks for the input the more ideas I have to consider the better the path hopefully

I don't think it makes kids feel isolated. It creates a stronger familial bond, which is something that a lot of kids are missing out on today. With both parents having to work full time jobs to keep the bills paid, too many kids grow up without real parents these days. I think having 2 dedicated, loving parents that are around and involved is by far the best thing you can do for your kids. And exposing them to the different cultures, geographies, people and political climates that the world has to offer only strengthens them and makes them a more well rounded person.

I live in KY, literally 5 minutes from being in Indiana, and I know people here that don't like to go over to Indiana because the people there are "weird" and a bunch of other stupid reasons. Their entire world extends no further than 10 minutes from their house. To me, raising kids that are afraid to leave the town they live in would be one of the most cruel things you could do to them.

Because of how I grew up and the experiences I had, I could wake up tomorrow in any random country anywhere in the world with no money or idea where I was, and I'd be just fine. Too many people get to the end of their life and regret that they didn't see more of the world. If you have the opportunity to give a gift like that to your kids while they're still young and forming a picture of the world, you absolutely should.

Not to mention that being immersed in other cultures and spending time in and among the people in other countries is one of the best ways to prevent kids from developing prejudices and negative feelings about people that are different that them. Kids learn very quickly to appreciate the differences and to look past the color of someone's skin or the language they speak. They figure out that people all over the world are all basically the same. We all want the same basic things in life.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I should add that this is all just my own opinion based on my experiences growing up in a military family. In no way am I taking shots at anyone here as a parent. I fully understand and appreciate that we are all in unique situations and I'm positive that everyone here does the absolute best that they can for their family within the constraints of their particular situations. Hopefully no one felt that I was taking a shot at them or their parenting skills if they have not or cannot take their kids all over the globe. We all make the best decisions we can for us and ours, and for many people that does not include extensive amounts of travel, and that's perfectly understandable.

I don't even have kids of my own (that I know of), so WTF do I know? I'm just an opinionated asshole with a big mouth and no filter. Hopefully nobody took my rantings the wrong way.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Everyone has great points. I second the railroads and would suggest something with the ocean. If you wsnt to travel the world and a degree is limited. Maybe there is something you can do as a merchant marine or commercial fisherman, shit idk. Ingrew up bouncing around and it made me a tyoe of person that can easily make friends. I fit into any crowd and can start up comversations about all sorts of things. I think being anti social comes from the household and how the kids are raised. Travel ball for sports is better than rec ball and scouts check their 2nd after highschools. So kids in soorts still have a chance at a scholarship.

aon1

Dec 10, 2013
dark side of Olympus
Just a few updates and thinking out loud about what I've found here so far .

It seems that most any route I take is going to require going back to college. I'm not so much against that and am capable of doing it as the time frame. By the time I would pull it off my kids would be pretty much grown and not really sure at that age if the degree would be worth the sacrifices my family would have to make for it now.

An example would be the nursing would be 4.5 years if I hit it full time and alot of cash but it would pay for itself fairly quick. The construction side even though I have years of experience and knowledge to pull off a job path that keeps the family together comfortably,even a project manager is around a five year program.
I'm not done researching this yet I could do electrical courses,plumbing,hvac etc with the back ground I already have and test out of alot of the classes shortening the college time.

Really though with my background and experience if I'm going to do a 5 year I'm better off to just buckle down and become a architect. It's 5 years and internship but with my back ground and already having some college drafting I could speed it up a little.
I've always been able to visualize any project from top to bottom in my head before the first batn board, or string is set. When I built my house I looked at the land I had to work with,what materials I had , and seen every board,nail,light switch etc and just built it, no plans just the picture in my head. I do the same with a blueprint I can look at it and I immediately see every inch of the finished project . The thing is I'm not so sure it's not to late in the game for going that big to be worth it in the long haul. Don't get me wrong I'm sure the pay would be awsome but even though it takes a decent amount of pay to live just a normal life anymore I'm not real sure it would be worth it,money isn't everything and I can't buy back that time with my children.

Anyway just a lot of thinking out loud. I come to realize no matter what I do I'm stuck doing what I'm doing know for a bit just to get in the position to do something else. But I may still find something yet.......thoughts?

Last edited:

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
I dont know about traveling 24/7 for a job but if youbwsnt tonstick with construction then maybe union work and hit the travelers books. Take college courses in public works management and get a certification, project management or even waste water treatment. Ive mentioned before about PLC programming for manufacturing plants/etc. Just some more ideas.