©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Vertical bandsaws for cutting metal

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Anyone have any experience with these? The only affordable vertical bandsaws I can find are for cutting wood, and I'm given to understand that they can't be easily converted to being used for metal. Is there a decently built, affordable option for a full size vertical band saw that works on 120v and isn't a complete piece of shit?

The only option I've been able to find is using a portable bandsaw and mounting it on small stand. I don't hate this option, but it quickly gets into the $4-500 range, and I figure it I'm going to spend that much I might as well and see what I can get in the $800-1000 range. Here's a link to the portaband table. SWAG V4.0 Portaband Table

I'm not opposed to the portaband table, it's just very small and a little limiting. But, if that's my only option for under a Grand, then I'll go that way.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
I have only ever used the 18v hand helds for electrical and plumbing. Ill ask some sheet metal, pipefitters/boiler makers and see if they know of any. There should be something somewhere on the market

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
Nice saw
Could I ask what you are cutting?
My buddy had one like that for cutting meat
I have used them for wood

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Mostly aluminum plate and architectural angle aluminum. Occasionally some steel angle iron or flat stock, but not very often. I'm getting into metal work more and more, and I'm finding out that the proper tools for it are pricey. If it's all going to be this way I'll have to go back to plastics and composites.

squatster

AnaSCI VIP
Mar 27, 2014
There are so many machine shops going our of busseness every moment in the US
And if we get the wrong person in next week you should get them real easy

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
There are so many machine shops going our of busseness every moment in the US
And if we get the wrong person in next week you should get them real easy

Where I'm at they're not going out of business, they're expanding. That's one of the few businesses around here that are thriving.

Robertftw

Aug 10, 2015
Delta, Jet are pretty good, and you can find them with what you want and around your budget. we have a couple in our shop and never have problems with them, and I've been there for 9 years. We use them daily cutting stainless steel to aluminum (different blades of course).

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Delta, Jet are pretty good, and you can find them with what you want and around your budget. we have a couple in our shop and never have problems with them, and I've been there for 9 years. We use them daily cutting stainless steel to aluminum (different blades of course).

The only Delta bandsaw I could find is only for wood. The speed is too high to use for cutting metal, especially steel. And all the Jet bandsaws for metal seem to be a little over my budget. I didn't check the used market for them, but they start at about $1300 new. That's just a little more than I can justify spending on a tool that won't get used that regularly.

Any other suggestions, guys?