©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Any fabricators, builders or makers here?

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
https://shapertools.com

Just found this genius tool today. Preordering mine soon. Check out the videos, it's probably the slickest thing I've seen in a long time. Let me know if you're interested in preordering one, they have a killer referral program. You each get $100 off for every referral, all the way up to the entire cost. Refer enough people and you get one for free.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I posted this same tech up on a different, unrelated forum, and people are shitting on it left and right. Don't understand some people. People were bitching about the price, which I can understand somewhat, but where else can you get a machine for $1500 that can do what this thing can do? It takes 5 grand to touch something comparable in a traditional CNC machine, and that's a tiny bed with limited usefulness.

AR-15

Jan 10, 2016
Festool is the shit when it comes to precision saws I know that for sure. Whoever thinks of their stuff is a genius IMO....AR....

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I posted this same tech up on a different, unrelated forum, and people are shitting on it left and right. Don't understand some people. People were bitching about the price, which I can understand somewhat, but where else can you get a machine for $1500 that can do what this thing can do? It takes 5 grand to touch something comparable in a traditional CNC machine, and that's a tiny bed with limited usefulness.

Funny how the internet turns everyone into a critic. Go to a trades how and people will be drooling all over it.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
A laser guided router...very cool.

But, honestly first I would have to learn to use a computer. Secondly, now a computer geek is going to try and replace, my speed square, plumb bob and chalk line. Hopefully it can't cope or I'll be out of a job lol.

Hawk

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
It's actually got the software built in to the machine for programming shapes and cuts. Looks to be pretty easy to use, but we won't know for sure until it starts shipping next year. I'll let u know how well it works.

And, I honestly don't see this as a contractors tool, though. Most of what contractors do is typically a little rough and gets hidden later by finish work. This doesn't seem like the right tool for what most contractors do, IMO.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Damn some one beat me to my idea. Basically a two handed router that mounts an android/apple os phone or tablet with a program using the camera as a sensory device that enabkes the ooerstor to see his cutting area and stay within tolerance levels. Next thing would be to utilize lazers for accuracy.

Cool tool for sure.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
I dunno how much more accurate it can get. They say accuracy within 1/100th of an inch already. What I'm looking for in the future is a u it that doesn't have to be controlled by the user. Basically, just program your cut and lay it on the workpiece and it moves itself. That would be incredible.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Man just a few weeks ago i watched a youtube video about a fabricator who made his own cnc machine at home. Looked professional as hell too for a fraction of the cost. Im sure stuff would come out like that but seriously how many diy guys want/need a tool like that and can afford it. Supply and demand sucks because it dictates pricing so much.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
It's still an evolving technology, and the company is still pre revenue. The price is a little high at the moment, but I imagine it'll come down fairly quickly. The faster it grows and more useful it becomes the quicker other companies will start to develop their own version. The competition will cause the technology to improve and evolve quicker, and it'll bring the price point down. Pricing is always fluid.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Here's a really good video I just found that shows how well the machine moves the cutting head to compensate for the movement of the operator. The guy uses it to machine some 1/16th inch aluminum sheet. He's actually repairing and upgrading his old 1984 CNC killing machine with his new handheld CNC machine. It's a little on the long side, but if skip forward a few minutes to the actual demonstration on the Shaper Origin unit it gets interesting really fast.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q8GFpSCK6Jk[/ame]

rocco-x

Jan 13, 2009
Damn, I could have used this back when I was into scale modeling and RC aircraft building.
Outta my price range tho for the moment lol!

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Make a mass purchase wholesale and resell at retail price to 80% receiver builders. No jig required lol.