©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Chest Flyes???

bodyjohn

Jul 26, 2017
Ive heard Flyes are useless and ive heard flyes are great. What do you guys think about it?

regards!

zacharykane

Apr 6, 2017
I like doing them as a finisher exercise after I'm nice and warmed up and have a good pump going. I'm a fan of incorporating some weighted stretches at the end of my workouts and that's usually when and how I'll do flyes.

Fitraver

Aug 12, 2017
If they were good enough for arnold they're good enough for me. I do them his style with a huge stretch at the bottom. I love them.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I love flyes and the pec dec. I often use them as pre exhaust for chest excersises

I do them on the pec dec as a pre exhaust as well. High reps, relatively low weight, long tight squeeze on the contraction. My favorite is doing them one arm at a time. It really targets the inner part of the chest and I believe helps to build that pronounced separation between the pectoral muscles.

Flyes are not an exercise I would do with a lot of weight, or at the end of a workout when I'm tired and my form might be less than excellent. That's just my opinion.

julsteve

Jul 27, 2017
Definitely a must in any good chest routine imo. I am referring to bodybuilding though, maybe powerlifters wouldnt use this movement or at least too often but to be a bodybuilder I would DEFINITELY include it. I think they stimulate your chest more than a pressing movement. Your pecs are used to bringing your arms medially and thats how you flex them as well. Flies are no doubt a good chest exercise.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
flyes???

I love flyes and the pec dec. I often use them as pre exhaust for chest excersises

Same here...As my body's broken down over the years and the shoulders can no longer handle the bench for chest I've used a lot more fly variations to help keep the chest pumped.

mytreefiddy

IFBB Pro / Donating Member
Jan 1, 2013
I love em as well.....db and cable...... DB i'll do on an Incline ...HEAVY ..focusing more on the negative...nice and slow... on a cable (which I call the Robot...that 2 armed thing at most gyms)... i'll adjust it so my starting point is standing like in a Cross position.. hands are like at 9 o clock and 3 o clock...bringing arms forward til my palms are practically touching....squeeze the fuck out of it and repeat....nice and slow.. BIG ARCH... not too heavy as it'll pull you back to the machine... Heavy DB's I like to do early while the cable i'll do last...

Mini Truck

NPC Judge
Nov 19, 2011
Earth, for now
I prefer slight incline or slight decline........yes declines hit upper pecs!
Or pec dec..... but the key is reps, so 4 x 25 with 30 second rests
works very well after a Rest Pause set or two.

Try it :lightbulb:!

-MT

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
I like flys. Most guys say it helps to shape/define but not for mass gain. I like to superset flys and press for a killer burn and pump.

RamboStallone

Jul 2, 2017
I like an incline pressing movement followed by a fly movement for my chest workouts. My delts overpower my chest though so don't listen to me lol.

Mini Truck

NPC Judge
Nov 19, 2011
Earth, for now
RS,

Just a thought;

Maybe just do a few progressive sets of side laterals followed by a rest pause set of side laterals after chest and that'd it for delts.

I do the same for rear delts after back and it seems to be better for
balancing your chest and delts out. So No Pressing Movement for delts????????????????????

Maybe???????????? Worth a 3 month trial?????????

-MT

I like an incline pressing movement followed by a fly movement for my chest workouts. My delts overpower my chest though so don't listen to me lol.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
I still do flyes. Arms bent like grabbing a Barrell. A stretch at the bottom. Just not too heavy anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RamboStallone

Jul 2, 2017
RS,

Just a thought;

Maybe just do a few progressive sets of side laterals followed by a rest pause set of side laterals after chest and that'd it for delts.

I do the same for rear delts after back and it seems to be better for
balancing your chest and delts out. So No Pressing Movement for delts????????????????????

Maybe???????????? Worth a 3 month trial?????????

-MT
That's actually exactly what I am doing. I train push, pull, legs split. On push day I do chest, delts, and triceps of course. I only do side laterals for delts and sometimes throw in reverse pec dec for rear delts. It has definitely helped brother, thanks for the tip!

jmac 21

Dec 2, 2013
I use a pec deck as the last exercise on chest days. 10-12 reps, really just for an extra pump.

Fitraver

Aug 12, 2017
Try 25+ reps for a few sets with 30 second rests.

That'll give you an Extra pump.

-MT

My coach has me hitting this chest flye variation day and I'm loving it. Just finished up today. The pump is awesome!

Underhand Chest Front DB Raises: 17.5x12x4 (slow focus on squeezing bicep into pec and going cross body to other shoulder)

Incline DB Flyes: 35x12x4 (6 second negative and pause stretch at bottom)

Cable Crossovers (high pulley): 40x25x3 (stand almost straight up and touch palms together straight down by crotch, squeeze like crazy at top of contraction where it is shortest)

Cable Crossovers (low Pulley): 30x25x3 (walk forward, trying to squeeze biceps to pecs and reaching palms to up out in front of face, squeeze like crazy at top of contraction where it is shortest)

Incline DB Bench Press: 80x11x4 (going for 10) (slow full reps all the way down, push thru chest)

Peck Deck: 145x15x4 (control negative, and push palms together at contraction for a 3 second pause squeezing like crazy) (seat all the way down and squeeze out In Front of forehead elbows by ears to hit upper chest)

Flat DB Bench Press: 85x10x4 (slow full reps all the way down, push thru chest)

Bosu Ball Push-ups: bwxfailx4

Mini Truck

NPC Judge
Nov 19, 2011
Earth, for now
Fit,

31 sets or did I miss count?

=MT

My coach has me hitting this chest flye variation day and I'm loving it. Just finished up today. The pump is awesome!

Underhand Chest Front DB Raises: 17.5x12x4 (slow focus on squeezing bicep into pec and going cross body to other shoulder)

Incline DB Flyes: 35x12x4 (6 second negative and pause stretch at bottom)

Cable Crossovers (high pulley): 40x25x3 (stand almost straight up and touch palms together straight down by crotch, squeeze like crazy at top of contraction where it is shortest)

Cable Crossovers (low Pulley): 30x25x3 (walk forward, trying to squeeze biceps to pecs and reaching palms to up out in front of face, squeeze like crazy at top of contraction where it is shortest)

Incline DB Bench Press: 80x11x4 (going for 10) (slow full reps all the way down, push thru chest)

Peck Deck: 145x15x4 (control negative, and push palms together at contraction for a 3 second pause squeezing like crazy) (seat all the way down and squeeze out In Front of forehead elbows by ears to hit upper chest)

Flat DB Bench Press: 85x10x4 (slow full reps all the way down, push thru chest)

Bosu Ball Push-ups: bwxfailx4