©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Derek Carr lands $125 million!!

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Sports is one of the rare job markets where the employee is paid 100's of times what they would actually do the job for.

If he was offered 100k per year he'd take it, all of them would, what would be the alternative? Go sell insurance or work in IT for 70?

Pretty bizarre if you think about it. An ode to the fleecing of the fan, who for some reason doesn't seem to care.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Sports is one of the rare job markets where the employee is paid 100's of times what they would actually do the job for.

If he was offered 100k per year he'd take it, all of them would, what would be the alternative? Go sell insurance or work in IT for 70?

Pretty bizarre if you think about it. An ode to the fleecing of the fan, who for some reason doesn't seem to care.

As you mentioned the fans are the reason these athletes are paid ridiculous amounts of money. Just look at those fans that were paying in to that go-fund me account when Tom Brady was suspended. Really, you're going to pay for a guy's suspension that makes 1000x more a week then you make a year??

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
As you mentioned the fans are the reason these athletes are paid ridiculous amounts of money. Just look at those fans that were paying in to that go-fund me account when Tom Brady was suspended. Really, you're going to pay for a guy's suspension that makes 1000x more a week then you make a year??

Ya, it's something I just have never understood.

It's awkward to watch an MVP of a big game get a new car when he makes 250k per week.

I've always been surprised that the average fan just pays it.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
Well the bottom line is. If you have a great player you have to pay like that. It's not so much the fans as it is you don't want another team offering your player more money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Well the bottom line is. If you have a great player you have to pay like that. It's not so much the fans as it is you don't want another team offering your player more money.

Definitely true, it's just a broke system. When the owners tried to break it in the mid 80's with baseball players, the players sued in federal court and won (collusion case). It wasn't collusion as just something simple as the owners all got together and said why are we bidding against each other for something that's not worth it. Courts punished them.

The profit margin to me is just too much at the fans expense, but yet the fans for the most part pay it, so there's no complaint, just something I can't wrap my brain around. The owners shouldn't keep all of the revenue, the players deserve their fair share, the problem is the revenue.

At least imo, a ticket should be $10, free parking, $1 for a hot dog and coke...I really don't see any rationale for what it costs to go to a game. A working man literally has to spend a weeks net salary to see a 2 hour game...just bizarre to me. Not to mention that the teams are now owned by major globalized business' and the markup for the salaries goes deep into other products and goods and services for the owners to keep writing the checks. So it not only fleeces the fans, but just general consumers as well.

Not saying players shouldn't be wealthy, they are unique and nothing wrong with them living an exclusive lifestyle, but there's a difference between being rich, say making 500k per year, and making enough for endless generations of your family to never work, like making 500k per week. Just insane and about as not necessary as anything in life could be.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Definitely true, it's just a broke system. When the owners tried to break it in the mid 80's with baseball players, the players sued in federal court and won (collusion case). It wasn't collusion as just something simple as the owners all got together and said why are we bidding against each other for something that's not worth it. Courts punished them.

The profit margin to me is just too much at the fans expense, but yet the fans for the most part pay it, so there's no complaint, just something I can't wrap my brain around. The owners shouldn't keep all of the revenue, the players deserve their fair share, the problem is the revenue.

At least imo, a ticket should be $10, free parking, $1 for a hot dog and coke...I really don't see any rationale for what it costs to go to a game. A working man literally has to spend a weeks net salary to see a 2 hour game...just bizarre to me. Not to mention that the teams are now owned by major globalized business' and the markup for the salaries goes deep into other products and goods and services for the owners to keep writing the checks. So it not only fleeces the fans, but just general consumers as well.

Not saying players shouldn't be wealthy, they are unique and nothing wrong with them living an exclusive lifestyle, but there's a difference between being rich, say making 500k per year, and making enough for endless generations of your family to never work, like making 500k per week. Just insane and about as not necessary as anything in life could be.

I agree. Ultimately it is the fan that finances the entire company, whether that's the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
Sure the fans do. But it also comes from tv ads and their merchandise. The way to fix that is a set salary and you get a better % of your product. You wanna make more be a standout star and get people to buy your product. But we all need to remember we are the ones to decide what out time is worth. When you work for someone you are selling part of your life for money. You have to be the one that determines how much. If I'm making 500k a year at my job -god I wish - and I got offered a new job making 500k a month or week. Well I'll be a gone mf that's for sure. Do I need that much? No but I could do my retirement after a few years. Move to Montana

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
there are 32 starting quarterback jobs.

there are only about 10-12 guys on the PLANET that can do the job...at least do the job well...

so i dont think these guys are over paid at all...

they are why the fans watch...i mean if all 32 starting quarter backs played like...idk???brock osweiler???i think the ratings/merchandise sales would suffer.

also...these guys are standing in the pocket...trying to read coverage with the biggest...strongest fastest men on the PLANET tyring to smash them...its fucking dangerous out there...playing any position on a football field is dangerous...

if the money wasnt there i think alot of these guys wouldnt be out there...the head trauma thing has a lot of these guys worried...
a few early retirements this year...guys with nice contracts waiting for them to sign said..."no thanks..."ill go sell insurance"or whatever...

derek carr is awesome...im a raiders fan and a fresno st. fan..so when oakland drafted him i was so happy...

i can see derek restructuring that contract in a couple years...
to free up some cap space so he can get a weapon or two.

would be amazing if the raiders went up to foxboro this year and beat the pats in the snow in the afc championship game...

Racepicks

AnaSCI VIP
Jan 5, 2013
I'm from New England. I am a Red Sox fan, Celtics fan, Bruins fan, and an Oakland Football Raider fan. My fear with Derek Carr is INJURIES. Last year he suffers a badly dislocated finger, then misses the playoffs with a broken fibula. In contrast, at 40 years old, Tom Brady has never been hurt.

I hope these injuries were just a coincidence and not the norm for the rest of his career.

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
I'm from New England. I am a Red Sox fan, Celtics fan, Bruins fan, and an Oakland Football Raider fan. My fear with Derek Carr is INJURIES. Last year he suffers a badly dislocated finger, then misses the playoffs with a broken fibula. In contrast, at 40 years old, Tom Brady has never been hurt.

I hope these injuries were just a coincidence and not the norm for the rest of his career.

the finger seemed like a fluke...

as far as the broken leg...i think he learned his lesson...

he was back there fucking around...trying to be cute with what???a 28 point lead???
he should have just thrown the ball away on that play...

carr gets rid of the ball quick...i dont see injuries being a problem.

brady tore his knee up.ACL???...missed a whole season...2008 i believe...

Racepicks

AnaSCI VIP
Jan 5, 2013
Yeah, you're right, W2T. Maybe I'm just paranoid!

Oct 10, 2014
Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2
Brady rolled his ankle in a practice and wasn't forced to miss any games due to it.

Sep 2, 2014
Leg Calf Strain
Brady missed a practice 5 days before the 2014 season due to a calf strain but was healthy by week 1.

Sep 1, 2011
Pedal Foot Fracture
Brady fractured his foot but played through the pain and miraculously didn't miss a game. He later had surgery on his foot in January.

Nov 7, 2010
Pedal Foot Sprain
Brady sprained his foot during a practice but was 100% healthy by game day.

Sep 7, 2008
Knee ACL Tear Grade 3
Brady tore his ACL in the first quarter of week 1 placing him on the IR for the remainder of the season.