©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Mayweather in Talks w/UFC

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Floyd Mayweather Jr. in talks for UFC deal, Dana White says

UFC and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are discussing a deal that would bring the undefeated boxer into mixed martial arts, according to UFC president Dana White.

"We're talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal," White told ESPN. "It's real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren't real? He usually tips his hand when he's in the media, and then that s--- ends up happening.

"We're interested in doing something with Floyd. Everything is a realistic possibility. Mayweather vs. McGregor f---ing happened. Anything is possible."

Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) is less than four months removed from an extremely lucrative boxing match against McGregor, UFC's biggest star. After winning the bout via TKO in the 10th round, the 40-year-old promised it would be the final fight of his career.

During a live social media stream earlier this month, however, Mayweather said he could sign with UFC.

"They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back," said Mayweather, via Fight Hype. "I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC. I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three- or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I'm Floyd 'Money' Mayweather."

During the buildup to the McGregor fight, which drew 4.3 million domestic pay-per-view buys, according to Showtime, Mayweather said on several occasions that the two could fight in MMA. Those claims were widely met with skepticism.

Even if Mayweather is serious about a UFC deal, it is highly unlikely he would face McGregor (21-3), UFC's lightweight champion.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission sanctioned a boxing match, but it would be much harder to justify sanctioning an MMA fight, where Mayweather would face an even greater disadvantage than McGregor did in the boxing ring.

According to Showtime, the Mayweather-McGregor event generated more than $600 million in revenue. White told ESPN that global pay-per-view buys settled at around 6.5 million.

"There was no way I thought that fight was going to happen, but when you sit down with a smart guy like [Mayweather adviser] Al Haymon, a very intelligent guy, anything is possible," White said. "And Floyd, as much as he does the money thing and this and that, Floyd was actually very easy to work with. I was impressed."

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Floyd Mayweather quickly shuts down Dana White’s talk of UFC deal: ‘I’m not doing it’

It only took just hours for Floyd Mayweather to completely reject UFC President Dana White's claim that he could compete in an MMA fight.

White said earlier Wednesday that the UFC is talking to Mayweather (50-0 boxing) about crossing over to the octagon. The comments were immediately met with skepticism, but the UFC boss appeared certain it was something that was a "realistic possibility."

Mere hours later, Mayweather, who spurred momentum behind the topic earlier this week when he stated he could make at least $1 billion dollars with a few UFC fights, clarified his original comments while shutting down everything White had to say.

"People said, 'Floyd said, Oh, he'll be fighting in the UFC for a billion dollars' - that's not what I said," Mayweather told FightHype.com. "What I said was this: I made a billion dollars. If I made a billion dollars before, I'll do it again. If I choose to get in the UFC and fight for the UFC, or fight three fights or four fights and then fight Conor McGregor, I could make a billion dollars, which I can. I could do it in three fights or even four fights. I could make a billion dollars.

"If I choose to get in the octagon and fight - fight three fights, three or four fights, and then fight Conor McGregor in the octagon. We just don't know what the future holds for Floyd Mayweather, and I don't look forward to getting back in the boxing ring. That's what I don't look forward to doing. So, I'm just saying, I could (make a billion in the UFC). I'm not doing it. But I'm saying, what I could do is make a billion dollars quick if I wanted to do that. That's what I was saying."

Mayweather is one of the biggest stars in combat sports history. He's participated in the three highest selling pay-per-view matches in boxing history, including an August bout with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC), which sold 4.3 million units in North America, second most all time.

McGregor said both before and after succumbing to a 10th-round TKO loss against Mayweather that he would like to rematch "Money" under the UFC banner. Mayweather has made his lack of interest clear all along the way, which is partially why White's comments were met with a unanimous raising-of-the-eyebrow.

The 40-year-old Mayweather said he's not upset with White's comments, because it's beneficial to keep his name in the media. However, Mayweather once again made it clear a UFC fight is not in the cards.

"I never said I was going to fight in the UFC," Mayweather said. "I didn't say that. I just said if I wanted to and what I could do. 'Would' and 'could' do isn't the same thing. I'm not going to do it, though."

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
AGREED!!! I figured this wouldn't pan out. Maybe in the WWE,,but DEFINITELY not in MMA!!!

:yeahthat:

I never for 1 second thought he would do this. He would get owned by any skilled mma fighter. He isn't stupid and knows exactly how it would end up.