©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Low carb and insulin

Kafka82

Jan 1, 2015
Have been reading recently about an insulin protocol to be followed for 3 weeks or so max where you take slin while on low carb (less than 50g carbs a day if none) while increasing considerably protein up 2/2.5g per body weight. Basically it's claimed to used glucose through gluconeogenesis in the liver, kidney and muscle to compensate for low carb. The end result should be a dramatic fat loss while gaining lean body mass - I have read about 5 pounds per week. Suggested slin shot would be 2-3 per day like breakfast before and possibly after training.

I kind of see the reasons behind this as with high carbs its easy to get fatter on slin unless you cycle during the week but so limiting the growth effects. Also its easy to get soon resistant to insulin for the same reason.

HAs anyone tried something similar or is a plan for suicide ? :)

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
That's the protocol from a book called Big Fat Bastard. I looked long and hard at that one but never had the balls to do it. Gluconeogenesis is a real thing, but how do you know how well it will perform in YOUR body. We all respond differently. What if your a bad responder to this? HYPO city! Then when you go to carbs to get out of being hypo it takes a couple days just to get back into keto. Anyone that has done keto knows about the head aches going in and out of keto. I just feel like that's about as dangerous s it gets with insulin cycles. NOT ME!

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
I got that book name wrong. It's Big Beyond Belief. Fat Bastard was the name of the chapter in it pertaining to insulin use.

odin

AnaSCI VET
Feb 2, 2007
That's the protocol from a book called Big Fat Bastard. I looked long and hard at that one but never had the balls to do it. Gluconeogenesis is a real thing, but how do you know how well it will perform in YOUR body. We all respond differently. What if your a bad responder to this? HYPO city! Then when you go to carbs to get out of being hypo it takes a couple days just to get back into keto. Anyone that has done keto knows about the head aches going in and out of keto. I just feel like that's about as dangerous s it gets with insulin cycles. NOT ME!

I agree. Insulin and low carbs is not a sensible thing to do. It is asking for trouble. For the sake of some fat loss you can just diet harder or add in cardio. If you want to try 2-3iu insulin at a specific time with no carbs but lot's of aminos that is different but you would still have to be careful. Taking slin through the day with no carbs I just don't see the point in it. It is not fun hanging around the hypo line for long periods.

Victory

Dec 26, 2008
I don't understand why someone would even try this. Sounds stupid to me.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
I only ever used insulin (in this purpose) to quicken my decent back into ketosis following a carb-up similar to BodyOpus. This was probably late 90's or early 2000's. This wasn't extensive either.

Not the same as your question, but just sharing.

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I only ever used insulin (in this purpose) to quicken my decent back into ketosis following a carb-up similar to BodyOpus. This was probably late 90's or early 2000's. This wasn't extensive either.

Not the same as your question, but just sharing.

Very similar but this guy is thinking about trying this out over weeks. I suppose if you can do it once or twice you can do it 20 times. I also think it is asking to go hypo then needing sugar which then defeats the object of it all. Kafka82 how much insulin are you planning to use? That is the key question. 1iu insulin would be doable if aminos are used.

Kafka82

Jan 1, 2015
I wasn’t really planning to try that protocol ... but had to say has some interesting point . The protocol I read suggest something like 2-3 shots of insulin like one in The morning and one pre-Workout.
It suggested to start 5iu for each shot and then increase up 10iu.

I have used many times using more standard protocols and I can genuily say that teh 10g of carbs per iu it really depends from person
To person .... and after teh first week with high carbs it’s easy to start developing a bit of Resistance . I used to take insulin for not more than 3 weeks with a shot like 3 on 1 off and so on. Mostly post workout around 15iu.

Jim550

Oct 26, 2012
It is interesting and I can definitely see how it could work but going hypo really makes me question doing it