©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Case study of 4 bodybuilders using steroids for many years

maldorf

Aug 15, 2007
I am not going to paraphrase and spoon feed the info in this study here. I am going to summarize some of the things I found interesting in this study. You then need to read through this study carefully, and pay close attention. Hopefully the terminology wont throw you off.

Here are some things I found rather interesting. The average age of the 4 guys in this study is 30 yrs old. They all had a normal resting heart rate and normal blood pressure. Anabolic steroids have been proven to increase the chances of getting a blood clot, CLINICALLY PROVEN. They have been proven to cause hypertrophy(thickening) of the heart in all walls, and this reverses considerably once they get off the steroids. The stiffening of the heart and lack of contractility (hypokenetic) do not seem to get better after steroids are stopped. Anabolic steroids bring on fibrotic changes in the heart(scar tissue like) and they think a lot of it is mediated by aldosterone. These fibrotic changes can be fought by taking spironolactone. I myself now take spironolactone because my cardiologist told me to. I now do what my doctor tells me to do. (PLEASE NOBODY GO SELF MEDICATING YOURSELF WITH SPIRONOLACTONE PLEASE!!)

Patient #2 almost died during exercise testing from an arrythmia . He had to be shocked several times to stop tachycardia and to avoid any further ventricular fibrillation. he did start to fibrillate some. I had this very same experience and now have a defibrillator planted in my chest. This patient was fooling around very foolishly with high doses of clen trying to get ready for a contest. I guess he didnt care if he died as long as he got a trophy.

Patient 4 had 3 blood clots when admitted to the hospital, yes 3!! One in his left leg, one in his right ventricle, and one in his left ventricle.

All patients resumed taking steroids eventually. Patient 4 left the study as soon as his blood clots were clear and was never heard from again. Bullheaded, ah those docs dont know nothin.

Just sit and spend some time. Most of you on here want to be educated on steriods, and its good that you see what can happen to the heart. Now I know many of you are going to think that they are taking mega doses and this isnt going to happen to me. It is hard to figure out what table one exactly means. I dont know if those #s are weekly doses or what, but they are on the high end. Looks like several grams of test a week maybe. Cannot really tell for certain how to interpret the table. It is foolish to throw away your conern for heart health in this matter thinking that the only reason they had trouble was the high doses. The effects here are additive,and collect over many years. these young men averaged age 30, and so they really had not been using all that long. Looking at the study, it seems the average years of usage was just 8 years. Even if someone were using 1/2 the dose, what will their heart look like in 16 years? 20 years? These men were 30 years old and hearts weaker than a healthy 90 year old man's. There is a good chance my father may out live me and he is 72 years old. Much healthier than I am.

Here is a link to the study.

http://eurheartj.oxfordjournals.org/.../1576.full.pdf

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
Maldorf, It's good to have you over here posting! You bring a lot to the forum buddy. Very interesting views. Your the one member that's truly been an advocate of heath since I have known you. :)

Viking

Nov 11, 2011
Interesting study. Really makes you think. General health is so important but I am most worried about my heart so try to do everything I can to keep it strong.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
The link does not work now. I wanted to see if these were 4 random users. Looking at the original post it seems all of the 4 guys were already having issues? One almost died during the study so surely he was aware he wasn't of the best health beforehand. Steroids do damage health so I am not giving excuses but these 4 guys seem to have been handpicked for a reason. The steroids were likely to blame for their ill health but just curious if these were picked due to existing issues or just 4 random and considered healthy people? We all know the damage steroids can cause but you don't get many 30 years olds from every 4 people using aas with all these issues.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
The more I read things like this the more I worry about my future. You can't change the past only the future :eek:

BigBob

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 10, 2012
Thanks Maldorf. I have always been a bit cautious with my use of AAS. And i always do cardio. My cardiologist said my echo looked good but 2 chambers were enlarged. he didn't seem too concerned. I keep my blood pressure in check and my diet is pretty tight. I am amazed at how many guys i meet that have no clue as to what or really how much they take. a plumber friend of mine gets his stack at the gym. he cant even pronounce the names of the items hes taking. He just does what the guy tells him.
keep posting. Heart health is so important. Ever since my brother died of a heart attack its been front and center in my goals

hemipower

Donating Member
Jul 2, 2012
Moderation is key and getting regular checkups with increasing regularity as you age. At some point cutting back to the minimum effective dosages for the long haul is a must...and doing so BEFORE major issues arise would of course be better than being forced to do so...