©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Evaluation of anabolic steroid induced renal damage with sonography in bodybuilders.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
I've not read the full study, so I'm not sure on the details of the study. However, it was kind of interesting that the group using Eq had a higher risk. I would have thought group 1 would have had the higher risk of problems.

J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2017 Nov 17. doi: 10.23736/S0022-4707.17.06763-9. [Epub ahead of print]

Evaluation of anabolic steroid induced renal damage with sonography in bodybuilders.

Kantarci UH1, Punduk Z2, Senarslan O3, Dirik A4.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of anabolic steroids on kidneys in bodybuilders.

METHODS:
Twenty two bodybuilders were included in the study. Participants were divided into three groups according to the scheme of steroid usage: Group 1 (n=8, intramuscular 500 mg testosterone enanthate, intramuscular 400 mg nandrolone decanoate and oral 40 mg methandrostenolone for 12 weeks), Group 2 (n=7, intramuscular 500 mg testosterone enanthate, intramuscular 300 mg nandrolone decanoate and intramuscular 300 mg boldenone undecylenate for 16 weeks) and Group 3 (n=7, no steroid intake). Blood urea nitrogen (BUN), creatinine (Cr), urine microalbumin and electrolyte levels were measured. Renal volume, cortical thickness and echogenicity were obtained in ultrasonographic scans.

RESULTS:
Renal volume, cortical thickness, echogenicity and protein intake value were significantly higher in group 2 than group 1 and 3. Plasma levels of BUN and Cr in group 2 were significantly higher than other groups (p ˂ 0.001). Urine microalbumin and electrolyte levels were normal in all groups.

CONCLUSIONS:
The results of this study indicate that high protein intake, steroid usage, particularly the schemes, including boldenone undecylenate increases cortical echogenicity, thickness of renal parenchyma and renal volume in bodybuilders.

PMID: 29148625 DOI: 10.23736/S0022-4707.17.06763-9

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
40mg/day of an oral is almost the same as 300mg/day of EQ. Might have something to do with the long ester of the EQ causing it to build up to much higher levels in the body over the course of the 16 weeks of the study. The oral is going to be active for a short time period and then cleared quickly, so its effect is more acute than EQ. That’s just a wild ass guess, though.

EQ could just as easily have a more concentrated effect on the kidneys than other AAS, the way that nandrolones cause a much more pronounced thickening of the heart walls than other AAS do. Hard to know for sure unless more research is done.

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
Aww man, and I run EQ omce in a while. I grow like a beast on it.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Yea, it's hard to really say without the full study. It was noted by a member at another site, that in addition to not having all the details, the journal does also have a low impact factor of only a 1.2.