©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

A Few Things I would like

micro2000

Jun 15, 2013
Around 2006 i had access to all different types of agar. I made some extra one day and smears some AAS oil on it. Nothing grew which was to be expected as I had filtered everything through a 0.22 and baked it.

Then my buddy kept having some issues characterized by redness and a lot of pain after injects. He never filtered his gear anything else. While it was already a punctured vial i did grab some of that oil and smeared it on a few different types of agar. I had cultures on all of them. I never cared enough to try to identify but obviously he tossed the vial.

My point being is im not sure it matters all that much to test for bacteria. I would just assume every time that UG gear is NOT perfectly sterile and all users should take the necessary precautions. for "fun" one could smear it on some agar and see and do the best you can not to contaminate it. Its kind of easy to tell if its truely a airborne contaminate though based on the pattern of growth on the agar so a full hood isnt needed. Heck in medical school we never used a hood when isolating and it worked out fine "most" of the time.

With respect to heavy metals. I believe the list you have is a good start. I have no useful info as to how to test for them these days. The tests i saw were on raw powders not oils and were likely posted on AFboard back in the day as that was the website i was most on around that era.
Moderate to heavy contamination is easy to observe, but with low levels of contamination in an uncontrolled environment by an inexperienced person it's not likely. If you get one colony on the plate is that from the air, the analyst or the sample? I've witnessed an experienced microbiologist contaminate plates by mouth breathing while plating samples. It's distinguishable but you have to know what you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

janoshik

AnaSCI Approved Tester
Mar 7, 2016
www.janoshik.com
Around 2006 i had access to all different types of agar. I made some extra one day and smears some AAS oil on it. Nothing grew which was to be expected as I had filtered everything through a 0.22 and baked it.

Then my buddy kept having some issues characterized by redness and a lot of pain after injects. He never filtered his gear anything else. While it was already a punctured vial i did grab some of that oil and smeared it on a few different types of agar. I had cultures on all of them. I never cared enough to try to identify but obviously he tossed the vial.

My point being is im not sure it matters all that much to test for bacteria. I would just assume every time that UG gear is NOT perfectly sterile and all users should take the necessary precautions. for "fun" one could smear it on some agar and see and do the best you can not to contaminate it. Its kind of easy to tell if its truely a airborne contaminate though based on the pattern of growth on the agar so a full hood isnt needed. Heck in medical school we never used a hood when isolating and it worked out fine "most" of the time.

With respect to heavy metals. I believe the list you have is a good start. I have no useful info as to how to test for them these days. The tests i saw were on raw powders not oils and were likely posted on AFboard back in the day as that was the website i was most on around that era.

Correct, when I had my microbiology lessons we didn't really worry too much about contamination either.

But this is something that can break a reputation and cause losses of business at such rates, that unless this is done the right way, it's better to not do it at all.

Laminar flow hood/glove box or at the very least an improvised positive pressure digestorium, disinfection of working surfaces, outside of unopened vials, surgical mask, gloves, sterile filters and autoclaved 'cup' parts of a filter apparatus are simply necessary.

Racepicks

AnaSCI VIP
Jan 5, 2013
Correct, when I had my microbiology lessons we didn't really worry too much about contamination either.

But this is something that can break a reputation and cause losses of business at such rates, that unless this is done the right way, it's better to not do it at all.

Laminar flow hood/glove box or at the very least an improvised positive pressure digestorium, disinfection of working surfaces, outside of unopened vials, surgical mask, gloves, sterile filters and autoclaved 'cup' parts of a filter apparatus are simply necessary.

Jano gave us a few options to consider. I will discuss with buck, rAJJIN and Anasci to come up with a game plan.

As far as I am concerned, and I expressed my concerns to Jano. He said if we cannot do the Testing "the right way, it's better to not do it at all". My feeling is this, if we cannot perform some sort of contamination testing, then it is better not to do the testing at all. I will leave that up to Anasci. Thanks to Jano for his honesty and commitment to the community.

Racepicks

AnaSCI VIP
Jan 5, 2013
The thing I hear over and over.....Generic AAS is not as good as Pharma.

You always hear "EXPERTS" saying that the reason why Pro's look better than most is because they have access to Pharma gear. Bullshit! Pro's look better than most because they work harder and have the genetics that most do not have. We are proving that some of the generic stuff is just as strong, or even stronger than Pharma. Of course, unless you believe that Pharmaceutical Companies add a special chemical that makes their product superior. Look, we're also proving that some generics are weak, but if you stick to the products that test to the mg's that are advertised, you will get the results you get with Pharma!